Timing belt issues

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2006, 02:15 PM
dn12345
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt issues

Hi all,

Just bought WRX Type RA STi MY96 and took it to dealers for a service to make sure all was well and good. On my way there. a rattle/knicking sound developed at low revs so i mentioned it to them. Upon removing the cam cover, the entire assembly around the belt fell apart and it looked as though the belt had been incorrectly fitted and had been rubbing.

The garage are currently ordering the parts to replace but my concern is that some damage may have been done to the engine. Don't know alot about these things so would appreciate it if anyone could offer any info as to what kinf of damage could have been caused and how I might find out if it has.

FYI the car was generally running fine, even with the rattle, but had some issues unde acceleration. Could this have been caused by the timing being out?

Thanks alot

Dave
Old 05 July 2006, 02:24 PM
GariYaRally
Scooby Regular

Personally, would do a compression check with the new belt. Have known a number of incorrectly cam belt fitting resulting in valve-valve damage, it'd give you peace of mind too.
Hope it works out well for you.
Old 05 July 2006, 02:45 PM
dn12345
Scooby Regular

Thanks, but please excuse my ignorance... What is a compression check and how do I do it? Or do I throw money at the problem and ask the dealer to do it?

Cheers
Old 05 July 2006, 03:27 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

My understanding is that if the timing belt goes then that's it - your can't drive the car. You'd certainly know about it - and it wouldn't be just a rattle.
Old 05 July 2006, 05:03 PM
RedScoob
Scooby Regular

Whilst the belt may have been rubbing (which would shorten it's life if it has worn the outside of the belt), it's still virtually impossible that could affect the timing. A new (or correctly fitted) cover should sort you out, and while you (or the mechanic) are doing it, you can quickly check that the timing is still spot on.
Old 05 July 2006, 05:07 PM
dn12345
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys

Is it possible that timing issues could cause the sudden loss of power under hard acceleration? The mechanic showed me the belt and it was well and truly knackered and had sliced through the plastic cover leaving sh*t and corruption all over the bay. Nice.

Starting to suspect that the importers 'mechanic' who changed the belt 2 months ago might not have known anything about imprezas. Or cars for that matter.