Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it's handling...

Anti-lift kit
Bumpsteer removal
Solid ARB drop links
STi Alloy Strut brace front and rear
Decent CD and sounds

Dump valve - will give you nothing other than something shiny under the bonnet
Eibachs - do they work with the STi struts? Why would you want to make the suspension softer?
Brakes - if you want a small improvement, decent pads, goodridge hoses, brake bracket - or save up and get hi-spek, APs or similar.

Trout

If you want the full list of groovy thingsto do, let me know

[Edited by Trout - 11/3/2001 9:03:43 AM]
Old 03 November 2001, 12:17 AM
zjs
Scooby Regular

What are, in your opinion, the top five mods that can improve the STi V 4 door saloon?

I've been thinking:- Eibachs, Group N Brake Discs, Ferodo 2000 pads, Dump Valve, and a decent CD changer.

Your thoughts?

Zak
Old 03 November 2001, 09:26 AM
mook
Scooby Regular

I believe the best initial mods that can be made on any car is brakes and suspension. I appreciate that the scoobies handle pretty tip top stock but lets face it, if you improve brakes and suspension you can use much more of the power you already have, and apart from a small amount to cover replacemet costs, it's not going to affect your insurance much

Big brake kit - worth every penny
Old 03 November 2001, 10:25 AM
blp
Scooby Regular

Ive an Sti V5 4 door.
I changed brake discs and pads to rally ones...but certanly the high speed brake pads emitt a lot of brakje dust.
Have had the bump steer removed.
Upgraded the headlight bulbs.
Added Accident Black Spot Indicators (both laser and gatso)
Dont put Cd in...put mini disc in. CD will jump.....

Next on the list:
Will put driving lights on (havnet got anything at the moment)
Will add extra 3 dial pod into middle cubbie hole on dash.

http://www.lloydpayne.com/subaru

Feel free to drop me a line.
Brett
Old 03 November 2001, 04:47 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Downpipe downpipe downpipe dowmpipe downpipe!

If you can get 5 on all the better!

Releases a lot of HP & spins her up much earlier - mine spins up about a 1000 rpm earlier than the new model STi I drove recently (sic).

d
Old 03 November 2001, 09:51 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Some STi Vs do not take to having extra breathing to well - they lean out and det. Downpipe can cause this.

Some are OK, some aren't. Best to do this in conjunction with ECU and then it is all big money.

Trout
Old 05 November 2001, 10:13 AM
Dennis Hough
Scooby Newbie

I have a 2 door Sti5 type R and the best change was the downpipe. I have the entire exhaust including S'sport equal manifold, S'sport downpipe, Power Eng mid with Cat, S'sport rear box and ITG filter. Its now developed a surging at 2500 to 400 revs and feels like a misfire on light throttle such as in traffic on motorways. I am going to get the ECU change when i can afford it as it seems to be the only way to cure this. I had a full diag run at Power Eng on their dyno and they found nothing out of order.
I am about to fit a BPM inlet pipe and larger K+N Ind kit but am miffed about the poor running.
My only suggestion to anyone doing any exhaust changes is to make sure they test the misfire or hesitation before driving away from the garage fitting their new exhaust.. Dont just test its power at speed, also test its slower running or you may also get my problem with your STi's.
I also had Eibachs fitted to replace the standard springs. You infer they are softer than the STI ones. Have you data on this or just best guessing? Mine are hard and seem to do a good job of things.
I also have the nylon suspension bushes fitted and all seems well there.
WOuld you entertain the UNICHIP or just go for the LINK upgrade? Its about even apart from costs ...thats if you can believe the press.. I would prefer real user facts and experience on this.

cheers, Den
Old 05 November 2001, 10:21 AM
Steve Wilson
Scooby Regular

If you plan on doing any track days take the car to an experienced rally shop and get baffles added to the sump. Its a hell of a lot cheaper than new big ends.
Old 05 November 2001, 12:19 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

I've got a 4 door sti5 and my top mods are as follows :-

1. ap brakes
2. possum link ecu
3. hks or blitz centre & rear
4. scoobysport downpipe
5. decent induction kit

and im hoping a new entry into the top 5 will be aps front mounted intercooler in a few months
Old 05 November 2001, 03:11 PM
zjs
Scooby Regular

Hi Trout,

The main changes I want to make are to the suspension and brakes. I certainly don't want any more power in it! Having said that, I don't actually HAVE an STI or even a Subaru at the moment. My pennies will be spent in January 02 to buy the thing. In light of this, don't laugh too much at the questions! Ok, well, laugh away then!

Tell me, I was on a "rally day" recently and got to drive the Group N Lancer Evo V on tarmac and the thing that amazed me was that when I stuck my foot down the acceleration was so fierce it felt like I'd been kicked in the ****! Is the STi similar?

Also, you mentioned "Solid ARB drop links", what exactly would this mod do, and how much would it cost?

Cheers for the help mate,
Zak
Old 05 November 2001, 11:34 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Solid ARB....Antiroll Bar links - they are about Forty Quid and take twenty minutes to fix.

Re Unchip and Link - all in the prices are closer than you might think - if you do it properly.

I would prefer Link for greater flexibility - I'm not going to get into the usual debate - however my Scoob kicks me in the **** when I drive off down the road.

Trout
Old 05 November 2001, 11:40 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
;