Sponsored by:

Newbie - Buying advice on Sti V5

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2006, 12:13 PM
ek9/sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie - Buying advice on Sti V5

Goin to look at a 99 Sti Version 5 next week . Really not sure what to look out for except the usual stuff? THe car seems very low mileage but the engine and intercooler looks like it has done more than it claimed.

Also how can I tell if the enigne is an Sti engine and not a WrX enigne?? The manifold looks so new that it has been resprayed. Other than that the car seems in very good condition, jus a question on its mileage and engine?? I am little worried that the engine has been exchanged

Already had a brief look at the car and put a small deposit down. Please see the link and give some advice please.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/78299.htm

THanks in advance.
Old 08 July 2006, 12:27 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its looks like a clean low mileage car from the photos, how does it look in the flesh?

The steering wheel and gearstick also look like they've not seen too many miles but 20k miles? Not sure. Any old mots or paperwork to back it up?

As for the manifold, mine was respayed before I bought the car. They all flake so it's not uncommon.
Old 08 July 2006, 01:40 PM
ek9/sti
Scooby Regular

But if the enigne has only done that little mileage its unusal that they will need to take the manifold out to get respray. Also the intercooler seems to done a lot more than 20k miles. The car itself looks really good, interior and exterior both looked to have done like 20k. Just the enigne?

Thats why I wanted to know if the enigne is a real Sti enigne or not, how can you tell?
Old 08 July 2006, 07:42 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

If you are doubting it that much, walk away if your questions are not answered to your satisfaction.

Steve

PS Just looked - HKS induction on a MY99 MAF sensor. I'd be worried!
Old 08 July 2006, 09:28 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

£8495 seems dirt cheap for an STi as well especially as it's low miles ...

I owned a V reg STi version 5, awesome car, I really loved it. V V fast so if you drive it & it seems "slow" chances are it's not an STi engine. Seems strange to have the manifold painted, mine was a bit flaky mind however not serious enough to paint over it!

TX.