Sponsored by:

Quick guide?

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2006, 05:30 PM
13secs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick guide?

Im going to have a look at two classic scoobys tonight, any quick guides etc anyone can give me to test weather or not they are complete dogs ?

Thanks
Old 18 July 2006, 09:55 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 13secs
Im going to have a look at two classic scoobys tonight, any quick guides etc anyone can give me to test weather or not they are complete dogs ?

Thanks
FSH, that's one quick guide.
Old 18 July 2006, 10:08 AM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
FSH, that's one quick guide.
plus look at the person who owns the car
Old 18 July 2006, 10:32 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

I'll start the ball rolling

1) Get as far under the car as possible and check for oil leaks. It'll be difficult seeing where it comes from because of the engine design so I'd just walk away if I was you.
2) Check for slipping clutch by putting in in third and put you foot down at around 3000rpm. If the revs go up but the car doesn't go any faster then the clutch is slipping.
3) Check that the car doesn't hesitate on boost (could be a sign of any number of problems). Have the guy sit in 5th gear at about 70mph and drop it in to 4th and put his foot down in one action. The car should come on boost and pull smoothly - if its hesitant then I'd walk away.
4) Make sure the car is cold when you arrive and start it to check for smoke. Most Imprezas sound a little rough when cold so don't worry about that. But the revs shouldn't be hunting up and down when idling.
5) Let the car idle for a while so it gets hot. The temperature gauge should stay in exactly the same spot (exactly half way up the gauge) - no matter what. The radiator fans should come on intermittently to keep the temperature constant. Open the bonnet and check for steam, water, etc. I've had three classic shape Imprezas now and the temp gauge has never moved above half way no matter what the traffic has been like.
6) Check the air-con if it has it. It's expensive if it needs anything more than a re-gas.