Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who says classic uk turbos are slow??

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2006, 08:01 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who says classic uk turbos are slow??

Sold my sti 4 three months ago and regretted it big time. Just bought myself an absolutley mint MY99 UK Turbo. Its got 50k and full Subaru service history, 1 owner for the last 6 years (Paul Hoskins..... thanks for all the hard work m8!)
Mods include:

Full Decat Magnex System
Green Panel Filter
Tek 2 Ecu Map
Eibrach Lowering springs
18 inch P1 Alloys with 225/35/18 Goodyear F1's
Geometry set up by Elite

Dynoed at 277bhp, 266lb/ft torque.

Overall, a much nicer drive than my old sti running 310bhp. And it actually feels a bit more torquey low down.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...Photo-0303.jpg
Old 02 June 2006, 08:06 AM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

I don't think that the UK turbo has ever been slow, it simply dosen't dominate the roads anymore like it did say 10 years ago.

With the amazing progression of TDI's these days a standard UK turbo is given a run for it's money.

Nice car by the way

Rob
Old 02 June 2006, 08:55 AM
mcarrick69
Scooby Newbie

With the amazing progression of TDI's these days a standard UK turbo is given a run for it's money.
What sort of TDI's you thinking? I know some are good but 200+bhp????
Old 02 June 2006, 09:07 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget the BHP, it's the torque that matters.

My brother's TDI has only 130bhp, but over 200ft/lb of torque. He's just had it REVO'ed and in 2nd/3rd gear it pulls like my RB5. Handles like ****, but I could see it keeping up with a std Turbo on he motorway or A-roads.
Old 02 June 2006, 09:34 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

That lOOKs great. A nice example and lovely colour. I agree with post #2 though, other cars have caught up, that's all. It doesn't own the road like it used to. But who cares!!!
Old 02 June 2006, 09:37 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Of course, it's not just performance. What turns heads still?

An oil burner, or a Scoob?

Dan
Old 02 June 2006, 09:52 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Of course, it's not just performance. What turns heads still?

An oil burner, or a Scoob?

Dan
It's a refreshing change sometimes though to go out in the oil burner, you feel invisible, which is nice. Rather than the whole world turning to lOOk to see who the hell is making all the racket.
Old 02 June 2006, 10:00 AM
Ibiza_Cupra
Scooby Regular

i am with you on this one, i got a uk turbo and i think the last thing it is is slow
Old 02 June 2006, 10:55 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Lets not turn this into a ' buy a diesel' thread!
I was just refering to what a lot of people say about imports being so much better, than the uk equivilent.
Yes, they maybe a bit more powerful, but to be honest, there isn't a massive difference between my old sti 4 ( 310bhp, 260lb/ft ) and new MY99 UK ( 277bhp, 266lb/ft ). Maybe its because both cars have similar torque values??
All I know is that it is as fast as my old sti in a straight line, and feels a lot more planted through the corners. I think the softer dampers coupled with eibrach springs and 18inch goodyear f1 tyres, just seem much more suited to our bumpy uk roads.

Don't spose anyone knows the weight of MY99 UK Turbo??
Old 02 June 2006, 11:00 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Lets not turn this into a ' buy a diesel' thread!
I was just refering to what a lot of people say about imports being so much better, than the uk equivilent.
Yes, they maybe a bit more powerful, but to be honest, there isn't a massive difference between my old sti 4 ( 310bhp, 260lb/ft ) and new MY99 UK ( 277bhp, 266lb/ft ). Maybe its because both cars have similar torque values??
All I know is that it is as fast as my old sti in a straight line, and feels a lot more planted through the corners. I think the softer dampers coupled with eibrach springs and 18inch goodyear f1 tyres, just seem much more suited to our bumpy uk roads.

Don't spose anyone knows the weight of MY99 UK Turbo??

1235KG mate
Old 02 June 2006, 11:04 AM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
Forget the BHP, it's the torque that matters.

My brother's TDI has only 130bhp, but over 200ft/lb of torque. He's just had it REVO'ed and in 2nd/3rd gear it pulls like my RB5. Handles like ****, but I could see it keeping up with a std Turbo on he motorway or A-roads.
In motorway gears (i.e 5th on my UK classic turbo and 6th on my vRS Fabia), from 70-90 I reckon the Furby would pull away from the scooby by a fair way.

In lower gears at such speeds, then the Scooby would murder it.

Still nice to see that modern "fast" cars are compared to a car that first appeared over 10 years ago! I'd be concerned for the motor industry if the competition hadn't caught up in that time!
Old 02 June 2006, 11:06 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

A lot of our group run modified STi's running 330bhp+ and my modded 280 ish classic can just about stay with them. that will be power to weight for you plus my torque figure of around 300lb's

obviously at santa pod or something like that i would expect they'd pull away but the difference would be marginal and on the road it would be nothing.

I kept with an M3 convertable the other week - why when it has 338bhp? simple there torque is 270lbs and they weigh over 1650kgs!!!!
up to semi-legal speeds anyway i hasten to add.
Old 02 June 2006, 11:08 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Duck_Pond
In motorway gears (i.e 5th on my UK classic turbo and 6th on my vRS Fabia), from 70-90 I reckon the Furby would pull away from the scooby by a fair way.

In lower gears at such speeds, then the Scooby would murder it.

Still nice to see that modern "fast" cars are compared to a car that first appeared over 10 years ago! I'd be concerned for the motor industry if the competition hadn't caught up in that time!
I woudl say the Fabia is right in its 'meat' of its torque so to speak, i find my 99 classic is feckin' rapid from 90-120 in 5th. having said that this is where your big heavy saloons really show there power and start to reel in your average scoob
Old 02 June 2006, 11:18 AM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

It is - all the power and torque comes in at a mere 1900rpm, so at such speeds it pulls away very quickly. You're right about the performance from 90 onwards, though if you're really gunning it, 4th is good for 120
Old 02 June 2006, 11:22 AM
r5 gtt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ibiza_Cupra
i am with you on this one, i got a uk turbo and i think the last thing it is is slow
i disagree..kind of..
i got a my99 uk classic more or less standard apart from the decat zorst and filter and yes it does pick up speed quite well but you can't feel it, i don't like the gearing as u can't change quick so loose power there especially 1st to 2nd gear. but i've never driven a import so don't know how well they go either really.
Time to get my bigger turbo, injectors and front mount on and get a remap then i'll let you know if i think its fast or not..lol
( i have driven my mates 325bhp uk classic and yea it does pull well, but he's also paid alot of money to get it going like that )
Old 02 June 2006, 11:31 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r5 gtt
i disagree..kind of..
i got a my99 uk classic more or less standard apart from the decat zorst and filter and yes it does pick up speed quite well but you can't feel it, i don't like the gearing as u can't change quick so loose power there especially 1st to 2nd gear. but i've never driven a import so don't know how well they go either really.
Time to get my bigger turbo, injectors and front mount on and get a remap then i'll let you know if i think its fast or not..lol
( i have driven my mates 325bhp uk classic and yea it does pull well, but he's also paid alot of money to get it going like that )

TBH mine felt a bit flat when it just had a decat on - i had a remap by Andy F and it made a massive difference, runs about 280 ish now and feels great and because it has a TD04 turbo has a lovely midrange shove.

BTW if you get a bigger turbo plus all teh mods above you will be putting your gearbox under a lot of stress, i'd say just get a remap and see how you go on
Old 02 June 2006, 11:37 AM
r5 gtt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
TBH mine felt a bit flat when it just had a decat on - i had a remap by Andy F and it made a massive difference, runs about 280 ish now and feels great and because it has a TD04 turbo has a lovely midrange shove.

BTW if you get a bigger turbo plus all teh mods above you will be putting your gearbox under a lot of stress, i'd say just get a remap and see how you go on
yeah i know it needs the remap really to get the best out of it..just waiting on my mate to get the ecutek software at his work.
I've got a bigger turbo already it's only off my mates sti type R (ihi vf24?) and injectors too, so nothing too massive.
i thought the gearboxes were good for 350bhp? i'm aiming for around 300bhp with similar torque...i hope.
Old 02 June 2006, 11:43 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r5 gtt
yeah i know it needs the remap really to get the best out of it..just waiting on my mate to get the ecutek software at his work.
I've got a bigger turbo already it's only off my mates sti type R (ihi vf24?) and injectors too, so nothing too massive.
i thought the gearboxes were good for 350bhp? i'm aiming for around 300bhp with similar torque...i hope.
Now dont quote me here 'cos i'm no expert but if you get a bigger turbo plus all the mods you will have over 320lbs of torque which (apparently) is the gearbox limit - plus the turbo will come in with a bigger bang so to speak which means it will put your box under stress. it all depends on how you drive it as well. some people run up to 400bhp on a standard gearbox but i would imagine it would not last long with this sort of power.
you might have to uprate your clutch as well.

Mine started slipping straight after the remap - not because its fooked its just that the clutch is overwhelmed by the torque increase.

funny though it seems ok now.

Edited*** i would uprate your fuel pump also just to be on the safe side
Old 02 June 2006, 12:34 PM
r5 gtt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
Now dont quote me here 'cos i'm no expert but if you get a bigger turbo plus all the mods you will have over 320lbs of torque which (apparently) is the gearbox limit - plus the turbo will come in with a bigger bang so to speak which means it will put your box under stress. it all depends on how you drive it as well. some people run up to 400bhp on a standard gearbox but i would imagine it would not last long with this sort of power.
you might have to uprate your clutch as well.

Mine started slipping straight after the remap - not because its fooked its just that the clutch is overwhelmed by the torque increase.

funny though it seems ok now.

Edited*** i would uprate your fuel pump also just to be on the safe side

yep fuel pump is next on the list of things to get, and yes agreed i think i would need a clutch after the remap, gonna get a lighter flywheel too and see if she then rev's a little quicker too.
Old 02 June 2006, 01:13 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Its all feckin money mate - where does it end??????

I know the feeling!!!
Old 02 June 2006, 01:19 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Sold my sti 4 three months ago and regretted it big time. Just bought myself an absolutley mint MY99 UK Turbo. Its got 50k and full Subaru service history, 1 owner for the last 6 years (Paul Hoskins..... thanks for all the hard work m8!)
Mods include:

Full Decat Magnex System
Green Panel Filter
Tek 2 Ecu Map
Eibrach Lowering springs
18 inch P1 Alloys with 225/35/18 Goodyear F1's
Geometry set up by Elite

Dynoed at 277bhp, 266lb/ft torque.

Overall, a much nicer drive than my old sti running 310bhp. And it actually feels a bit more torquey low down.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...Photo-0303.jpg
now why does that car look familiar

had to ride my bike to work today, what a pain in the ****!

sounds like you're well chuffed, nice to hear it's gone to a good home
Old 02 June 2006, 01:24 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

i doubt very much if youd be putting out over 320lbft with a VF24 with those mods....its possible but at max but i doubt the mapper would run that turbo that hard. 300 is possibly but id suggest 290 or so on a decent tune.
Old 02 June 2006, 01:32 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I love classics. They are the best Impreza IMO. A standard UK car is quick enough. 270hp will be awesome, no matter what.
Old 02 June 2006, 01:33 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neilo
i doubt very much if youd be putting out over 320lbft with a VF24 with those mods....its possible but at max but i doubt the mapper would run that turbo that hard. 300 is possibly but id suggest 290 or so on a decent tune.
well depending on who's rollers you'd believe i know you can get 320lbs out of a TD04 - and surely a VF24 is a better turbo than a TD04 - i'm not technical thogh so correct me if i'm wrong
Old 02 June 2006, 01:34 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

when evo magazine performance tested a standard MY99 they got the following:

0-60 5.4secs
0-100 14.6
quarter mile: 14.5

and most 20mph increments in about 3secs dead

even now I call that pretty quick, sure you have to work the car a bit to keep these pesky new diesels at bay but to me it is still quick
Old 02 June 2006, 02:09 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Don't kid yourselves.....whilst a 'chipped' diesels 'may' come within a sniff of the slowest bug/blobeye turbo Imprezas, they wont come close to a UK classic.

I have run at that power and lower for a few years and can confidently say that no bus engine has come anywhere near - at any speeds.

With v similar spec mine would easily do 0-100mph in 13.4secs.
Old 02 June 2006, 02:11 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Looks like a lovely car btw

Is it a very early MY99? No colour coded mirrors?
Old 02 June 2006, 02:17 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
Don't kid yourselves.....whilst a 'chipped' diesels 'may' come within a sniff of the slowest bug/blobeye turbo Imprezas, they wont come close to a UK classic.

I have run at that power and lower for a few years and can confidently say that no bus engine has come anywhere near - at any speeds.

With v similar spec mine would easily do 0-100mph in 13.4secs.
I used to play with new age STI's in my old custom tuned fabia, and 0-100 an impreza will have the upper hand because it is AWD, quite light and petrol. The average diesel needs to be in 4th to hit 100 which loses a few points of a second. I managed a 15.2 1/4 in the fabia - but once rolling you can efficiently use 4th from 40mph to 100mph which is where it gains it's advantage. There after STI's start to pull away, so short stints out of bends at knock hill for example the chipped diesel stuff can gain a real advantage.
Old 02 June 2006, 02:29 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

not sure what a new Fabia weighs but 2000 model weighs 1173KGs vs Blob STi 1470kgs. 4WD is not the definitive answer for straight line performance - a 250-270bhp FWD car can comfortably run 0-100mph in the 13s.
Old 02 June 2006, 02:38 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
not sure what a new Fabia weighs but 2000 model weighs 1173KGs vs Blob STi 1470kgs. 4WD is not the definitive answer for straight line performance - a 250-270bhp FWD car can comfortably run 0-100mph in the 13s.
Fabia weighs about 1315kg's my personal power figures were 160WHP and 280W lb/ft. I guess the extra weight of the newer stuff gave me a bit of an advantage. Looking at the classic stats they would be quicker.

Quick Reply: Who says classic uk turbos are slow??