Sponsored by:

North west Scotland fuel options

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2006, 11:54 AM
pete1976
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default North west Scotland fuel options

I'm off up to Scotland for a long weekend touring up to the north west bits. Only problem is, I only seem to be able to get Optimax at Inverness and on the pass through Glasgow and Edinburgh. So, has anyone got any suggestions of suitable alternatives in places such as Oban, Fort William, Ullapool.......?

I'm driving a standard MY2005 WRX.

Thanks.
Old 31 May 2006, 12:09 PM
badgersport
Scooby Regular

How about taking some octane booster with you.
Old 31 May 2006, 12:24 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

That's weird. I checked the Shell site and there's loadsa garages missing off there, that sell Optimax. (If that's any concellation for you?!)
Old 31 May 2006, 12:30 PM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

You can get Optimax in Stirling and at Doune on the A84. Beyond that I'm not sure, although it may be available in Oban. Fort William is I'm sure SUL free, and Ullapool is too
Old 31 May 2006, 12:43 PM
Scooby Regular

I think you can get BP Ultimate at Fort William now, although you definitely need to take a few bottles of octane booster.
Old 31 May 2006, 01:05 PM
pete1976
Scooby Regular

Sounds like I might need some booster (although will probably only need one non-optimax fill-up). Any recommendations? Preferably something I can pick up very easily and for not too much money!
Old 31 May 2006, 01:27 PM
JohnS

If you just have a standard WRX, then just fill up with normal SUL for one tankful. The car will run quite happily on this fuel (OK you'll lose a few bhp), but it will recognise the higher octane fuel the next time you put it in.

I've got an STi, and have spent whole weeks up in the area without any major problems. With a bit of planning, most day trips can be done without needing more fuel, and it's only when you are spending a few days doing a fair bit of driving that you'll need to worry about fuel. In some places, you can be 50+ miles from the nearest petrol station seling any type of fuel, and remember that some of the more remote stations may be closed early on a Sunday.

John

Trending Topics

Old 31 May 2006, 02:48 PM
bugsti
Scooby Regular

Shell super unleaded is available in Ullapool.

And thats it NW of Inverness (where you can get Optimax at Raigmore filling station).
Old 31 May 2006, 02:54 PM
abc
Scooby Regular

Default PPPd WRX

Originally Posted by JohnS
If you just have a standard WRX, then just fill up with normal SUL for one tankful.
I'm heading in the same direction soon, but in a PPPd WRX that needs 98 RON...

So, is octane booster adequate for the engine and if so, what do you guys recommend? What do you Scotsmen do for fuel up in the wilds?

Excuse my ignorance and thanks in advance.

A
Old 31 May 2006, 03:14 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matchmaker
You can get Optimax in Stirling and at Doune on the A84. Beyond that I'm not sure, although it may be available in Oban. Fort William is I'm sure SUL free, and Ullapool is too
lOOks like i'm taking the vRS for our highland tour then. I'd never even given it a second thought.

I'll try and stay in front of you matchmaker.
Old 31 May 2006, 03:24 PM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
lOOks like i'm taking the vRS for our highland tour then. I'd never even given it a second thought.

I'll try and stay in front of you matchmaker.
A pleasure to follow you - watch the deer on Rannoch Moor
Old 31 May 2006, 03:35 PM
pete1976
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugsti
Shell super unleaded is available in Ullapool.

And thats it NW of Inverness (where you can get Optimax at Raigmore filling station).
"Shell super unleaded"?!? Is that not optimax?? According to the Shell website there's no Shell stations anywhere near Ullapool!?
Old 31 May 2006, 03:44 PM
bugsti
Scooby Regular

There is definately a shell garage in Ullapool. I should know because I belong to the north west.

Also, the pump says super unleaded 97 octane (not optimax).

Have filled up there loads of times (STI PPP) and there is nowhere else further north until you get round to Thurso. I usually refill at Inverness before coming home if I am south.

98 octane is available at Gleaner garage in Muir of Ord and Dingwall too.
Old 31 May 2006, 03:47 PM
JohnS

It really isn't that much of an issue. SUL is available in Fort William (used to be Esso), and also Shell SUL in Ullapool. SUL is also available from Contin which is about 12 miles north of Inverness on the way to the West Coast.

Using either of these, you can easily complete a coastal round trip from point to point, event going at a "reasonable" pace

Unless you have a Jap Spec STi, or a car that's been mapped for 98+RON fuel, then it isn't an issue. You'll be having so much fun driving the roads and enjoying the scenery, you won't miss a few bhp by running on normal unleaded.

When I took my STi for a week's holiday up there, I filled up with enough NUL at times to last me until I next got to a SUL petrol station, and I always had a bottle of Octane Booster ready if I needed it.

Just take the WRX and enjoy the roads and freedom from speed cameras etc. Take particular care on the A9 around Inverness though - there's always a high police presence for good reason - plenty of accidents caused by overseas tourists.

John
Old 31 May 2006, 03:50 PM
pete1976
Scooby Regular

It really isn't that much of an issue. SUL is available in Fort William (used to be Esso), and also Shell SUL in Ullapool. SUL is also available from Contin which is about 12 miles north of Inverness on the way to the West Coast.

Using either of these, you can easily complete a coastal round trip from point to point, event going at a "reasonable" pace

Unless you have a Jap Spec STi, or a car that's been mapped for 98+RON fuel, then it isn't an issue. You'll be having so much fun driving the roads and enjoying the scenery, you won't miss a few bhp by running on normal unleaded.

When I took my STi for a week's holiday up there, I filled up with enough NUL at times to last me until I next got to a SUL petrol station, and I always had a bottle of Octane Booster ready if I needed it.

Just take the WRX and enjoy the roads and freedom from speed cameras etc. Take particular care on the A9 around Inverness though - there's always a high police presence for good reason - plenty of accidents caused by overseas tourists.

John

Thanks for the tips folks. Really looking forward to getting up that way again, haven't been there for some time and haven't been there with a scobby before!
Old 31 May 2006, 03:50 PM
bugsti
Scooby Regular

John

Unfortunately, the Contin garage does not stock SUL anymore - since changing from Shell to Gleaner.
Old 01 June 2006, 01:19 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matchmaker
A pleasure to follow you - watch the deer on Rannoch Moor
Sorry, i read your details wrong, i thought it says "in front of a vRS." So i was teasing. Oh well.
Old 01 June 2006, 02:36 PM
Ennoch
Scooby Regular

Contin doesn't have SUL.
Fort William does have SUL/Optimax
Ullapool does have SUL/Optimax.
Inverness has SUL/Optimax and now Ultimate if I remember rightly.

I don't know which way you are heading up to ullapool. if you are going through the great glen then fill up in Fort William with Opti and then again in Inverness. Basically fill up whenever you can as it gets more expensive the further you go! Std petrol is 107.9 in Durness and 102.9 in Ullapool.
If you are going up via torridon, you will likely need to fill up with fuel in achnasheen or Laide as the roads are great but eat the fuel. Unfortunately neither of these has SUL of any kind. Just put enough in to get you to Ullapool.

Up from Ullapool you have Scourie and then Durness aout 30 miles north of there. Round from there is Tongue but again, nothing that does SUL between Ullapool and Thurso.

As someone else said, take care around the aviemore/inverness areas for Police...especially on the long straights!

The other way, if you are heading from fort william up via torridon to ullapool is pretty free of any police activity but be eagle eyed on the long straight just before achnasheen. I only really max it along there early morning when they are still in bed. it is a hotspot for motorbikers speed testing. Also, be careful hitting the 30's and 40's. There are usually a fair few animals about here and occasionally a speed camera in ullapool which got half the population the first time they did it!
Old 01 June 2006, 06:00 PM
CaptainJohn
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a look here:

http://www.petrolprices.com/

Sign up for free and then search the area you are visiting by fuel type and the map will show you where the stations are and the prices in the area. You are allowed 20 searchs a week free. I find it useful when planning routes around the UK.
Old 01 June 2006, 06:50 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

If your car is a UK standard WRX why is optimax needed.
Put normal unleaded in, i'm sure it wont kill your car.
Ran mine on Tesco regular for 12 months with no prob at all.
Nik

Originally Posted by pete1976
I'm off up to Scotland for a long weekend touring up to the north west bits. Only problem is, I only seem to be able to get Optimax at Inverness and on the pass through Glasgow and Edinburgh. So, has anyone got any suggestions of suitable alternatives in places such as Oban, Fort William, Ullapool.......?

I'm driving a standard MY2005 WRX.

Thanks.
Old 01 June 2006, 07:22 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About a year ago the last Optimax was in Nairn but since then the Shell in Inverness is re-opened.
South from Oban the first Optimax was near Glasgow.
We drove round the North Cape via Wick, J'O'g etc to Ullapool and looked into many of the nukes and crannies.
Your car will run ok on 95 RON if you keep off the right pedal. Try and run with little or no boost. No big deal. Take in the sceenery.
Yes, add octane booster, NF is my choice.
Old 01 June 2006, 08:28 PM
struv
Scooby Regular

what you will realy need is midgy spray cos ullapool and the areas around there are wick with the little feckas last year we were there and on the first nite our lass counted 50 bites on me head and the rest of me was bitten to bits as well. we stopped at a lovely looking loch in the highlands (i had me window open )and within 10 seconds the inside of the car was full of em i had to accelerate up to about 80mph before the car cleared (had no problems with fuel tho was in her indoors,s porsche) we are going to port patrick in a couple of weeks in the scoob tho (just for the seafood mmm lovely)
Old 01 June 2006, 08:37 PM
Ennoch
Scooby Regular

For good seafood up the west coast there used to be the drumbeg hotel but the french owner/chef ran away with a polish waitress. If you are up as far as tarbet (between Scourie and Laxford Bridge), there is a fantastic seafood restaurant. it is literally ran out of their conservatory but the seafood is so fresh it tastes delightful. Really recommended.

The midges seem to be migrating south now, they never really bothered me much in the past and even less so now. Last summer I was up there walking and a few other things and could stand around with the flying everywhere and got very few bites.
Old 01 June 2006, 08:41 PM
struv
Scooby Regular

i allways get bitten off anything thats about (why i stopped fishing)thanks for the tips on the seafood ill check the map and our plans
Old 01 June 2006, 10:00 PM
Ennoch
Scooby Regular

If you are into wildlife too then there are the Laxford Cruises. I don't have any details to hand but the hotels and shops in the area usually have leaflets. Basically you get taken out by a fisherman in his boat after he comes home and has had his dinner! His knowledge of the coastline and animals is fantastic and gives a great experience. If you don't mind a bit of walking then there are trips from the previously mentioned Tarbet out to Handa Island. it's a Scottish National Trust owned place and a Nature reserve. About a 5 mile walk around the island gives great views of the cliffs to the north of the island and all the arctic terns, gannets etc. Brilliant! if you want any other pointers, give me a message!
Old 01 June 2006, 10:06 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

has anyone got a good optimax POI because the ones from pocket gps are poor. I pass stations that are not on it but when i follow the ones that should be there sometimes they are not.