Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, who's changed their TD04 turbo for something larger?

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2006, 08:11 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool So, who's changed their TD04 turbo for something larger?

I'll be having the turbo on my MY99 changed soon; I'm going from a TD04 to a VF34 (with supporting mods and a remap straight after of course)

Was just wondering how many of you had upgraded your std Turbos (particularly the TD04) and your opinion (good or bad) on the car's power, torque, delivery, drivability etc after the upgrade...

Any thoughts, stories, advice etc.. appreciated.

Ns04
Old 14 June 2006, 09:42 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

How much do u want for the td04? Sorry carnt help happy with mine making 276/281 but would like a spare.
Old 14 June 2006, 09:50 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

I've done that exact swap

Good points

Straight swap
More power
Excellent drive-ability
Pulls to the red line

Bad points

hmmm oh yes the turbo spools up later but thats been sorted now as i have some of Harvey Smiths ported headers
Old 14 June 2006, 10:24 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Granby
I've done that exact swap

Good points

Straight swap
More power
Excellent drive-ability
Pulls to the red line

Bad points

hmmm oh yes the turbo spools up later but thats been sorted now as i have some of Harvey Smiths ported headers
Thanks for the input, all good then!

Ported headers are part of the package I'm having fitted! I wanted to keep a good spool threshold as it's a UK car with a lower rev limit etc...

Any others?

Ns04
Old 15 June 2006, 03:34 AM
rigga
Scooby Regular

cant tell you the final results,but just swapped the td04 for a td05fe,ported headers and up pipe,decat system,walbro pump and bigger intercooler on my myoo wrx wagon....... driving off boost for a couple of weeks till i gat the power fc mapped... should be fun when its completed......
Old 15 June 2006, 06:42 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StudentScooby
How much do u want for the td04? Sorry carnt help happy with mine making 276/281 but would like a spare.
mine is in the for sale section mate
Old 15 June 2006, 06:47 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Swapped mine out for a VF28, larger sti intercooler, uprated fuel pump etc.
Couldnt afford the ported headers, as I needed an engine rebuild at the same time, but after the remap, the difference is quite noticeable.

the amount of torque is great, pulls much lower down and although it does take longer to spool up, the power surge is just more concentrated and goes on for longer than on the TD04.

The only downside i see now (especially in this weather), is that the engine bay temp had increased and am now suffering from some major heat soak, so need to sort that out.
Old 15 June 2006, 08:31 AM
muly
Scooby Regular

I had my td04 swapped for a vf24 and other mods below and then mapped by Andy F and the differance is night and day it goes really well

Engine-

Ninja 3" open neck decat downpipe, Magnex centre decat, Ninja b/box,

Harvey smith ported headers, 440 injectors, Sti 90mm Maf sensor, STi panel filter,

intercooler splitter, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Fuelab Pressure Regulator,

reversed fuel rails, Roger Clark Modified oil pump, Samco turbo and intercooler kit,

Intercooler water spray, Tilt kit.

Turbo- VF 24 Roller bearing turbo.

Ecu- Standalone Apexi power fc and commander Mapped By Andy Forrest.
Old 15 June 2006, 08:45 AM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Swapped mine for Vf28,

Have a hybrid FMIC, K&N induction kit, 3" Decat 5Zigen with a lagged Magnex downpipe and Tek 3

The car really pulls well now, I don't notice the lag to much, but when it comes on boast it's great fun. Got 317BHP on Powerstations rollers.

Whistle's a little bit though but I understand this is standard on VF models
Old 15 June 2006, 09:37 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by SwissTony
Swapped mine out for a VF28, larger sti intercooler, uprated fuel pump etc.
Couldnt afford the ported headers, as I needed an engine rebuild at the same time, but after the remap, the difference is quite noticeable.

the amount of torque is great, pulls much lower down and although it does take longer to spool up, the power surge is just more concentrated and goes on for longer than on the TD04.

The only downside i see now (especially in this weather), is that the engine bay temp had increased and am now suffering from some major heat soak, so need to sort that out.
That's interesting, I would have thought temps might be lower running a larger turbo under its potential than a TD04 to the max. I'm guessing that the non-wrapped headers aren't helping, and that you also have a decat DP, did you have the heatshield replaced when this was fitted, some people just leave it off rather than mdoify it to accommodate the larger DP.

Good info coming out here, any more?

Ns04
Old 15 June 2006, 10:03 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I went from a TD04 to a TD05 20G, TBH when I'm not in the mood it's annoying. No longer able to overtake from 50-60 in 5th, 2nd gear at crawling speed is lethargic, ie slow junction. Always change down to 1st for that sort of thing.

the 2 noticable bad points are;

turning up a slow 2nd gear junction up a steep hill

having to sit in 3rd for ages at 40mph waiting to overtake when you don't know where the straights are.

However due to the thump in the chest once the turbo does pick up there's no way I'd go back
Old 15 June 2006, 10:08 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by RB5_245
I went from a TD04 to a TD05 20G, TBH when I'm not in the mood it's annoying. No longer able to overtake from 50-60 in 5th, 2nd gear at crawling speed is lethargic, ie slow junction. Always change down to 1st for that sort of thing.

the 2 noticable bad points are;

turning up a slow 2nd gear junction up a steep hill

having to sit in 3rd for ages at 40mph waiting to overtake when you don't know where the straights are.

However due to the thump in the chest once the turbo does pick up there's no way I'd go back
Blimey mate, are you still on the std Gearbox with the 20G??? If so, well done!!!!!

Ns04
Old 15 June 2006, 10:58 AM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Have you not considered getting the TD04 modified by Andy F. I read the article in Scoobymag with the comparison to TD05's etc, and although it will never match bigger turbos higher up the rev range, it outpulled them in virtually all the acceleration times.
Old 15 June 2006, 11:19 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Blimey mate, are you still on the std Gearbox with the 20G??? If so, well done!!!!!

Ns04
Yup std uk gearbox for about 10k miles, some last, some dont. I have quite a bit of mechanical sympathy.
Old 15 June 2006, 11:19 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craigdmcd
Have you not considered getting the TD04 modified by Andy F. I read the article in Scoobymag with the comparison to TD05's etc, and although it will never match bigger turbos higher up the rev range, it outpulled them in virtually all the acceleration times.
Do you have any info on that?
Old 15 June 2006, 01:15 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

I've tried to host it on an msn site, but if the link doesn't work, then I could e-mail it to someone who has more of a clue about computers than me (just about everyone). I far prefer spanners and screwdrivers.
Craig
http://uk.msnusers.com/Subaruturboupgradesadvice
Old 15 June 2006, 01:35 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by craigdmcd
Yes, I did consider that. My understanding is that the VF series esp the 28 and 34 are still small turbos though and the few folks I've consulted have said that lag and spool threshold increases with these turbos over and above the TD04 aren't really an issue, especially a decat DP and ported headers etc...

Andy F himself (who, incidentally, has been incredibly helpful with his advice) did tell me over E-mail that the Tdo4 hybrid falls between the Td04 and the VF series in terms of power etc... I liked the idea of having a bigger turbo running under its potential than a smaller turbo worked to the max (thermal management, longevity etc..) Although I accept that this is not the optimal approach in terms of getting minimal lag etc...

I want that STi shove in the back!!

RB5 Nice to know that mechanical sympathy can mean even a TD05 20g not getting to eat a UK gearbox. It's encouraging for me, as I too try and drive the car as sympathetically as possible and am a bit worried about the gearbox even with the VF34.

Ns04
Old 15 June 2006, 01:37 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SwissTony
Heat soak what's that?

Old 15 June 2006, 01:41 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
Heat soak what's that?

Isn't that what happens when you leave your can of beer out in the sun!

Ns04
Old 15 June 2006, 01:42 PM
dogpole
Scooby Regular

i went to a VF28 and made 300bhp/290 torque
Old 15 June 2006, 02:22 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by dogpole
i went to a VF28 and made 300bhp/290 torque
Good stuff But more, importantly: How did you find it compared to the TD04?

Was there a bigger/longer shove in the back, was there a noticable difference in spool threshold/lag.....what happened to the car's behaviour/drivability around town, on A/B roads, what effect did it have on your fuel economy etc..

Regards,

Ns04
Old 15 June 2006, 03:31 PM
dogpole
Scooby Regular

Ns04,
It was the best £180 i've spent on the car.
Theres a more noticable push in the back and it seems to pull all the way to the red line. Drivability is fine, no problems and fuel economy didn't change.

hope this helps

dp
Old 15 June 2006, 10:27 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by dogpole
Ns04,
It was the best £180 i've spent on the car.
Theres a more noticable push in the back and it seems to pull all the way to the red line. Drivability is fine, no problems and fuel economy didn't change.

hope this helps

dp
It does, many thanks!

Any others?

Ns04
Old 15 June 2006, 10:37 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
RB5 Nice to know that mechanical sympathy can mean even a TD05 20g not getting to eat a UK gearbox. It's encouraging for me, as I too try and drive the car as sympathetically as possible and am a bit worried about the gearbox even with the VF34.

Ns04
I know of a few other cars running around 320-350lb-ft on uk boxes for thousands of miles without problem. I won't say it's a myth that they break at this torque level, and I'm surprised mine hasnt but I think it goes the same as in a percentage or imprezas pic0king up a bearing and therfor the ej20 being branded with a weak bottom end.

Mine doesn't make a rattle/clunk or grind of any sorts after 10000ish miles of 320 to 350lb-ft (at a guess).

There are no gurentees at this level though which is something you have to live with every day.
Old 15 June 2006, 10:44 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

I went to a VF34 on my my00 uk turbo, with FMIC, supporting mods and an Andy F remap, made 312BHP on Powerstations rollers, i can notice a dfference with the spool up but it's not to bad get 1 bar by just under 3000rpm. The top end is much better i found the TD04 was out of puff by about 5500rpm where as the VF34 pulls all the way to the limiter.

I haven't got Ported header yet, that is the next thing i need after a new boost controller.
Old 15 June 2006, 11:04 PM
AsianGunner
Scooby Regular

i had abit of a dilema lately to do with this topic, basically i had to get a new turbo on MY02 wrx because a gasket broke up in my up pipe which went into the turbo an siezed it up.

i've obviously got a td04 in mine, an had thought i had to upgrade my turbo if i ever wanted to get 300bhp and 300lbs torque, but because i wasn't about to upgrade alot of other thinks on mine i was strongly advised against getting a bigger turbo. i currently only have a full decat (including up pipe) an green panel filter as my only performance upgrades

what would i need to do to pretty much garuntee i'm going to get the magic 300bhp when i go for a remap next month?

i.e fuel pump/3 port solenoid/injectors/tmic/boost controller etc?

nick
Old 15 June 2006, 11:14 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run an early UK car which had the TD05 as standard. I run an Andy F mapped Power FC. With a 3" decat DP and system, FMIC and induction kit I get 1bar at 2900rpm (4th gear) and 1.4bar by 3150rpm. The TD05 starts spooling around 2600rpm ish. It can hold max boost to the limiter quite nicely
Old 15 June 2006, 11:22 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I changed my TD04 for a TD05 16G and then for a TD05 18G (andy forrest / deadbolt)

I have to say the change from the TD04 to the TD05 16G beggars belief !!

(with 2.5" decat, Harveys headers, STi intercooler, STi pink injectors, panel filter, oil, PFrB7 plugs) all Mapped by Bob "Guru" Rawle

The next change to the TD05 18G with APS FMIC and a few more mods was not as noticable..........untill you had to overtake someone and then they soon became a very small dot in the mirror !!

Shaun
Old 16 June 2006, 02:53 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by AsianGunner
i had abit of a dilema lately to do with this topic, basically i had to get a new turbo on MY02 wrx because a gasket broke up in my up pipe which went into the turbo an siezed it up.

i've obviously got a td04 in mine, an had thought i had to upgrade my turbo if i ever wanted to get 300bhp and 300lbs torque, but because i wasn't about to upgrade alot of other thinks on mine i was strongly advised against getting a bigger turbo. i currently only have a full decat (including up pipe) an green panel filter as my only performance upgrades

what would i need to do to pretty much garuntee i'm going to get the magic 300bhp when i go for a remap next month?

i.e fuel pump/3 port solenoid/injectors/tmic/boost controller etc?

nick
Fuel pump- Yes for safety if nothing else!
3 port- Yes, better boost control, not usually necessary on std turbo, ask your mapper.
Injectors- I think the 380s in the 02 are good for 300 hbp, but check with your mapper
TMIC- Sti intercooler would be good.
Boost controller- Should be redundant with remap.

TBH I would say that to make 300bhp, you're looking at a bigger turbo though. Have a chat with Andy F, he could sell you a hybrid TD04 that'd make 300 and should be gearbox friendly. David at APi is also an outstanding surce of help and advice on tuning.

Ns04
Old 16 June 2006, 04:59 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
I changed my TD04 for a TD05 16G and then for a TD05 18G (andy forrest / deadbolt)

I have to say the change from the TD04 to the TD05 16G beggars belief !!

(with 2.5" decat, Harveys headers, STi intercooler, STi pink injectors, panel filter, oil, PFrB7 plugs) all Mapped by Bob "Guru" Rawle

Shaun
Was the TD04 running as standard or remapped before you went to the TD05-16g..?

Just trying to gauge the difference as most people are super impressed by the difference from std to remapped TD04 iyswim..?

NS04 when are you seeing Bob, iirc your TD04 is unmapped..?

Quick Reply: So, who's changed their TD04 turbo for something larger?