Sponsored by:

Rip off?

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2006, 08:26 AM
robsw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rip off?

I got a quote from a highly regarded supplier yesterday, for two cambelt idler pulleys for an MY93 impreza. Price £95 each before vat which adds up to £223.25 for the pair. Seemed a bit steep so I started to look elsewhere, someone suggested another supplier who quoted £21.50 each including vat, total cost £43 for the pair. Bit of a difference.

I queried this with the supplier who quoted me first, and had the following response (via email).......

That's the difference between cheap Chinese made parts and Genuine parts. No mistake we sell quality parts that last if you want cheap and cheerful then we are not going to be able to help you Good Luck

Apart from the poor grammar, I thought the response was quite abrupt. Just for the sake of it I am going to phone subaru later and get a quote from them. I will be surprised if they quote me more than £223.25 all in! I may be wrong? What does everybody else think?
Old 22 June 2006, 08:36 AM
misty
Scooby Regular

Abrupt? You asked a question and got an answer! What's the problem? It does sound as though you will be buying inferior parts, but that's your perrogative.
dave
Old 22 June 2006, 09:40 AM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

How does he absolutly know that they're chinese? also his 'genuine parts' are they subaru origonals or is he saying they're better than that (in other words 'not genuine')

Athough i do admit if someone comes back to me and says they can get something for half the price and can i do anything on price i say 'no and good luck'

Simon
Old 22 June 2006, 04:38 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The last time I went to Roger Clark Motorsport, Olly's computer had hundreds of e-mails on it !!!!

If I had that number of e-mails to answer I think most of them would be somewhat shorter than the reply you received LOL

Midlife.....
Old 22 June 2006, 04:40 PM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

try camskill
Old 22 June 2006, 05:32 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Ask the other supplier if they are genuine or not. dl
Old 22 June 2006, 05:52 PM
robsw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bat-Fink
try camskill
Camskill are who I got the 2nd, cheaper prices from.

Trending Topics

Old 22 June 2006, 06:05 PM
rossi_classicwrx
Scooby Regular

i used cam skill on my last engine and have put new ones from them in again. I have had no problems whatsoever and would recommend using them.
Old 22 June 2006, 09:57 PM
robsw
Scooby Regular

That's just what I wanted to hear, excellent.

Looks like the first company I had the expensive quote from are just trying to rip people off, using scare tactics aswell. It is rather worrying as the rip off company are very highly recommended on SN. I had two other quotes from them that were clearly trying to rip me off.

I got quoted £66 before vat for rear drop links, and £190 before vat for a decat downpipe. I checked the company's website and found the drop links on there for £52.88 including vat, and the downpipe for £176.25 including vat. When I questioned the chap about the difference in prices for the drop links he blamed a colleague for putting in the wrong price, and when I questioned the downpipe prices I had no response. So beware of garages who sponser this site, as they seem to get loads of good advertising, that basically can put them in a strong position that could be (and is) abused.

I would love to name them, but I beleive that would not be in the best interests of this forum.
Old 22 June 2006, 10:31 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

i had a very similar experience in my first scoob. it was a sport and was leaking oil from somewhere. ended up being a seal off one of the pulleys. i took it to a reputable garage with whome i have a good relationship with and thay said "yer mate no probs, new one will be 20 quid i reckon". he was then himself astounded to here 110inc vat for a new toothed pulley. i paid it as i needed the work doing anyway and the sensor was buggered too.

the guy at the gartage wasnt impressed as he probably thought i was thinking i was getting ripped off but i needed the car back on the road.

two days after getting my scoob back i found the same part on camskill for round 28-30quid mark. wasnt very impressed but as people have said the quality may have been different. i wrote off the scoob a couple weeks after anyway so i doesnt matter anymore lol!!!

i learnt to search around though and as long as i can get my own parts from a reputable source such as camskill i could save a bundle!!!

***il make the point it wasnt the garage over pricing me on the pulley it was their supplier... "subaru parts... subaru prices" was the usual line***
Old 22 June 2006, 11:21 PM
robsw
Scooby Regular

I've been thinking about those of you who use garages, as doing my own work I have control over what parts I buy for my car. I'm sure some garages do use genuine parts, but I'm also sure that the majority of garages will use the cheapest suppliers they can find, to maximise their own profits and provide a more competitive price in the first place.
Old 22 June 2006, 11:33 PM
rob4620
Scooby Regular

my car is currently in weston performace having some major work done to make it inot a hillclimb weapon, i asked for the aircon to be removed and greg pointed out that it sounded a bit knocky on start up and was i confident the sellers claims of 2 cam belt changes in 3 years were accurate and i honestlty couldn't, he was not the first person to mention the startup knock. so with the aircon removal i have had a cam belt change for £240 all in with genuine parts. well worth it, rebuild would be a bit more me thinks. not that relevant i know but if you have good feedback about the place then go for it!
Old 22 June 2006, 11:48 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robsw
I got a quote from a highly regarded supplier yesterday, for two cambelt idler pulleys for an MY93 impreza. Price £95 each before vat which adds up to £223.25 for the pair. Seemed a bit steep so I started to look elsewhere, someone suggested another supplier who quoted £21.50 each including vat, total cost £43 for the pair. Bit of a difference.

I queried this with the supplier who quoted me first, and had the following response (via email).......

That's the difference between cheap Chinese made parts and Genuine parts. No mistake we sell quality parts that last if you want cheap and cheerful then we are not going to be able to help you Good Luck

Apart from the poor grammar, I thought the response was quite abrupt. Just for the sake of it I am going to phone subaru later and get a quote from them. I will be surprised if they quote me more than £223.25 all in! I may be wrong? What does everybody else think?
Who do you class as a very highly regarded supplier?
Old 23 June 2006, 01:20 AM
robsw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SamUK
Who do you class as a very highly regarded supplier?
Basically, when someone starts a thread along the lines of 'my car is broke, who is best to repair it?', several users post advice to use a certain garage in particular. Therefore that particular garage appears to be highly regarded. It is only my own perception though, but other users may recognise what I am saying.
Old 23 June 2006, 09:22 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Good Reply.... i was actually hoping for a name...
Old 23 June 2006, 09:48 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by bag
Hi,
Maybe it is blodfaced thing for you. i am seller about the jewelry of Tiffany as the
necklace,bracelet,Earbob,Ring,Sets,Studs,Key Ring, Money Clips, DVD pieces, Sun Glasses(), Lighter of Dupont, handbag of
Louis Vuitton, Chloe, Belts, Hermes, Chanel, FendiBalenciaga, Marc Jacobs, Gucci Purse, Juicy, Gucci; pen of Louis Vuitton
and Mont Blanc, Watches of Rolex.
http://www.tiffany918.com
Email address : tiffany-918@hotmail.com
MSN: tiffany-918@hotmail.com
Skype Account: tiffany-918
we can give you the cheapest cost, because we are the biggest wholesaler.
thanks

Oh YES, where's my credit card, I'm definitely gonna buy some QUALITY ****e from you...................... arrh... here it is................I'm now phoning............ standby for a BIG order...................
Old 23 June 2006, 09:55 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by bag
Hi,
Maybe it is blodfaced thing for you. i am seller about the jewelry of Tiffany as the
necklace,bracelet,Earbob,Ring,Sets,Studs,Key Ring, Money Clips, DVD pieces, Sun Glasses(), Lighter of Dupont, handbag of
Louis Vuitton, Chloe, Belts, Hermes, Chanel, FendiBalenciaga, Marc Jacobs, Gucci Purse, Juicy, Gucci; pen of Louis Vuitton
thanks
WTF u on....
Old 23 June 2006, 09:59 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Originally Posted by bag
Hi,
thanks
MODS ...PLEASE GET RID OF THIS ****** ADVERTS ..TA
Old 23 June 2006, 10:09 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by bag
Hi,
thanks
Seems the user "BAG" is advertising **** on Scoobynet..and this is not the first time....

Supprised the mods havent picked up on it and banned him! ...
Old 23 June 2006, 10:12 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Just noticed all his previous posts indicate him trying to advertive!!!!