Sponsored by:

Anyone fitted a front strut brace

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2001, 08:39 PM
jason@fazackerley.com
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Did it make the handling any better ? I plan to have the standard subaru unit fitted to a MY02 5 door.
Old 01 November 2001, 10:32 PM
haynesaj
Scooby Regular

I had the ordered the standard Subaru one for my MY01. It was delayed and was eventually fitted 2 months after I took delivery of the car. This gave me a good chance to compare with and without and can honestly say that it made no difference whatsoever to the handling and was a waste of money.

Cheers

Andrew
Old 02 November 2001, 09:03 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

I've got an OMP strutbrace on my MY96 and you only really notice it's there on the limit. It must have SOME effect, whether it is immediately noticeable or not is another thing. It's not like fitting lowered springs or something.

It can't really be as effective as a straight brace, as it has to have a bend in it to get round the intercooler (although I have seen some straight ones on scoobies).

If you are driving sanely, you won't even know it's there, but on a track day or driving enthusiastically I certainly feel the benefit of it, the car seems to steer better and with slightly less roll IMHO.

I wouldn't waste my £ on these £250 jobbies though. My brace cost about £45, and at that price, even if it doesn't do anything, so what?? It looks good
Old 02 November 2001, 09:24 AM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

I fitted them on the back and front of my (modified) scooby and can say they made a world of difference. The suspension on my car is a little bit firm and now the suspension is made to move rather than the chassis. For anyone out there with firm suspension, try it. I put a Cusco on the rear and an OMP on the front (cos I couldn't get a Cusco one!)
Old 02 November 2001, 12:10 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with Stuart - fitted front and rear Sparco braces and found when cimboned with Eibach springs car felt much better (1994 WRX with 50,000 miles).

Old 02 November 2001, 01:48 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I've got the Subaru (STi) strut on my MY'01, it made a very small difference, but a difference non the less, not worth the money though.

Bigest difference you can make to the MY'01's stability/handling is stick a set of the OZ/Prodrive 18" 10 spokes on, this completely transforms the car!

Rgds, Alex