205 GTI- what to do with it ?

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2006, 08:09 PM
Rajaman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 205 GTI- what to do with it ?

Hello All
I recently purchased a nice 205 1.9 GTI off here, standard apart from uprated engine mount, magnex exhaust and K&N Induction.
Since purchasing it I have had it fully serviced including new pads, put on a set of 4 new Toyo's, bought a new FIA approved roll cage and 2 new Corbeau bucket seats, need to get harnesses.
I am going to loose most of the interior & the glass roof and bond a sheet of perspex / polycarbonate in its place, should help loose a few kilos.
I am wondering what to do with the suspension, it feels pretty tight as it is, but I have seen kits ( shocks and springs ) which lower by 50 mm, has anyone got any experience of this, as this seems too much to me.
Then, the question is what do I do with it ......?
I originally bought it with track days in mind, but have been thinking about entering some kind of motorsport, rallying, hillclimbing, grass tracking ? but don't know too much about any of them, I would be doing this with a friend and just want to have fun really without breaking the bank, so it has to be on a budget, I live in Birmingham so any where around the Midlands is accesible
Re Power - I can't bring myself to go for an MI16 conversion yet, was possibly thinking about webber twin 40's, would these give me a significant power increase over standard, anything else any of you can reccomend, it doesn't have to be the fastest thing on the block, my other car is a 400 BHP STI 7 so that ticks that box nicely...
All thoughts, inputs & suggestions will be gratefully considered and appreciated
Ray
Old 01 June 2006, 08:15 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Webbers give a good increase in power (probably 40bhp+), but are a bit of a git to setup!

Mi-16 is a good choice if you want more top-end power, but a lot of people go for 2.0 turbo engines out the 406 for example, and then up the boost.

Full roll-cage is certainly a good move as they dont stand up too well to that sort of accident (and Im speaking from experience!)

IMO it would be quite well suited to hill climbs, and that looks like fantastic fun too!!!
Old 01 June 2006, 08:15 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Webbers give a good increase in power (probably 40bhp+), but are a bit of a git to setup!

Mi-16 is a good choice if you want more top-end power, but a lot of people go for 2.0 turbo engines out the 406 for example, and then up the boost.

Full roll-cage is certainly a good move as they dont stand up too well to that sort of accident (and Im speaking from experience!)

IMO it would be quite well suited to hill climbs, and that looks like fantastic fun too!!!
Old 01 June 2006, 08:48 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I doubt you will get 40bhp from a set of carbs on a standard 205. You would need a cam etc to get anywhere near that IMHO.

MI 16's are popular conversions but can be unreliable if not done properly. If you wish to hill climb the car its worth checking the grouping. An MI engine will put you into a high modded group running you against kit cars and cossie powered stuff. Again im not an expert but I think thats the case.

With regard to suspension what is the cars characteristics at the moment, does it lift off over steer? Does it corner flat, how does it feel. I run Koni's all round on mine front coil overs and rear struts. The car is lower than standard but probably not 50mm. It understeers rather than oversteers but it suits my driving style.

They are great little cars, never the fastest in a straight line, but they make up for it in the corners.

Gary
Old 02 June 2006, 11:38 AM
Rajaman
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies do far
in response to your questions Gary
It corners flat, and has definate lift of oversteer. Initially v sharp turn in folowed by some controllable understeer, unless you get cut up mid bend, which leads to v definate lift off oversteer, I have had one before so knew what to expect, fun, fun, fun.......
Ray
Old 02 June 2006, 12:01 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

You really need to decide what you want to do with it and then prep it accordingly, rather than the other way round.

Suspension and ride heights will be completely different for (tarmac) hillclimbing vs. grasstracking and if you gut out the inside or put twin 40's on it you'll never be able to use it for road rallying.

Decide what to do with it first, then ask for the best suggestions...