Sponsored by:

BMW Z4M 06

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2006, 04:59 PM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW Z4M 06

****If you have a problem with racing or keeping up please do not post below. Only information on the questions asked please*****

Howdy,
I fitted my new ECU (funnily enough it's a Z4) this morning to my94 WRX. Took it out for a spin and came up behind a gleaming 06 BMW Z4 with the M badge. He immediately stuck his foot down and the thing just fish-tailed, not gaining any ground on me at all. So i followed him and he didn't look too happy, then eventually turned off looking fairly sheepish.
Has anyone test drove one of these ? Do they handle that badly under power ? Anyone know the power these things are meant to put down ? As far as i remember on Top Gear it was faster round their track than a 911.
Old 31 May 2006, 05:19 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 94impreza
****If you have a problem with racing or keeping up please do not post below. Only information on the questions asked please*****

Howdy,
I fitted my new ECU (funnily enough it's a Z4) this morning to my94 WRX. Took it out for a spin and came up behind a gleaming 06 BMW Z4 with the M badge. He immediately stuck his foot down and the thing just fish-tailed, not gaining any ground on me at all. So i followed him and he didn't look too happy, then eventually turned off looking fairly sheepish.
Has anyone test drove one of these ? Do they handle that badly under power ? Anyone know the power these things are meant to put down ? As far as i remember on Top Gear it was faster round their track than a 911.
Not sure myself m8 try www.letstorquebhp.com. Welcome to the forum.
Old 31 May 2006, 05:35 PM
John57
Scooby Regular

I followed one when they had been out a week or so accelerating onto the A3 (NSL road) when in my TVR Griffith ...... and it certainly went quite well !

It was obviously very new and presumably very tight but it was not slow at all. He kept going at 70 whereas I just got to the limit and let him go. I kept with him without problem - but I would have disappointed if I hadn't !

It just seemed quick and stable - no drama at all from this one. The only thing I thought was that it looked very plain, nothing wrong in the performance department, just plain - when I suppose I expected it to look a bit meaner wearing an M badge with 4 exhaust pipes sticking out the back....
Old 31 May 2006, 06:36 PM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by John57
I followed one when they had been out a week or so accelerating onto the A3 (NSL road) when in my TVR Griffith ...... and it certainly went quite well !

It was obviously very new and presumably very tight but it was not slow at all. He kept going at 70 whereas I just got to the limit and let him go. I kept with him without problem - but I would have disappointed if I hadn't !

It just seemed quick and stable - no drama at all from this one. The only thing I thought was that it looked very plain, nothing wrong in the performance department, just plain - when I suppose I expected it to look a bit meaner wearing an M badge with 4 exhaust pipes sticking out the back....
Hmmm, the roads were dry so its not as if it slipped, just looked to me as if it had too much power for the tyres to take. It was probably the first time he'd opened it up since delivery and it looked like it scared the **** out of him. Still least he had the nerve to use it.
Old 31 May 2006, 06:53 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 94impreza
Hmmm, the roads were dry so its not as if it slipped, just looked to me as if it had too much power for the tyres to take. It was probably the first time he'd opened it up since delivery and it looked like it scared the **** out of him. Still least he had the nerve to use it.
If pulling of the mark he was most likely not fully off the clutch when he applied the power this creating the car to wheel spin. Drivers fault rather than the car as they do have a lot of grip especially with the size tyres fitted and even with traction control off it would have sufficant grip. But is really a mid range car so off the mark you would expect most subaru to pull away to begin with then the BMW would have the advantage, plus the car is not fully run in yet so very tight.
Old 31 May 2006, 07:19 PM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

It wasn't off the mark he was doing at least 20mph before he clocked me in the rear view mirror. I backed off a little otherwise i would have gone into the back of him.
Old 31 May 2006, 10:17 PM
Frazer
Scooby Regular

a Z4M would rip a WRX a fresh one, **** even a 3.0 Z4 would stay glued to a WRX's hoop and pass it eventually.