Sponsored by:

JDM Registration 10 years to the Month After 1st Use

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2006, 09:56 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM Registration 10 years to the Month After 1st Use

I find myself in an unusual position here; I usually answer questions about importing and registering JDM cars..... Ive seen a few posts over the last year where people have said something along the lines of: "...its 10 years old this month and Im registering it..."; now Im in a similar position and I have a question. The certificate of de-registration only ever lists the month of first use in Japan, not the day. So, if the month and year of first use were August 1996; can I register the car during this coming August or must I wait until the 1st of September?

Simon
Old 23 June 2006, 08:31 AM
RobBooth
Scooby Regular

I know when I've registered them in the past I've put the date of first registration as the first day of the month it was originally registered in Japan.

Maybe worth checking with them : 0870 240 0010

Cheers,

Rob.
Old 23 June 2006, 09:17 AM
oscarprezza
Scooby Regular

Simon ,in my own experience i have had to wait till the folowing month for the ten year rule , ie first regd in japan in the Aug so have had to wait till the Sept to get it reg'd i was told this by local Dvla this as the vehicles first reg abroad could of been at the end of Aug, so in essence it could 't be reg'd until clear of the ten years,( u can put the application in early but they wil not realease your docs , tax disc until the last few days) but prob depends on your dvla, as i know of some wonderful and wierd stuff going on with reging and the rules being bent to get stuff on the road that dont have model reports etc but lets not get into that.
Old 24 June 2006, 11:37 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Rob, Oscar; thanks. There seems to be a difference of opinion/experience: I wonder if its due to the different ways that you have dealt with the problem? Im sure that if I raise the issue and explain the facts that I will be told to wait until September the 1st; but if I simply write down 01 08 1996 as the date of first use, then the car will be registered without a hitch.....

The 'wonderful and weird stuff' sounds interesting btw.....

Simon
Old 24 June 2006, 12:43 PM
oscarprezza
Scooby Regular

, i always try to do things above board, not casting any disrespect to yourself but i have known of several 2 door type r 's ending up on 1996 n regs this year, they were brought to the uk by a certain set of individuals in your neck of the woods i am trying to be politially correct her so no one take this the wrong way and no moderation diercted at me thank u, anyway back to the crux of the matter , i have always reg'd my cars correctly as one of my close friends owns his own import company, and he has told me of his own and others experience with getting things wrong with reging and esva's etc, this became a reality to me recently when i sold one ofmy wrx's to a friend , the car had my own cherished reg on it and the dvla would not grant a transfere until they had inspected the car that it was being removed off, my friend was itching to get the car and it getting a bit tense, anyway i had to take the wrx up to my local dvla office , upon which it was inspected by a certain female who knew absolutly diddly about cars let alone an imported vehicle , she was looking under the wheel arch for a chassis no etc and when i tried to direct her to the bulk head she told me she knew what she was doing (DURGH), any way, i told her it was on the bulk head, but advised her that she wouldnt be able to see it as the alarm siren was afixed there and that if she wanted to see it she would have to remove the siren etc , i was just tring to test her knowledge and skills, i was starting to get quite annoyed by now, she had copies of the dereg docs, sva cert etc etc, but she had still not seen the chassis no on the bulk head, she then stated looking thru the car looking for date stamps on things like the ash tray , windows etc, what a wast of time as we all know that any expirienced underhand sort would have swapped these any way, any way she was obviously now getting frustrated with the situation and buggered off back to the office for a while , returning with her superior , another woman, who then blurted at me that they were both highly trained vehicle inspectors , approved by the dvla and police and dept of transport, whhooo hoo,in big yellow coats and that they could not grant me the removal until they had checked the model code , production dates, release series, against the docs they held and they would ring me later in the day with there findings, i was told i was free to go, not impressed , to close this off i was granted removal later in the days and the wrx was reasinged it original reg etc , and when to my friend eventually, so its all down to the dvla and there ability to be wrong etc that some vhecles are not correctly designated, sorry for being long winded !
Old 24 June 2006, 02:45 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Id assumed you PM that! I wonder how common dereg cert fraud is? 'N' registrations to avoid SVA as well; theyre not as clever as they think.....going back to a 'P' would at least be possible (from a production point-of-view), but they were too impatient.

Simon

Bradford I assume?
Old 24 June 2006, 03:19 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oscarprezza
,...sorry for being long winded !
Was all that seriously only one sentence???

Trending Topics

Old 24 June 2006, 03:45 PM
oscarprezza
Scooby Regular

its a long time since i was at school and why stop and start like tony blair when u can go on and on !

Last edited by oscarprezza; 24 June 2006 at 03:51 PM.