Sponsored by:

The Propaganda War and how you can help

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2006, 06:09 PM
Group Captain Smudger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Propaganda War and how you can help

"Notice to all, yes that means you -- drive to and from the venue in a manner that will not cause ANYONE to complain!!!! anyone that wishes to drive like a fool will not be made welcome

Team just a quick one for the newer members that have not been before,

Will everyone please watch their speed to and from the meet.... as a lot will be aware so many Scoobs in one place has caused unwanted attention in the past... so if you can all drive safe back and fore the meet this should reduce the chance of any troubles on route.
Hopefully then in the future the attention will be more relaxed with us, he say's diplomatically"

The above recently placed on this website, in oversized and bold writing to ensure that you get the message.

Before I go on can I just say that I have nothing personally against the individuals that wrote the above but I wonder why they felt compelled to put this down? Now it’s all very laudable to be considerate but you just know that the people who posted the above are being somewhat hypocritical as it’s unlikely that with hand on heart they can say they have never ever, “drive[n] like a fool”, or always, “watch their speed”. And people will always complain regardless of what you do, or you think you are doing, to placate them. Perhaps they feel that they are doing something positive to negate people’s perceptions about Subaru owners being boy racers. But they’re not – in a small way they’re doing their own little bit aiding and abetting the Government and its agents in the speeding propaganda war. And they’re assuming that people going to the event will act like fools, which I find offensive. The Government’s idea is to make exceeding the speed limit as socially unacceptable as drinking and driving by constantly ramming the message down people’s throats that speeding per se is wrong. I would never drink and drive because if you’re involved in a collision you will always be presumed guilty, it doesn’t matter that the pedestrian lying in the road has consumed 15 pints of ale that evening and you have only had three, you are over the limit. That hit at 30mph the child survives, whereas at 40 they wouldn’t, to which I would say, if I’m travelling at 40 I would be well past that child before they’ve had a chance to cross the road so they won’t get hit (by me) at all. I am not condoning speeding through built up areas at all, simply saying that if we feel it necessary to start harping on about speeding to events then we’re doing the Government’s job for them, when instead we should be ridiculing the facile arguments that they put forward against driving fast. After Hungerford the Govt. decided that semi-automatic shotguns should be banned. When I went to a local clay pigeon shooting club with just such a weapon I was made to feel a pariah by the very people I would have thought would have had a vested interest in stopping such legisilation being enacted. The same could happen to us if we keep on posting these vacuous statements. Eventually the time will come when you’ll go out in your Japanese “rally special” that easily exceeds 140mph, though you never get near it, and does 0-60 in well under six seconds, and has scoops, spoilers and a big exhaust, and because you’ve started to feel guilty already, the glares and unwanted attention from the rest of the driving populous will, the Government hopes, eventually have you scurrying shamefaced to your local Ford dealer to look at that safe boring economical slow Focus he has in the showroom, and you can now become a worthy member of the driving public. Your protestations about your superior driving skills, your uprated brakes and tyres, your adherence to urban speed limits and your individuality will count for nought.

They’ve won.
Old 16 June 2006, 06:35 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I would say the quoted paragraph is based on the fact this country is full of do-gooders that don't want anything to happen in their back yard. In the case of a motor event. You can bet you'll get a large consituancy of people on SAGA's mailing list to complain at anything that to all intents, is a singular annual event.

This trickles down to local government (councils) and Police to resolve the matter. For sakes of publicity and political correctness. Out comes the tar, with a nice large brush and you'll all be branded boy racers simply due to the car you drive, or your age.

The problem is, this affects anyone who is interesting in any form of motoring event. And if you give the do-gooders the slightest excuse to complain, they will. And to that end it ruins it for everybody - like the Foodball screens being switched off in Manchester due to an extremely small number of idiots who have lower intelligence than an ostrich not being able to restrain themselves.

So all it takes is a few people acting like idiots. The do-gooders will complain, the police will then have to take the politically correct stance, and thus shut down the event for everyone. Or refuse permission for it to be held next time.

Unfortunately, the ones who drive like imbiciles and have no ability of self control aren't capable of reading that post, or this one.

And if they could, they wouldn't have the attention span to get past the second sentence. So all in all, its futile