ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does everyone slate young drivers!

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2001, 03:09 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Probably has something to do with the fact that young drivers are responsible for more accidents than any other age group. And they tend to drive at speed, dangerously and usually in a car older than them with bald tyres.

Three weeks ago a "young driver" ploughed into the back of me and done a couple of grands worth of damage to my 3 month old car[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Edited to say my age, 28

[Edited by scoobynutta555 - 11/3/2001 3:12:48 PM]
Old 11 March 2001, 07:49 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

A lot of good points being made here & i would agree that u tend to get dangerous drivers in all shapes & sizes. As a meager 24 year old who's just bought a pucker MY97 no1 needs to tell me about how insurance companies give a healthy punishment to us youngsterslol oh well nearly 25 then i can moan about these nasty youths. But on a serious point it is true that young people are a greater risk, generally speaking, as while they have a much better ability to react quickly to changes in the road etc it has been proven, er can't remember where so never mind, that this is sadly overcome by the fact that they overestimate their abilities which inevitably ends up with them going OTT. Anyway there are the pros & cons of a lack of age & experiance but as a relative youngster who has a loathing of the cliched boyracer (as well as those mondeo style co. car types, white van man, middle lane hog, slow OAP's etc etc the full list of pet hates is available on request, lmao) here's hoping i continue to enjoy my luvly scoob without feeling the need to over step my abilities & continue 2 build up my no claims bonus.
Good luck 1 & all in avoiding the perils of her majesties highways
Si

[Edited by scooby_si - 11/3/2001 7:50:03 PM]
Old 03 November 2001, 11:01 AM
miggs
Scooby Regular

Angry

Why does everyone slate young drivers on this bbs i know there is a few ***** driving round but please dont tar us with the same brush

Miggs
Old 03 November 2001, 11:26 AM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Miggs

I dont think that anyone here go's out of way to slate young drivers.

I think that anyone that drives a perforance car is 'young at heart' anyway.

However, it does seem that younger drivers tend to drive a little recklessly at times (this is prob due to that excitement of driving and maybe a bit of showing off) been there, got the t-shirt.

i live on quite a big housing estate and there is a lot of youngsters driving around like idiots (nova's, corsa's and clapped out Xr3's) i think we all know the type - 60-70mph in a built up area ! sometimes i feel like pulling em over and telling them of an excellent A or B road where they can have a good blast without endangering themselves or others.

Anyway there are loads of plonkers on the road, young and old!

Cheers m8

S.

Old 03 November 2001, 11:38 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Cool

Young or old your still going to get unsafe drivers out there. Experience is a virtue indeed, but so is common sense.
Old 03 November 2001, 11:57 AM
alexf
Scooby Regular

Young drivers tend to attract more attention to themselves by the cars they own (i.e. Max'd novas, corsas, saxos etc...) and they way that they drive them (stupid speeds through residential areas especially near schools [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] ).
For each bad young driver I have come across recently there must a least three bad older dirvers, but as they are usually driving non-descript mondeos, vectras, renaults etc, they do not stick in the memory as much.

I personally haven't got a problem with young (or old) drivers in general, just those that seem to drive with blatant disregard for other road users - and there's a lot near me!

Alex
Old 03 November 2001, 12:15 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

hey lay off us 'non-descript' vectra drivers
Old 03 November 2001, 12:21 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

No doubt part of this is focused on me and my post about this BBS becoming a "Boy Racer BBS", but all we seem to get nowerdays is how fast does it go and what is your 0-60
Where are all the sensible questions gone?
Ive seen the same type of questions on other BBS's too and it is mainly the younger driver
I know that not all are stupid but once most get behind the wheel then their common sense goes out of the window
I myself do alot of driving in my job as im never in the same place, so i see so many idiots out there and the near misses that could be fatal if it would have been a second more
For me, speeding in residential areas is a big no no, it does make me [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] as it is soooooooooo easy to keep your scoob at that speed (30mph) but the people that sit 3 inches off your tail annoy me too (young and old) but the ones that want to race you and that cut you up are normally kids in clapped out gti's/novas/gte's etc and the second you get to a corner they are history damn i am faster in the van than alot of these kids with their hot hatches etc....
What does worry me though is that alot of the younger drivers are buying cars that they will never be able to maintain fully with lack of servicing etc it will make that car a death trap on the roads and more so for the other users [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Are they more reckless??
Yes.
Ive been there, ive done it too but when you see how bad it is, when you see someone overtaking soooooo bloody slowly past cars on a brow of a hill and your sitting there wondering if somethings coming the other way and if so how many cars its going to take out when they hit.......
That guy in folkestone on thurs night with his golf and his problem of me doing 30-33mph in a 30 then shoving his full beam on [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] i felt like slamming my brakes on (company van so not ar5ed) and asking him what his problem was [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] but ive got to stay calm or else ill end up like them, total idiots [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
OK ive finished my rant

Tony
Old 03 November 2001, 12:37 PM
DMB
Scooby Regular

Tony i have to say that i agree with a lot of what you are saying, appropriate speed is a wonderful thing but unfortunately most of those who drive like you suggest probably don't even know what appropriate means
Old 03 November 2001, 12:49 PM
mook
Scooby Regular

Of course there are naff drivers of any age but insurance companies wouldn't have high premiums for youngsters if they weren't a risk, so in general they must be. Indeed, when I was younger I must have pulled a few dodgy manouvers, but I learnt from them, it's when you see people endlessly driving like poo and not giving a hoop that you have to worry. Thing is, insurance companies will work out their risks given who is involved in accidents and make claims, which doesn't necessarily mean the people involved caused it. So not all young drivers are inherently dangerous but unfortunately find themselves caught up in accidents caused by others. Which is where reading the road and other drivers is invaluable, and that tends to come with more experience

Anyway, I personally think that the 45mph crew are the real dangers on the road. 45mph wherever they are, be it on a clear national speed limit A road (enticing people to overtake when they wouldn't otherwise risk it) or past the school at 3pm. Madness!!
Old 03 November 2001, 01:28 PM
monkeytennis
Scooby Regular

Just out of curiousity, at what age do young drivers become old drivers?
Old 03 November 2001, 01:37 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

When insurance becomes cheap

Tony
Old 03 November 2001, 01:51 PM
miggs
Scooby Regular

I didnt want to start a war on this bbs but it was doing my head in you see i am 27 and my insurance is cheap my wife is 24 she drives the car a lot but when she is driving i must say all the boyracers as some of you put it just stare at her driving that sort of car the only tw*ts that get bumper to bumper are middle aged company car drivers
so you see it aint just young people that dive like lunatics

I think its like a circle coz when you are 18 you drive fast then you get to 81 and you do 30 in a 60

This thread was not meant in any way to offend young or old drivers

Miggs
Old 03 November 2001, 01:54 PM
mook
Scooby Regular

I'm only 28, but I feel old

Yeah, as many have said, you get w**kers at any age, it depends what you normally drive amongst as to what sticks in your mind.
Old 03 November 2001, 04:03 PM
the link
Scooby Regular

it's not the age but the way ya drive that matters
Most drivers are responsible but the few that are not give others in their age grp a bad name.