UK Turbo Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2006, 11:52 AM
Marky2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK Turbo Fuel

Hi folks!

Iam just to buy a white uk turbo but have one query! The car has always been run on high rated fuel like shell optimax.

Can anybody tell me would it harm the engine if I ever used normal unleaded fuel would this cause any harm? and can you mix and match unleaded with optimax?

Alot of people say that Uk Turbo impreza dont need to be run on high rated fuel, but iam not sure if this is true?

Thanks.
Old 17 July 2006, 11:55 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No harm running a UK car on premium.. There is no real harm running an import on Premium either the ECU will advance/retard the timing on the import though reducing performance.
Old 17 July 2006, 12:00 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

I have a MY00 UK Turbo.

It does say in the manual and inside the fuel cap that you should use super unleaded only, so thats what I do.

Have tried BP Ultimate - but found Tesco 99 to be the best for performance and milage.

I've never put ordinary unleaded in the car, and I wouldnt put any ordinary unleaded in the car unless I had no alternative, like running out of fuel and the only nearby garage doesnt do any super unleaded.

This is just my personal preference and opinion. As I have never used normal unleaded I dont know what the effects are.
Old 17 July 2006, 12:23 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

if it is a UK spec car it can be run on either, if it is a Jap import you need to run it on super...
Old 17 July 2006, 01:34 PM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

by law it will run forever on NUL. You can run it on SUL and it will shave about 50 to 100 miliseconds over the 0 to 60 time.
Old 17 July 2006, 01:40 PM
New_scooby_04

You can run it on NUL, the ECU will pull back ignition for lower octane fuel, but the car won't run as well so why would you want to???

It's performance car, put the good stuff in!

ns04
Old 17 July 2006, 01:40 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

What the manual says on a UK97 (top three line):

95RON Normal unleaded is ok

Performance difference in not percievable in my opinion, nor is MPG or running quality -actually had more problems with dodgy/stagnent batches of optiomax (long story)

Last edited by Shark Man; 17 July 2006 at 01:43 PM.
Old 17 July 2006, 03:03 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

have always run my UK cars on 95 and never had a problem, even after 160k miles!
Old 17 July 2006, 03:32 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
What the manual says on a UK97 (top three line):
Just re-checked my manual - says the same, 95 or higher.

Shark Man - does your turbo have a sticker on the inside of the fuel cap door?

Confusing, as the manual states 95 or higher, and the fuel cap sticker says Super Unleaded only

I'm with New_scooby_04 though on this - Im gonna stick to the good stuff.
Old 17 July 2006, 04:15 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ryo

Confusing, as the manual states 95 or higher, and the fuel cap sticker says Super Unleaded only

I got very confused with this as I had always been putting 95 in and then read the sticker (never even noticed it before!) and started worrying but because it has a knock sensor it will not harm the engine, perhaps Subaru were covering their *****...

ps I have tried both and geuinely cannopt tell the difference in performance but perhaps it is better for the engine etc
Old 17 July 2006, 04:24 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by chippy17
I got very confused with this as I had always been putting 95 in and then read the sticker (never even noticed it before!) and started worrying but because it has a knock sensor it will not harm the engine, perhaps Subaru were covering their *****...

ps I have tried both and geuinely cannopt tell the difference in performance but perhaps it is better for the engine etc
It may well take more than one batch for the ECU to adapt on an MY99. My understanding is the My99/00 models periodically try to advance ignition, but its not done anywhere near as frequently as the new age Scoobies. You also have to bare in mind that if you've got some of the 95 ROn left in the tank when you fill up with SUL, you won't have a tankfull of 97; you'l have 3/4 of a tank of 97 and a quarter of 95 or whatever!

The label inside the filler cap does say SUL only, but this is to account for lower grade fuel in other EU countries IIRC. UKs willl run ok on 95, but I re-iterate, why buy a performance car and un it on inferior fuel????

Ns04
Old 17 July 2006, 04:48 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

but because it has a knock sensor it will not harm the engine, perhaps Subaru were covering their *****...
This is where I show how much I don't know about Subaru's (only had mine 3 weeks):

Does the UK Turbo have the knock sensor as standard, or is it something you have fitted to the car?

Just wondering if mine has one? Mines totally unmodded as far as I know - even got those orange bits below the indicators.
Old 17 July 2006, 05:01 PM
white
Scooby Regular

FFS! How many more fuel threads are we gonna see!

WHY would you wanna even put NUL in it?? To try and dave a a few quid per fill up?? Please come on....

It's a performance car that needs performance fuel to go with it, end of.
Old 17 July 2006, 05:15 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by white
FFS! How many more fuel threads are we gonna see!

WHY would you wanna even put NUL in it?? To try and dave a a few quid per fill up?? Please come on....

It's a performance car that needs performance fuel to go with it, end of.
We'll maybe anything other than normal unleaded is hard for him to get?

Maybe SUL etc doesn't exist at all in his part of the country?

Maybe he just wants to save (as opposed to dave) a few of his hard earned pounds?

The fact of the matter is that a UK car will operate quite happily on NUL, OK maybe it might not feel as quick, but it will still operate fine.

Shaun
Old 17 July 2006, 06:44 PM
white
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
We'll maybe anything other than normal unleaded is hard for him to get?

Maybe SUL etc doesn't exist at all in his part of the country?
I find that hard to believe in this day and age sorry. Most supermarkets now sell some kind of 97RON fuel.

Maybe he just wants to save (as opposed to dave) a few of his hard earned pounds?
We're not exactly talking about breaking the bank here are we?? You're talking about a few quid on average per fill up between NUL and SUL. The price of a McDonalds! Surely if you can afford to buy and run an Impreza you can afford to put decent quality fuel in it?

The fact of the matter is that a UK car will operate quite happily on NUL, OK maybe it might not feel as quick, but it will still operate fine.
Fair comment but why not just settle for piece of mind and put the better grade of fuel in irrespective of whether it'll run fine on NUL or not?? It's better for the engine.
Old 17 July 2006, 07:27 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I'm sure my owners manual says use super. but minimum 95. That means use 95 if you can't get 98.

After all the JDM cars that have given up from running 98 instead of 100ron I can't see how anyone would even think of putting 95 in it regardless of what the owners manual says if you have a choice. Any performance car should be run on the best you can buy imo.
Old 17 July 2006, 08:25 PM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

I have a MY00 Uk spec.

It clearly states inside the petrol flap to use Super Unleaded yet in the Manual which came with the car it says its fine to run on 95

I only ever run on Optimax though as it runs lumpy on 95
Old 17 July 2006, 08:52 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ryo

Mine doesn't say a Ron number on the flap.

Seeing it says "Gasoline" (american term). If could be read as the American terminology. Bear in mind that "Regular" "Premium" and "Super" Unleaded Gasoline is a branding of fuel, and it can vary in octane number, and thus the actual octane can differ despending on the country it is sold in, even when they have the same branding. There were a few examples of fuel in some countries having differnt octane, even though they are branded as the same fuel. And thus the japs could loose this in translation (the english in the manual is dodgy enough as it is).

Or it could be Subuaru use the same sticker on the flap of all their export cars, regardless of what market it is destined for, and what ECU it has.
Old 17 July 2006, 09:52 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I'll never quite understand why people buy a performance car, and then try and save £1.50 per fill up by using a lower octance fuel??
Old 17 July 2006, 09:56 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

It's not a performance car...it's a daily driver

NSX run on 95RON too
Old 17 July 2006, 10:27 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Well then why not buy a bl*ody diesel?
Old 17 July 2006, 11:16 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Subaru don't make blo*dy diesels
Old 17 July 2006, 11:19 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

....till next year.
Old 17 July 2006, 11:27 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Why not buy a bl*ody time machine then?
Old 18 July 2006, 09:16 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by white
I find that hard to believe in this day and age sorry. Most supermarkets now sell some kind of 97RON fuel.
OK, in the republic of Ireland for example SUL is available virtually nowhere.

In Northern Ireland, OK you've got a few places, but if you're away from any bigish town, then you've no chance of getting SUL.

Shaun
Old 18 July 2006, 09:50 AM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ryo
This is where I show how much I don't know about Subaru's (only had mine 3 weeks):

Does the UK Turbo have the knock sensor as standard, or is it something you have fitted to the car?

Just wondering if mine has one? Mines totally unmodded as far as I know - even got those orange bits below the indicators.
yes the Uk car has a knock sensor as standard so it can run on 95, and yes your car will have one, the guy I bought my car off never ran it on 97/8, ever and it runs beautifully...orange bits are standard!
Old 18 July 2006, 10:00 AM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
It may well take more than one batch for the ECU to adapt on an MY99. My understanding is the My99/00 models periodically try to advance ignition, but its not done anywhere near as frequently as the new age Scoobies. You also have to bare in mind that if you've got some of the 95 ROn left in the tank when you fill up with SUL, you won't have a tankfull of 97; you'l have 3/4 of a tank of 97 and a quarter of 95 or whatever!

The label inside the filler cap does say SUL only, but this is to account for lower grade fuel in other EU countries IIRC. UKs willl run ok on 95, but I re-iterate, why buy a performance car and un it on inferior fuel????

Ns04
fair comments, I have run two or three tanks on the trot in the past and can honestly say I have not felt much of a difference but I will give it another go...
Old 18 July 2006, 10:03 AM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
I'll never quite understand why people buy a performance car, and then try and save £1.50 per fill up by using a lower octance fuel??
because mine is a genuine daily runner, I do 40miles a day on country b roads so to me fuel is an issue and if it is not harming the car (which it isn't) I pay 95 as opposed to 102 at my local Shell (the only place I can get super round here), I would rather save the money and buy my daughter an ice lolly!
Old 18 July 2006, 10:13 AM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
if you can prove to me that 95 harms the engine and that there is a real discernable difference in performance than I will happily switch...
Old 19 July 2006, 01:14 PM
New_scooby_04

if you can prove to me that 95 harms the engine and that there is a real discernable difference in performance than I will happily switch...
To reiterate, a MY99/00 UK scooby Turbo will be ok on NUL, they have active knock control and will retard ignition to adapt to lower quality fuel!

NUL IS inferior to a quality SUL, though, and we're not just talking about performance here, also in tems of DET resistance and keeping your engine gunk free (that's one of the major perks of Optimax).

People who expect to fill up once and notice an immediate and substantial performance gains may be dissapointed, especially on the older models which need time to adapt (or may need an ECU reset) The improvement will be incremental and you may not even notice it as it occurs over time, but the car WILL run better.

If you don't believe how much of a difference fuel makes, ask a mapper for an estimate of how much they can extract out of a car mapped for NUL compared to SUL.

If you buy a performance car, you should run it on quality consumables -they dont even cost that much more!

Ns04

Quick Reply: UK Turbo Fuel