Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda NSX and Honda S2000

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2000, 09:35 PM
JayRaj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone driven either or both of these cars?

If so, please share your views as I'm thinking of getting one for the other half and I haven't got any idea what they are like.

Cheers

Jay

p.s. and no she has no choice as I'm paying!
Old 23 October 2000, 10:31 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello...

I test drove the NSX and it's a brilliant car. I was looking to replace my Subaru.

It's got an engine you can rev up to 8500 (if not higher) and it sticks to the road. It's a rear wheel drive car and I imagine it's interesting in the wet -- especially after a Subaru.

In the end I bought a Toyota Supra as it had back seats (of sorts!) and it's alot cheaper than an NSX ($37K for new Supra, £55K for NSX).

Steve.
Old 24 October 2000, 12:32 AM
dela
Scooby Regular

My two penneth.

Say you are looking to spend 20-25K, thats a new S2000 or an older NSX. In my opinion the NSX has done its depreciating, and the S2000 is only just starting.

I think its "Classic & Sportscar" mag this month which has an NSX buying guide, so check it out.

Dave
Old 24 October 2000, 01:15 AM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Talking

I rented an NSX for a day while a trip to L.A.
Great car, very powerful, and you sit low just like you should in a race car, but most of all the noise, what a wonderful sound this engine makes, I kept on reving it just for the sound.
but be careful it is a mid-engine car, and 5 min after I took it out of the agency I spun it and almost wercked the car!
Old 24 October 2000, 02:16 AM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Got a friend with an S2000 whose dad has a pair of NSX's (one auto one manual) my mates next car is an NSX, so if its straight choice between the two I'd go with him and get the NSX. Both fantastic cars though.
Old 24 October 2000, 03:21 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Smile

I had a trip as a passenger in an NSX and it was totally awesome. Driving it must be fantastic. Forget the S2000, the NSX is in a different league...

Jerome.
Old 24 October 2000, 09:43 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

The NSX is a fantastic car. Jerome is right in that it is in a different league to te S2000. The noise and handling are great.

It is expensive to fix - aluminium body panels cost a lot - but then as it costs over £60,000 new you'd expect that.

The S2000 is a very good roadster - the NSX is a supercar. Well - it definitely was when it came out in 1989 - it is still pretty amazing now.

I haven't driven the S2000 but I have been a passnger in it. I have driven the NSX and I loved it.

Best thing I can suggest is to test drive both the NSX and the S2000. You'll ove both, but you may go for the S2000 for practicality (cost). The NSX is very easy to drive but the cost of ownership can be high.
Old 24 October 2000, 12:01 PM
NATH
Scooby Newbie

Jay,

Try taking a S2000 for a spin...........YOU'LL BE IMPRESSED!!!!! For a RWD there are very impressive to say the least!!!! Not the same as a Scoob.But very Quick. Not too sure about NSX though as It's been a while since they've really promoted the car at the price they are now.(How many people know they still sell them???)

Nath

PS: Forgot to mention the Integra type "R" is even better and quicker!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by NATH (edited 24 October 2000).]
Old 24 October 2000, 02:42 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'd rather have an old NSX than a new S2000 - but then I can live without the lack op the open top on the S2000. Some NSXs have a targa top so you can get a semi-convertible effect.

280+BHP, mid engine, RWD, revs like you won't believe. Aayrton Senna helped in the development of the NSX.

mmmm....
Old 24 October 2000, 06:45 PM
JayRaj
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your comments. I think that the NSX is still a superb car especially with the 3.2 engine. 0-60 in 4.8 secs....that's Type R territory

Servicing can't be a great deal, especially because of the badge slapped on the front of the car.

Why has the S2000 been so disappointing? Every single mag says that there is a lack of feedback due to the electrically motorised steering. Is this true?

Cheers

Jay
Old 24 October 2000, 07:15 PM
NATH
Scooby Newbie

Jay, with regards to your last statement reference servicing costs and the "Honda Badge".......Are'nt they non aspirated 2WD cars????

Nath
Old 25 October 2000, 07:57 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Jay

I wouldn't assume that the servicing on the NSX will be minimal. The NSX is Honda's flagship car (and has been for over 10 years) - hence they charge lods of money to buy it. They might charge a lot just due to that. There are independent servicing garages of course - but I don't know about the cost of parts for the NSX. I know the aluminium bodywork costs a lot to fix. If I were you, I'd definitely check up on this.
Old 25 October 2000, 06:32 PM
JayRaj
Scooby Regular

Nath and AWD

All that I'm saying is that Honda's servicing charges will not be as high as say Porsche etc.

The body panels may be expensive, but some of the parts are shared with other cars in the range. I believe the discs on the Integra Type R are very similiar if not the same as the NSX. Most of the switchgear and some engine parts also come from the American derived/built Accura Accord.

Cheers

Jay
Old 25 October 2000, 06:35 PM
Ro
Scooby Regular

Jay, forget both these cars and get her a Type R aswell !
Old 25 October 2000, 08:18 PM
NATH
Scooby Newbie

Hi Jay,

Got your message........ been at work so I could'nt reply. Hondas servicing is'nt that bad and as you state cheaper than Porsche by miles (or pounds )

I spoke to one of the guys today regarding what similarities there are to the NSX and the Type R's.........and according too him there is'nt a lot in commom apart from the Badge.

Have you thought about an Integra R???? Well worth a look in......Production has stopped on these at the moment as there will be a 260bhp model out for MY2001.

Nath