Sponsored by:

Undersealed(not)?

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2000, 09:00 PM
Rico
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Just been crawling under the car with a torch..had my 1st year body service ( supposedly) done today.In terms of the black gunge they spray on this has been applied to the wheel arches in a fairly haphazard manner ( ie maybe 75% coverage tops) and the underneath of the car is 95+% UNTOUCHED!!
Surely this is a botch job ?? I'll be invoiced for 75 quid in a day or two so any advice would be very much appreciated...has anyone had a proper job done for comparison ??

Rico
Old 25 October 2000, 09:30 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Rico,
Read my reply back to Martin Sterlings post which is within last 2 days on undersealing.
Old 25 October 2000, 09:40 PM
Rico
Scooby Regular

Mellow Yellow...thanks for reply

read your post...mine certainly wasn't prepared in the same way as yours..they had the car for 7 hrs tops and included 15k service. No overspray probs given they have left underneath virually untouched !!
Can you confirm to me that this spray should cover a large proportion of the underside or is it just very selective spots ( same as arches)Underneath seems to have been done only along two 'strips' for want of better description.

Any further advice?

cheers

rico
Old 25 October 2000, 09:58 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Rico,
The underneath of the car should in theory be completely covered, bearing in mind that all UK cars are swampped in underseal due to the extreme conditions in this country, salt especially...when I bought my scoob the supplying dealer himself had only liberally applied what seemed like 2 lines of very thin undersealer down each side of the car...my suggestion is to speak with a couple of car importers near you and ask who'd they'd reccomend and go from there...the end result should be almost like a thick rubbery tar like finish which due to it's thickness repels stones, water and most other hazards ensuring excellent protection of the cars metal !
Old 25 October 2000, 10:02 PM
Rico
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Mellow Yellow....I'm going to take it up with my dealer...Best way is to be there in person when it's done..which I'll do.

Rico
Old 25 October 2000, 11:11 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Mellows description is absolutely right.

Years ago I used to provide a freelance undersealing service to main dealers. The car should be on a wheelfree ramp (wheels removed) and all exposed underbody coated.

Seems like they left the wheels on and just shoved the gun under the sills.

At that time no one worried about a little light mositure and it took about two hours to cure. If you drove before then it just added a dusting of road grit to the treated areas!

P.S this is a different process to a Waxoyl treatment which is also sprayed into internal cavities to prevent corrosion.

B
Old 26 October 2000, 09:27 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Rico,

Is your car a UK model?

If so it will have come fully undersealed to begin with and the purpose of the bodywork service is to check for any damage and re-apply/repair where necessary.

It may be that the dealer has botched the job, but then again it may not have been necessary to coat the whole underside again.

D
Old 26 October 2000, 07:11 PM
Rico
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for replying everyone. Diablo my car is a UK one. The existing underseal does look undamaged at first glance so maybe you're right.I'm just very untrusting of car dealerships in general......

rico
Old 27 October 2000, 09:08 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Rico, where u from in Scotland?

If you're not to far from Glasgow perhaps we could meet up for a beer or two

Cheers

D