Sponsored by:

Boost Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2006, 11:21 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boost Solenoid

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does one do ??
I was thinking of gettin my 2003 STi PPP booked in with Bob Rawle for a remap and noticed on his site that he lists having 2 or 3 port solenoids fitted, would it be a good idea to have one fitted at the same time as the remap ??
Old 01 June 2006, 11:38 AM
Rajaman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, go for a 3 port as a 3 port boost solenoid allows for more precise boost controll
Old 01 June 2006, 12:26 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
I was thinking of gettin my 2003 STi PPP booked in with Bob Rawle for a remap and noticed on his site that he lists having 2 or 3 port solenoids fitted, would it be a good idea to have one fitted at the same time as the remap ??
Ask Bob mate, he'll know best. They do allow better boost control, but aren't always necessary depending on your mods.

The person who has to map your car is always the best person to ask.

Ns04
Old 01 June 2006, 12:57 PM
haroldhettaturbo
Scooby Regular

hi all

when i driving at a steady 30 or 40 i can feel the car pulsing. As if im press the throttle on and off.

A user on here advised it that it could be a dodgy boost solaniod.

Were would i purchase a new 1 and would there be any benifit in getting an uprated 1.

its 1999 classic.

Thanks
Dave
Old 01 June 2006, 02:02 PM
struv
Scooby Regular

good question harrythehat as my my99 does exactly the same seems to be worse when cold and gradualy gets better when it warms up
Old 01 June 2006, 03:49 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by haroldhettaturbo
hi all

when i driving at a steady 30 or 40 i can feel the car pulsing. As if im press the throttle on and off.

Were would i purchase a new 1 and would there be any benifit in getting an uprated 1.

its 1999 classic.

Thanks
Dave
You can get a 3 port for about £40 at the breakers, but it WILL NOT work on a std My99 map, you need the car re-mapped straight after you install it. So its only a worthile upgrade if you were getting the car remapped, even then you might not need it.

Be aware that most if not all scoobies are a bit lumpy when cold, if it dissapears after a few minutes it won't be your boost solenoid AFAIA

Ns04
Old 01 June 2006, 08:47 PM
struv
Scooby Regular

cheers ns04 i was told last time i asked that my99 cars did this from new (i cant imagine someone who had just bought a new one not complaining about it tho ) but it is a minor niggle (compared to how much fuel it can consume)but thats life you cant have your cake and eat it can you ?? and i wouldnt swap it for anything
Old 01 June 2006, 10:19 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
First off, all scoobs have boost solonoids fitted - as they are what is used by the ECU to control maximum boost.

Put simply, you have a mechanical wastegate actuator on the turbo to limit maximum boost which opens at roughly 5psi. However, if you open a valve (i.e the boost solonoid) to vent off the pressure that feeds the wastegate actuator, you can make the wastegate stay shut until a higher pressure is reached.

Pulsing the solonoid valve open and shut by varying amounts allows for different pressure to be attained and regulated, and thus accurate control of maximum boost pressure. (and thus the ticking/tapping noise so many subaru owners complain about).

3 port and 2 ports do the same thing. Just 3 ports does allow for more precise control of boost, if the the need is "really" nessercery. Bob will advise
Old 02 June 2006, 02:06 AM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by haroldhettaturbo
hi all

its 1999 classic.

Thanks
Dave
All you need to do is clean it out mate, do a search on here. Its only a quick job and basically consists of un bolting the solenoid, pulling the pipes off and a few other associated pipes around the engine bay, connecting the green (think its green - cant remember - its late) connectors under the dash and switching the ignition on, the solenoid will start clicking and the rad fans will start and stop, blow some brake cleaner or WD40 through the solenoid a few times and do the associated pipes too use a rag to stop the excess cleaner making a mess, turn ignition off connect it all back up again etc... Do an ECU reset and take the car for a spin. Sure I remember reading somewhere that taking the car to high revs in 1st gear gets crap in the solenoid?
Do a search for more detailed instructions you will prob find some pics too
Old 02 June 2006, 08:13 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ALi-B
First off, all scoobs have boost solonoids fitted - as they are what is used by the ECU to control maximum boost.

Put simply, you have a mechanical wastegate actuator on the turbo to limit maximum boost which opens at roughly 5psi. However, if you open a valve (i.e the boost solonoid) to vent off the pressure that feeds the wastegate actuator, you can make the wastegate stay shut until a higher pressure is reached.

Pulsing the solonoid valve open and shut by varying amounts allows for different pressure to be attained and regulated, and thus accurate control of maximum boost pressure. (and thus the ticking/tapping noise so many subaru owners complain about).

3 port and 2 ports do the same thing. Just 3 ports does allow for more precise control of boost, if the the need is "really" nessercery. Bob will advise
Cheers Ali i knew someone would give me the answer, i emailed Bob yesterday but he's a busy lad so i'll get a reply soon.
Old 06 June 2006, 10:24 PM
haroldhettaturbo
Scooby Regular

cheers ayde