Oil and Filter

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2006, 04:03 PM
snowboardingscooby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil and Filter

Guys and ladies

if you where to do an oil change, what oil and filter would you recommend to use please
Old 21 June 2006, 04:33 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

It depends on what model you have. If your car is a UK turbo, Subaru suggest using a semi-synthetic 10w40.

If the car is modified or you want the best protection available....

Millers 10w60 or Silkolene Pro R 15w50 fully-synthetic if the car is used hard, 10w40 fully-synthetic for normal driving, i.e. day to day driving with occasional hard use. Oil choice is one of the biggest cans of worms on scoobynet - everybody here has their own views on what to use, and will argue to the death it would seem over why what they use is a better choice than anyone else's.

As for the filters, I get mine from Subaru. They're cheap and the quality is good so there's no point using anything else. Make sure you order a new sump plug washer when you get your filter and replace this also.

I'll give it about 10 minutes before PSLewis arrives to argue with everything I've just said and suggest we all use distilled rainwater in our cars. Ahem....

Hope this helps,

Brian.
Old 21 June 2006, 04:41 PM
snowboardingscooby
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Brian

many thanks and the 10W40 is best for me for normal driving. Never even knew about the sump plug washer so again many thanks

James
Old 21 June 2006, 05:16 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

give one of these guys a call.

www.revolution.eu.com

or

www.asperformance.com

Alyn (ASP) i believe does a bundle deal on the oil and filter mailorder. read that on .org, not sure if its specific for .org members though

hope that helps, fprgot to say, they will both be able to tell you what you need

john
Old 21 June 2006, 05:25 PM
snowboardingscooby
Scooby Newbie

John

many thanks but i live in Germany !!! so best i get stuff out here saves on p & p

James
Old 21 June 2006, 05:42 PM
willsy369
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by snowboardingscooby
John

many thanks but i live in Germany !!! so best i get stuff out here saves on p & p

James
Fellow germany scooby owner, you in forces then? There are a few of us up in fally mate if you want to meet some time.

Willsy
Old 21 June 2006, 05:57 PM
John57
Scooby Regular

For my MY05 WRX PPP Opie oils recommended 5W40 fully synth such as Silkolene Pro S to me for normal use .....

I rang Subaru and they recommend 5W30 or 5W40 - specifically Shell Helix.

My dealer - Cheam Motors - uses Castrol but I personally will be going with the fully synth Shell at the service as I have a Shell station yards from me and it's easy to get a bit for a top up!

I think the general thing is you can get too **** about oils in cars - most will be fine and all 'named' makes should be OK so long as you abide by the temperature ratings.

Trending Topics

Old 21 June 2006, 06:12 PM
snowboardingscooby
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Originally Posted by willsy369
Fellow germany scooby owner, you in forces then? There are a few of us up in fally mate if you want to meet some time.

Willsy

Willsy

its was Smudge in Fally that go me my scooby after i went to visit him !!! I was in 4 Bn with him, slightly expensive weekend But he is coming down here 01 July and then i will be coming up to Fally a few weeks after that so yup lets all meet. We are also arranging a trip to Nurinburgh Ring (cannot spell) if you fancy joining us.

James
Old 21 June 2006, 06:13 PM
snowboardingscooby
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Originally Posted by John57
For my MY05 WRX PPP Opie oils recommended 5W40 fully synth such as Silkolene Pro S to me for normal use .....

I rang Subaru and they recommend 5W30 or 5W40 - specifically Shell Helix.

My dealer - Cheam Motors - uses Castrol but I personally will be going with the fully synth Shell at the service as I have a Shell station yards from me and it's easy to get a bit for a top up!

I think the general thing is you can get too **** about oils in cars - most will be fine and all 'named' makes should be OK so long as you abide by the temperature ratings.

Ok i am stupid Temp Ratings ??? i can dig holes and shoot thats about it
Old 21 June 2006, 08:28 PM
willsy369
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by snowboardingscooby
Willsy

its was Smudge in Fally that go me my scooby after i went to visit him !!! I was in 4 Bn with him, slightly expensive weekend But he is coming down here 01 July and then i will be coming up to Fally a few weeks after that so yup lets all meet. We are also arranging a trip to Nurinburgh Ring (cannot spell) if you fancy joining us.

James
Hi James, Smudger eh! could have guessed! well when your up mate will be good to meet up and all that and we will see how we can spend your money onthe new scoob! What did you but in the end, a classic?

Willsy
Old 22 June 2006, 02:38 PM
snowboardingscooby
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by willsy369
Hi James, Smudger eh! could have guessed! well when your up mate will be good to meet up and all that and we will see how we can spend your money onthe new scoob! What did you but in the end, a classic?

Willsy
Yes mate well i think it is !!!! ask smudge about me and machines Its a WRX STI 1998 so looking forward to some fun

Prof