ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

MY00 vs MY01 review...

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2000, 09:43 PM
Andy-D
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

In this weeks Auto Express there is a good comparison of the MY00 Impreza Turbo with the MY01 Impreza WRX (As you know the model name has changed from Turbo to WRX). It is the front cover story Thought I'd post some snippets to maybe/maybe not wet your appetite for the new car...

There 1st Opinion which basically gives the summary is as follows:

'THOSE controversial new headlamps and name are not the only risks Subaru has taken with the Impreza WRX. The car is just as fast as the Turbo it replaces, and is easier to drive, with lighter controls, less weighty steering and smoother power delivery. But drivers have to do without the the raw thrills which made the old car special. The WRX will be more appealing to buyers wanting refined, fast everyday transport, but enthusiasts will prefer the old model'.

Other quotes from the article include:

'Silver-effect trim on facia and pedals lighten the atmosphere of the WRX's interior'

'The Turbo's driving position is near-perfect, but the design looks and feels cheap'

'The WRX is more user friendly than its predecessor but not so much fun to drive'

'Despite being 150kg heavier than the turbo, the Impreza WRX has the faster acceleration. Subaru says it hits 60mph from standstill in less than six seconds'

From this article it sounds like the new car is at least as quick and at least as capabale as the MY00 but more refined and a little less fun to drive. The photos of the WRX on the outside still don't appeal to me, maybe I'll grow to like it. The interior looks alot better.

Andy.
Old 25 October 2000, 10:54 PM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

>>The new car's superior acceleration is probably due to its strange gearing. First and second are low to give maximum thrust, while the top three ratios are chosen for relaxed cruising.<<

Another snippet from the article..
When i read the article i guess the my01 is well equiped for 18" alloy.
Old 26 October 2000, 09:35 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Hmmm...

All other tests to date show that acceleration is inferior to the old car, not superior

D
Old 26 October 2000, 09:38 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Question

Subaru's claimed 0-60 on the MY00 was always conservative. At least it alowed them to make this claim in good (yeah right) faith.
Chuck