Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY01 PPP with S/S downpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2001, 12:22 AM
haynesaj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this question may have come up before, but what the hell.

Has anyone fitted a S/S downpipe to an MY01 that also has the PPP? Does it provide any power or torque increases over the PPP? Are there any downsides or issues with running both? Hopefully, Pete Croney will see this.

Cheers
Old 07 November 2001, 08:31 AM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Wink

You're right, this has come up before!

Why not Email Pete directly?

The short answer was that Pete felt you were getting very close (or even just over) the limits of the ignition retard of the PPP ECU with the downpipe fitted. However, the solution appeared to be fitting an uppipe as well which moved it back to a safer level.

Just to add my own opinion - this solution means that you would now be running without any cats at all, and hence would fail an emissions test (MOT in three years time, but roadside if you are very unlucky with points and a fine). Perhaps just putting in the uppipe will give you the extra performance that you desire.

Duncan
Old 07 November 2001, 08:31 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...ThreadID=49118 explains
Old 07 November 2001, 12:33 PM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

Question

Duncan

"this solution means that you would now be running without any cats at all, and hence would fail an emissions test"

I would tend to think the same as no cats but it seems to contradict the info on the scoobysport WRX page, perhaps Pete could clarify this point aswell.

Cheers,

Boultsy.
Old 07 November 2001, 12:51 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Boultsy

I think I must have failed to explain myself fully. The standard UK MY01 has three cat, one in the uppipe between the exhaust manifold and the turbo (which wasn't there on the classic shape Impreza), one in the downpipe, and one in the centre section.

The PPP removes the one in the centre section, gaining efficiency but increasing emissions also. This is one reason why it has to be fitted after the car is registered.

From the Scoobysport website;
Previously replacing the full exhaust, from the turbo back, created two problems... The car may exceed emission limits and the noise levels, although quieter than most of our rivals, would climb beyond what some drivers wanted.
Note the term "from the turbo back". Adding the S/S downpipe to a PPP'd car would remove the second of the cats, but still leaves the one in the uppipe.

The issue of whether the cat in the uppipe is sufficient to meet emission regs both when it is new and when it ages was not resolved in the other thread.

Duncan

PS. Pete - have you resolved the check engine light problems by altering the readings from the O2 sensors yet?

[Edited by BugEyed - 11/7/2001 12:58:39 PM]
Old 07 November 2001, 01:24 PM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ahh,

thanks Duncan after your explanation I see the relevance of "from the turbo back" now. Didn't really understand how the uppipe fitted into the exhaust equation before, but things are getting clearer now, i think!! Some research to be done me thinks.

Ta very much,

Boultsy.

Old 07 November 2001, 01:53 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

You would indeed be de-catted if you want this set up with an 01 PPP.

The first 100 O2 fix boards have been made and are being "potted" for extra durability. Its a small processor with some clever software and fitting will not require wire cutting or soldering.
Old 07 November 2001, 03:28 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Pete

Do i remember you saying a while ago that a ppp'd MY01 can have just the up pipe fitted and that it also boosts performance by quite a bit?

Cheers

Nathan...
Old 07 November 2001, 05:09 PM
haynesaj
Scooby Regular

I would certainly be interested in "just" the up-pipe as Nathan is suggesting....if it boosts performance. I don't particularly want to be full de-catted through.
Old 07 November 2001, 05:12 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Nathan I haven't tried this but suspect it would have some benefit.
Old 07 November 2001, 06:24 PM
haynesaj
Scooby Regular

Pete, how is the up-pipe used within the system? (excuse the ignorance).

Cheers

Andrew
Old 07 November 2001, 06:25 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Our American cousins on i-club and Club STi recommend the uppipe change as the the most benefical removal of a catalyst, and tend to leave the other two in place but add a "cat back" exhaust (eg S/S backbox or equivalent). Obviously, removing more than one gives a greater benefit. However, the law in some states is very tough on emissions and checks them on a regular basis.

The downside (isn't there always one) appear to be the time involved in the change and the incidence of check engine lights. Fitting time for the uppipe is reported as being 3 - 4 hours for a professional job or c. 10 hours for a DIY job. The check engine lights can be resolved by something like Pete's O2 fix boards, or adding in some fairly unsubtle resistors in series.

Hope that helps.

Duncan
Old 07 November 2001, 06:45 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Wink

Andrew

From one of my earlier posts;
The standard UK MY01 has three cat, one in the uppipe between the exhaust manifold and the turbo (which wasn't there on the classic shape Impreza), one in the downpipe, and one in the centre section.

The PPP removes the one in the centre section, gaining efficiency but increasing emissions also.
What else do you need to know? Pete will no doubt help you with an idea of the costs and the lead time for the new 02 fix board.

Duncan