ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Scoobies are crap !!

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2001, 05:38 PM
Cambelt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Well now that I have got your attention !! I can honestly say that the title was just to get you to read this but hey it worked.

I have got an MY98 turbo

1] I wish I could afford a P1 [ don't we all]
2] Do I hang onto it or do I sell it ??

a] If sold how much for ?
b] Should I get an older WRX and pocket the difference.Will it bring more smiles.
c] Should I stop with Scoobies and get a Renault 172 Sport
Seat Leon 20v T
Peugeot Gti- 6
After all they are better cars !!

Calm down only joking

: : : :

Well it's make your mind up time, you may also help a friend of mine who will have approx 16k to spend soon who is in a similar quandry.

If you think the Scooby is better than those listed then put your keyboard where your mouth is otherwise you will have to accept that the Scooby has gone to the cult graveyard just like the Peugeot 205 GTi.
Old 26 May 2001, 05:44 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Just go to your local subaru dealer (if your car is standard) and say these magic words.
Prodrive performace pack please
You already have the best car out of the lot so why even contemplate change, the 306 gti is a great car but no match for a scoob (owned 2) sod the renault clio 172, torque steer from hell (none on my MY00 seat leon..
its just another hot hatch and not in the same class.

Tony
Old 26 May 2001, 05:48 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Agreed.

I'm yet to drive a french car that has pleased me and the Seat won't be worth dick in a year or so.
Old 26 May 2001, 06:06 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Why go ppp when the car is out of (or soon will be) warranty, why not go for programmable eco setup an d with the mony you saved, what about another treat, exhaust, suspension......... (you get the picture)

I will be keeping the scoob for a while longer than I had planned.

Andy
Old 26 May 2001, 07:27 PM
Cambelt
Scooby Regular

Some early reasonable feedback -- Thanks Tony jack and Andy.
But where is the venom, I nearly considered the options recently I need convincing, to date on replies I am not

Let's compare the cars with some real honest replies.
Old 27 May 2001, 12:25 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ok, here is my unbaist opinion
Ive owned 2 306 gti-6's, a phase 1 and a phase 2, have never driven a clio 172 or the seat leon but both have good write ups but i have owned a renault 19 16v from new and that was an excellent drive.
The Pug thou, the difference between the phase one and 2 was noticable, the phase 2 was a better drive and felt gutsier, performance wise.... i kept up with a saab 2.3t, that has 210bhp... it is a quick car and handles well but also suffers from torque steer in the wet
The clio.. i saw drivel, ooops, sorry driven when they did their test of hot hatches, this car squirmed all over the place in the dry when they were doing standing starts....
It will be quick thou cos of the power to weigh ratio but some say it doesnt handle as good as the old clio williams but no doubt thats what clio williams drivers say
The seat.... looks funny but has 180bhp turbo charged engine, should be a scream but not much quicker than the normally asperated pug 306 gti-6, but it does come with all the goodies inc traction control! (still dont need that on me scoob )
But the one thing you will miss is the scoob, all these other cars will feel slow as they normally start to run out of steam at around 90-100mph, the scoob starts to pick up here!!
Also look at the insurance groups of these cars, they range from 16-17, same as your scoob, you may pay a little less but they still get targeted by the insurance co's.
Hope this helps

Tony
Old 27 May 2001, 01:39 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'll tell u after thursday if the PPP is worth it, warranty or not its the safest way to go on a scoob

Tony
Old 27 May 2001, 10:34 AM
Cambelt
Scooby Regular

Old 27 May 2001, 11:12 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

CULT GRAVEYARD!!!!!!!!

I sure as hell get a lot of admiring glances and compliaments for my scoob. Not the sort of thing you'd expect from a "has been" car.

People still respect it and like anything in life, people love to see the mighty fall, problem with the scoob is that it will NEVER fall and people don't like that.

The only people who think negative thoughts about scoobs i.e depreciation, warranty issues, insurance, running costs, looks, performance versus "x", etc, etc seem to be people who have never had one. I'd have thought you'd have known better

Seriously, scoobs are not everyones cup ov tea and just because it has transpired that you are not overly impressed with yours doesn't mean that you have to go on a quest to justify why you should change it. Hey it's a free country. You wanna change cars.....go ahead

But i guarantee that you will still talk about ya scoob in the pub and also be forever comparing the 172,seat and GTI-6 with it!

Hope this eases ya concience and don't forget, this is just my Sunday Morning opinion

Have fun in what ever you decide.

MIKEY
Old 27 May 2001, 11:25 AM
RobAnderson
Scooby Regular

I think there appears to be a, not unexpected, blinkered series of viewpoints here.
A friend has a Clio 172 and I reckon it's the best sorted hot-hatch I've driven-not to mention one of the quickest.Considering the power going through the front wheels,torque steer is not the issue you would expect it to be.There was a lot of guff written by the hacks about tail-end twitchiness but it appears the press cars were simply badly set-up geometry wise, I just found it very adjustable and actually more forgiving on the limit than the 306GTI(another friend has one of these)which has for some time now been regarded as the paragon of hot-hatch handling but is getting a bit long in the tooth now(while it is still an excellent drive).
I would certainly not dismiss the clio out of hand and on a windy B-road it would not be far behind a standard scoob at all.
Given the choice new, I'd still,(probably just), plump for an Impreza but as regards 2nd hand,in the 16k bracket, Imprezas are so ubiquitous these days the clio is at least a bit more individual and of course it is significantly cheaper(whether you can still get hold of one is a different matter-they were always pretty thin on the ground,especially up North and now they've announced that they are ceasing production and the new one is on its way,I'm not sure.How this affects residuals remains to be seen).

I can't comment on the Leon as I've never driven one.

Hopefully this provides a bit more of a balanced perspective.
Old 27 May 2001, 01:03 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Cambelt/
Whats the matter getting pissed off. I went through all of this only a few weeks ago. I will have to pop up to give to another ride in the Scoob just to put you back on line. Just keep buying me the beer
Old 27 May 2001, 07:53 PM
Cambelt
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hello again one and all oh yes and you Bob !!
I love the Scooby to bits, I am playing devils advocate to some degree, mainly in favour of convincing a mate to definately go for the Scoob and not the others !!
I will admit I was tempted to go down the STi
route and pocket some cash [ an older one of course -- having recently seen a 93 version in as good if not better condition than mine],none of you have commented on this and I wish you would.
I have enjoyed the discussion so far, and I must say I do like the Clio Sport but when you see them on the road they are always behind. : :
No in all honesty I enjoy lots of cars, I guess like the rest of you i do not want to loose too much money too quickly, but I am still hoping the Scooby is up there with the best on residuals.
So just how good is the WRX, where are all you WRX owners at least pipe up and say something [ Please].
Thanks to those of you who have joined in so far and Bob !! [ I am still jealous of your P1]

Cambelt
Old 27 May 2001, 11:06 PM
Cambelt
Scooby Regular

Old 28 May 2001, 11:30 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Cambelt,ignore everybody and listen to me!!I haave an STi4 and love it to bits.However if I were you d'ont go through the hassle of changing cars it always costs twice as much as you think.Have a Link put on the car and you will easily outrun eariler WRX's,it will also cost less than the PPP.(IMHO)
Old 28 May 2001, 06:17 PM
Cambelt
Scooby Regular

Wink