Sponsored by:

STI Owners - rear shockers

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2006, 07:56 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI Owners - rear shockers

My MY03 Sti has recently developed a knock on the n/s/r when driving over slight bumps in the road. The car has a full monty Subaru warranty and i have read posts in the past saying there is a known problem with the rear suspension which can be rectified under warranty.
In a nutshell can anybody tell me exactly what the problem is so when i phone my local dealer i know exactly what the problem is and what i'm talking about, just incase they play silly buggers.
Thanks
Nik.
Old 23 June 2006, 08:11 PM
scoobimax
Scooby Regular

I had my rear shockers changed on my 04 STi under warranty - t's a well known issue and no frnachised dealership should try and blag their way out of it.

Not exactly sure what the problem is, but I understand its a design fault where something wears. The real problem is that as the're a patent part there is no one ab;e to make an OE equivalent replacment so the new ones fitted will wear out just the same but fall outside of the standard unextended warranty period!
Old 23 June 2006, 08:55 PM
EV2
Scooby Newbie

I had the N/S/R shock on my MY03 STI changed today under warranty, It was knocking quite bad and more noticable at slow speeds or reversing. Not sure what the cause is either.

EV
Old 23 June 2006, 09:00 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I am surpised they only replaced one. I would have thought they would do both. Now you have one brand new unit and one worn, would this not effect the cars handling.
Nik.

Originally Posted by EV2
I had the N/S/R shock on my MY03 STI changed today under warranty, It was knocking quite bad and more noticable at slow speeds or reversing. Not sure what the cause is either.

EV
Old 23 June 2006, 10:07 PM
graeme.
Scooby Regular

My STi (03) makes a terrible noise on bumpy "b" roads and when going over rumble strips, etc.

It can only be described as a loud clunk, as if the shocks are not reacting quickly enough to the bumps.

It's in to the dealer in July, hopefully that will get it sorted, whatever it is.

Anyone else suffering ?????
Old 23 June 2006, 10:13 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Some owners have had there's replaced two or three times. Mine developed a minor knock but was more noticeable when coming to a stop. It literally felt like the tyres had settled on a very small hole in the road. Turns out it was the rear shocks sticking and not "rebounding" back into position.

Could have had mine replaced under warranty but ended up going with the AST suspension which cured it and improved the handling no end anyway.
Old 23 June 2006, 10:47 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

i've got an 04 jdm sti Not long after buying it (13 months old) i changed the wheels and had powerstation change the springs/drop-links/geometry etc. At the same time (pure co-incedence) my rear n/s strut started to knock - coming across like a clunk every now every now and then - which has got worse. I've had the 'top-mount mod' done which helped at first but now its there all the time.

Apparently its down to a fault with the strut design. i've even heard subaru decided it was more cost effective to keep replacing struts under warrenty rather than redesign.

Unfortunately my car was imported through david hendry cars and therefore does't have the same cover as uk dealer warrentys. Although i've been told the handling is completly un-affected the noise does my head in. I've also been told i can't get the replaced under warrenty.

If i keep hold of the car i will go for a complete suspension change like the powerstation t20 set-up etc to been done with it once and for all... like RLE
Old 23 June 2006, 10:50 PM
zoney-WRX
Scooby Regular

i had the same problem with the r/o/s shocker on MY55 sti at 6 months old took it back and got both rears changed at the same time
Old 23 June 2006, 10:54 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobimax
I had my rear shockers changed on my 04 STi under warranty - t's a well known issue and no frnachised dealership should try and blag their way out of it.

Not exactly sure what the problem is, but I understand its a design fault where something wears. The real problem is that as the're a patent part there is no one ab;e to make an OE equivalent replacment so the new ones fitted will wear out just the same but fall outside of the standard unextended warranty period!

the new parts should have a 3 year warranty at starting from when there replaced
Old 23 June 2006, 11:10 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

My03 sti with the same problem on both struts, both replaced by Prosport under warranty, no quibbles. Common problem with 03 sti's. No way the dealer can wiggle out of it.
Old 23 June 2006, 11:21 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wakeboardar
the new parts should have a 3 year warranty at starting from when there replaced
only if its a uk spec impreza supplied by subaru uk
Old 24 June 2006, 12:23 AM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a complete set of STI shocks from an 03 Blobeye in perfect working order with 13,000 miles on them only. This is because I've just had the Powerstation AST/ handling pack fitted. If anyone's after some shocks, PM me.
Old 24 June 2006, 05:49 AM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

Are there other STI owners who haven't required these replacing? Mine haven't been done AFAIK, and it's coming towards the end of its warranty. They seem fine now, but it would be typical for them to start knocking a couple of weeks after it runs out...
Old 24 June 2006, 09:08 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Hello fellow Ingleby owner. I am assuming mine are the original Subaru items and although the knocking is minor i am taking it to Jennings regardless. I believe they should be able to check if the car is fitted with modded replacements. If not i'm going to try and get them replaced as sods law they will fail when out ouf warranty.
Nik.

Originally Posted by lordretsudo
Are there other STI owners who haven't required these replacing? Mine haven't been done AFAIK, and it's coming towards the end of its warranty. They seem fine now, but it would be typical for them to start knocking a couple of weeks after it runs out...
Old 24 June 2006, 09:52 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RLE
Some owners have had there's replaced two or three times. Mine developed a minor knock but was more noticeable when coming to a stop. It literally felt like the tyres had settled on a very small hole in the road. Turns out it was the rear shocks sticking and not "rebounding" back into position.

Could have had mine replaced under warranty but ended up going with the AST suspension which cured it and improved the handling no end anyway.

thats exactly what went wrong with my 05 WRX. The dampers failed.

By rights, you should be replacing both at the same time, ie, N/S and O/S. I would push for this at a dealer, even more so if the car is a few years old, as the chances are, the next will follow in failure and you can bet your life on it, it will be the day after the warranty runs out.

Also, not sure ifits been mentioned, but there are modified versions that the dealer should now be fitting, they didnt with mine, and they lasted all of 6 months before failiure again.

Hope you get sorted

John
Old 24 June 2006, 10:00 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
Hello fellow Ingleby owner. I am assuming mine are the original Subaru items and although the knocking is minor i am taking it to Jennings regardless. I believe they should be able to check if the car is fitted with modded replacements. If not i'm going to try and get them replaced as sods law they will fail when out ouf warranty.
Nik.

Nik

Jenningswill know about it mate, there is one of there guys on www.subaru-impreza.org

this problem has been aired on there numorous times so i doubt they will deniy all knowlage of it

john
Old 24 June 2006, 11:50 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
My MY03 Sti has recently developed a knock on the n/s/r when driving over slight bumps in the road. The car has a full monty Subaru warranty and i have read posts in the past saying there is a known problem with the rear suspension which can be rectified under warranty.
In a nutshell can anybody tell me exactly what the problem is so when i phone my local dealer i know exactly what the problem is and what i'm talking about, just incase they play silly buggers.
Thanks
Nik.
It now happens on the front too. (05 STI)

In March S.G. Petch of Richmond changed my full front suspension after i was getting knocking to the NS Front.
Just waiting for the rear to start knocking next.

Last edited by stilover; 24 June 2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old 25 June 2006, 12:31 AM
ghplumb
Scooby Regular

Lift under the wheel arch
car will go up but not back down until you move it.Just in case it does nt do it when at the garage
Ours was done on warranty 6 weeks ago
04 STi