Sponsored by:

HELP!! Dilemma!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2006, 06:54 PM
white
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! Dilemma!!!

My STI is due to be delivered in August but over the last few days I have been increasingly attracted to the 'dark side'

I don't know what's happening to be honest

I've always appreciated the Evo for what it was but my have always favoured the Scoob but now I just cant seem to stop looking at Evo's that are for sale.

I'm really tempted to cancel my order and go and buy a second hand low mileage MR.

I've got about 6 grand to spend in total for mods so what should I do????

I'm hoping someone will verbally smack me about a bit and make me see sense (although you can come and physically hit me if that'll help!)
Old 03 June 2006, 07:01 PM
LiamWR1(2)
Scooby Regular

It's your money! The key would be if a scoob and evo sat side by side, which one would you get in and drive?

Liam

PS - Liking the new look Evo 10 (hmmmm........ dark side me thinks )
Old 03 June 2006, 07:15 PM
white
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LiamWR1(2)
It's your money! The key would be if a scoob and evo sat side by side, which one would you get in and drive?
I honestly do not know anymore!!

If you'd asked me last week I woul've said the Scoob without a doubt. I just love the look of the MY06. But the more posts I read regarding the comparison of the Evo against the Scoob all seem to say the Evo is the more robust car in terms of reliability, tuning etc.

**** me! I don't whether I'm coming or going at the moment!
Old 03 June 2006, 08:06 PM
jonjo
Scooby Regular

Stick with a scoob...drove an evo 6 last night and was not impressed.....

just my opinion though
Old 03 June 2006, 08:52 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Talking

Get the Scoob!End of!
Old 03 June 2006, 09:19 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by white
(although you can come and physically hit me if that'll help!)
can i give you a slap just coz im in a bad mood today
Old 03 June 2006, 09:56 PM
white
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stephb1986
can i give you a slap just coz im in a bad mood today

Yep if you feel the need
Old 03 June 2006, 10:24 PM
oobster
Scooby Regular

You cant put yourself in a position of thinking "what if" - i reckon if thats what your head is telling you to do (i.e. Evo) then go for it - if it's not your cup of tea then get shot of it and order another scooby!
Old 03 June 2006, 10:54 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

if it's going to be a daily driver get the scoob

if a plaything get the evo

*** comments based on mates who've tried all combinations of options***
Old 03 June 2006, 11:00 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

My STI is due to be delivered in August but over the last few days I have been increasingly attracted to the 'dark side'

I don't know what's happening to be honest

I've always appreciated the Evo for what it was but my have always favoured the Scoob but now I just cant seem to stop looking at Evo's that are for sale.

I'm really tempted to cancel my order and go and buy a second hand low mileage MR.

I've got about 6 grand to spend in total for mods so what should I do????

I'm hoping someone will verbally smack me about a bit and make me see sense (although you can come and physically hit me if that'll help!)
Personally i`d go for the evo all day long a mates got a sti and whilst i think its ok,doesnt really blow me away heard some ppl saying the engines arent as strong as the older sti`s either, make of this what you will,anyway heres a few pics u decide lol.

rons 2006 sti
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...i/bd20213a.jpg

mate of a mates evo 9 gt

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/b34e0613.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/026d5b1a.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/85fb0394.jpg
details below of evo 9gt spec/price
http://www.litchfieldimports.co.uk/evo9.asp
Old 03 June 2006, 11:12 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

Ref probs with 2006 sti`s and power upgrades check this thread from about post 14 for instance(it aint just me and me mates thats heard rumours)
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=519147
Old 04 June 2006, 07:02 AM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

Nice EVO 7 FOR SALE HERE
Old 04 June 2006, 09:09 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Initially you may be a bit disappionted with the MY06. There seems little sense of involvement due to the lack of engine noise. When stationary you could rev it at 7krpm and not know it was running Get rid of that B/Box and resonator section before it, your scooby burble and smile will soon reappear.

Evo is a very very capable Car and should't knock it till you've tried it

I did find the Evo never said to me "Slow down" always said "Go faster" so I felt I'd live longer with a scoob. IMHO

Tony

Enjoy
Old 04 June 2006, 09:26 AM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

Yep if you feel the need
thank you *slaps you with a big fish over the head 5 times*

i feel much better now thanks
Old 04 June 2006, 10:15 AM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

keep asking myself the same as I am very tempted to get rid of my old classic , for a newer car.

I am not as keen on the MY06 sti UK compared to the MY05 . the steering on the MY06 is not as sharp and the seats are cr4p imo. the MY05 feels the better car apart from the gearbox , the MY05 has poor spacing and notchier changes where as the MY06 has a much smoother change with much nicer spacing. I also think that when modded the 2litre engine has the edge as although it lacks the cc's/low down grunt , they seem to take a bit more abuse over the 2.5 which seem to crack pistons quite easily.

I prefer the evo9 over the MY06 sti and with the evo you will not need to spend much of your mod fund to get around 400bhp . both the MY05 and 06 scoobs need a turbo swap to get anywhere near this and even then the intercooler is still in the wrong place compared to the evo. I do not like the shift feel in the evo , I am a farmer and find smoother shifts on tractors . I also find the evo a bit "light" when going for it on my favourite rougher back roads , the car seems to get upset by pot holes and drain covers much more easily than the MY05 sti which feels much more planted over these roads , there is not much doubt about it though that with the same power , the evo is probably the quicker track car if your into track days.

I have not actually driven a spec-c but adding this to the list might be worth considering as if you are modding they come with an oil cooler and better heads to any other model. with the twin scroll turbo they should be the closest 2litre scoob to the evo but turbo swaps may be limited if you want more. the gearing is shorter than the MY06 uk but it does have a higher rev limit.

this is basically how I feel

spec-c - should be closest to the evo standard v standard
MY05 sti UK - should have got the MY06 uk gearbox but imo still a good all-rounder but needs modded ,265bhp is p1sh , turbo swap should see high 300's easily enough. some cheap deals out there.
evo9 -easy mod to 400bhp but poor shifts ,great on smooth roads but a bit of a handful on rougher
MY06 -good gearbox , pistons might not like going over 350bhp with regular hard use. I would probably stop at a PPP level.

Last edited by T-uk; 04 June 2006 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04 June 2006, 11:19 AM
Jap Import
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scarey
if it's going to be a daily driver get the scoob

if a plaything get the evo

*** comments based on mates who've tried all combinations of options***
After having had the opportunity to drive both I'd say Scooby for both the above.

If it's a daily runner SCOOB
If it's a plaything get the SCOOB and spend the mod money.

From experience (only short term though) the Evo's I've come into contact with are hard as hell on the road and just dont hold together that well, with bits comming off here and there.

The above is just my oppinion and i'm SURE some1 will have a different one.

Good luck with your decision
Old 04 June 2006, 10:50 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

I've had both and I love the EVO, its everything I thought the Impreza would be before I bought one. Dont get me wrong, the Impreza is a great car & I'd still have another, but for me the EVO edges ahead on everything. I've never experienced any "bits falling off" & when I drive the EVO I'm 100 % confident that there will be no catastrophic failures, where as with the Impreza I was always wondering when it would go bang. As most of you know, due to work commitments I'm having to sell mine, but I wouldnt hesitate to get another when the time is right
Old 05 June 2006, 09:59 AM
white
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MadGrip
where as with the Impreza I was always wondering when it would go bang. As most of you know, due to work commitments I'm having to sell mine, but I wouldnt hesitate to get another when the time is right
You've hit the nail right on the head for me there mate.

If anyone was gonna end up cracking a piston then it would be me with my luck!!!

It's these cast pistons I'm worried about more than anything. I would like around 375BHP but a very RELIABLE 375 at that as I can be quite hard on a car when it comes to giving it some stick.

The other choice I have is still sticking with the Scoob but changing the pistons for some forged items.

If I could get a good quote off someone for doing that work then I would be up for it.

To everyone else who has replied - thanks for the advice. I've got a lot to think about!