Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard my05 STi's performance is very poor

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2006, 01:30 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard my05 STi's performance is disappointing

I've just bought a standard my05 STi (non PPP) and I can't believe how poor the performance of the car is. The thing seems to produce all it's power between 4250 and 5250 which makes it unsuitable for anything other than pottering around town and 80mph motorway driving (as long as you're in the right gear and not waiting for the turbo to spool up).

What type of power band does the PPP have?

Last edited by 365; 25 May 2006 at 04:27 PM.
Old 25 May 2006, 03:02 PM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

I had an MY03 Sti Non PPP and really notice how poor it was now I have a PPP'd Sti. Used to think it was very quick.

Not sure on the power band of MY05 as mine is an MY06 but I believe it totally transforms it.
Old 25 May 2006, 03:08 PM
pete1976
Scooby Regular

See here: http://www.prodrive.co.uk/defaultflash.asp?M=5
Old 25 May 2006, 03:18 PM
SivMY05Sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 365
I've just bought a standard my05 STi (non PPP) and I can't believe how poor the performance of the car is. The thing seems to produce all it's power between 4250 and 5250 which makes it unsuitable for anything other than pottering around town and 80mph motorway driving (as long as you're in the right gear and not waiting for the turbo to spool up).

What type of power band does the PPP have?

Not wanting to sound obvious but did'nt you have a test drive ?
Old 25 May 2006, 03:23 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SivMY05Sti
Not wanting to sound obvious but did'nt you have a test drive ?
No I bought it blind over the phone so that someone didn't beat me to it I've owned an my03 STi with TSL 333 kit in the past and I didn't realise that the difference would be so great.
Old 25 May 2006, 03:25 PM
New_scooby_04

I've always wondered about this:

I drove an My03 STi (so should be very similar) and that thing went like a barsteward!! Yes, It didnt get interested till a bit later than the WRX but from there it took off like a scalded cat and pulled to the red line with real conviction. Obviously it would be better with PPP or a third party exhaust/remapping, but I can't see how anyone could call the performance very poor.

Edit- just seen a subsequent post. Yes, it would seem notably inferior to a 333, but it's still hardly very poor....come on.....

Ns04
Old 25 May 2006, 03:25 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neil W
I had an MY03 Sti Non PPP and really notice how poor it was now I have a PPP'd Sti. Used to think it was very quick.

Not sure on the power band of MY05 as mine is an MY06 but I believe it totally transforms it.
I should get down to a dealers really and take a test drive in a PPP'd car although the 2.5 will probably be a lot more torquey.
Old 25 May 2006, 03:28 PM
SivMY05Sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 365
No I bought it blind over the phone so that someone didn't beat me to it I've owned an my03 STi with TSL 333 kit in the past and I didn't realise that the difference would be so great.

Ahhhhhhh.....I reckon the problem lies with the TSL333 then...... never go backwards on power, its gonna always feel crap !!

As for the PPP - it still scares me stupid , and it seems to be able to pootle around due to the better torque......
Old 25 May 2006, 03:30 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I've always wondered about this:

I drove an My03 STi (so should be very similar) and that thing went like a barsteward!! Yes, It didnt get interested till a bit later than the WRX but from there it took off like a scalded cat and pulled to the red line with real conviction. Obviously it would be better with PPP or a third party exhaust/remapping, but I can't see how anyone could call the performance very poor.

Edit- just seen a subsequent post. Yes, it would seem notably inferior to a 333, but it's still hardly very poor....come on.....

Ns04
I've just come from a Lancer FQ340 so obviously the difference is more noticable and I could (maybe) live with the fact that it only really pulls from 4250. The thing that I find really disappointing is that it runs out of breath so quickly, it will pull to 7000+ if you want it to but the you can feel that power's gone at between 5250-5500. If you're happy with an STi take a test drive in a mapped car, you'll be BLOWN away.

Last edited by 365; 25 May 2006 at 03:35 PM.
Old 25 May 2006, 03:34 PM
Scooby Regular

Ahhhhhhh.....I reckon the problem lies with the TSL333 then...... never go backwards on power, its gonna always feel crap !!
I knew there would be a difference but I can't believe how disappointing the standard car really is, they must have to really strangle it in order to get it to pass emission laws.

As for the PPP - it still scares me stupid , and it seems to be able to pootle around due to the better torque......
That's the dilemma I have at the moment, do I go PPP and keep the two years of warranty or do I go for an exhaust and remap. The TSL car was a far more driveable car.
Old 25 May 2006, 03:41 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I have a MY 05 STi PPP and I think it's very fast. Yes, it could do with more power, but as I want to keep my warranty, it will do.
I can't really say how it affected my car over standard, as PPP was put on at 1000 miles service, and I was still running it in, so never got to really make any comparisons.
All I would say, is that when standard (although running in) I wasn't that pleased with the power/torque, compared to my previous car (Focus RS, Bluefin'd).
Even picking it up after PPP was put on I was VERY disapointed as I could feel no major leap in performance. It was only when the car had about 2500-3000 miles on it, that it really started to loosen up, and then it just got quicker and quicker. Now it goes like the clappers !!!!!!

I don't think I would buy a standard STi, and the only reason I bought mine was that the PPP was free.
Old 25 May 2006, 03:50 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04

Ns04
You're right, perhaps I should have chosen my words better, compared to a lot of cars it's a rocket ship but coming from two cars that really did feel like true performance cars, this is not in the same league and what disappointed me most is that the difference is so huge.

Originally Posted by stilover
I don't think I would buy a standard STi, and the only reason I bought mine was that the PPP was free.
The first owner of this car went for the three years free servicing which seems like a strange choice
Old 25 May 2006, 03:52 PM
SivMY05Sti
Scooby Regular

The first owner of this car went for the three years free servicing which seems like a strange choice [/quote]

Pmsl - Must have been the only one that did that then............

Err let me think - 300bhp or the oil changed..........toughie eh !!
Old 25 May 2006, 03:55 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

so you went from 2 cars with~ 340bhp to one with 265bhp bound to be slower!
martin
Old 25 May 2006, 03:58 PM
Scooby Regular

The first owner of this car went for the three years free servicing which seems like a strange choice

Pmsl - Must have been the only one that did that then............

Err let me think - 300bhp or the oil changed..........toughie eh !!
Can't believe it can you.

I bought it blind from a Mitsubishi dealership and I was sure they just didn't realise they had a PPP on their hands and I didn't want to push it in case they suddenly twigged and put the price up but yep, he'd gone for the servicing instead. Crazy thing is he p/x'ed the car for an Evo IX FQ320 and who knows, maybe it's because he was disappointed with the STi, he's no doubt telling all his mates how the FQ is a far superior car to the STi.
Old 25 May 2006, 04:02 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p1doc
so you went from 2 cars with~ 340bhp to one with 265bhp bound to be slower!
martin
I agree but the difference is massive and that's what's disappointing, like I say the biggest disappointment is how quickly it runs out of steam.
Old 25 May 2006, 05:05 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 365
I've just come from a Lancer FQ340 so obviously the difference is more noticable and I could (maybe) live with the fact that it only really pulls from 4250. The thing that I find really disappointing is that it runs out of breath so quickly, it will pull to 7000+ if you want it to but the you can feel that power's gone at between 5250-5500. If you're happy with an STi take a test drive in a mapped car, you'll be BLOWN away.
Interesting thread this. I've just bought a 2003 STI (totally standard) having previously owned a Celica GT-Four (running around 270bhp, similar weight)and find exactly the same thing - a very narrow power band. The 6-speed box helps to some extent, but after the initial shove, it feels very breathless once you reach 5500rpm. Anyone here gone from a standard STI to a TSL 333? If so, does it pull more cleanly through the top end??
Cheers, Andrew
Old 25 May 2006, 06:09 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lunar tick
Anyone here gone from a standard STI to a TSL 333? If so, does it pull more cleanly through the top end??
Cheers, Andrew
I've gone the other way, had a TSL 333 and gone to a standard STi and the difference is night and day. It's like you say, if you work the box hard then you can keep the standard car buzzing and only experience the fact that it runs out of breath early. With the TSL you can be a lot more lazy because the power comes in at around 3-3500 and it then pulls strong right through to 6250-6500. If you get the car on the lanes - and you've got some real classics in Cumbria - it's a lot more punchy coming out of corners and very easy to keep buzzing. I also had the Prodrive springs on mine and the geometry altered to make the car more neutral and as an everyday package I think it would take some beating.

Last edited by 365; 25 May 2006 at 06:12 PM.
Old 25 May 2006, 06:20 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Thanks - you've answered my question perfectly Once I get the suspension sorted out (probably going for AST shocks and compliant road springs, plus ALK, uprated anti-roll bar and geometry set up) I'll almost certainly go for the TSL package. BTW, can I ask how nosiy the exhaust was on the TSL 333? This car is my daily driver and while I'd welcome a bit more of a rasp and burble when I boot it, I don't want a load of booming and droning while cruising (sad old git I am!)
Old 25 May 2006, 06:36 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lunar tick
Thanks - you've answered my question perfectly Once I get the suspension sorted out (probably going for AST shocks and compliant road springs, plus ALK, uprated anti-roll bar and geometry set up) I'll almost certainly go for the TSL package. BTW, can I ask how nosiy the exhaust was on the TSL 333? This car is my daily driver and while I'd welcome a bit more of a rasp and burble when I boot it, I don't want a load of booming and droning while cruising (sad old git I am!)
The best way to describe the noise is to say that it wasn't offensively loud, only problem is you end up where you'd rather listen to the exhaust than the stereo

If you're in Cumbria, I'd also consider giving Prosport at Stockport a call. Peter and the team down there have a great set-up and are very clued up and helpful.
Old 25 May 2006, 06:39 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Thanks - will do!
Old 25 May 2006, 07:31 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

I hear you 365 even though I'd love an STI. I've got a standard UK 52 plate WRX and took a standard STI out for a test drive last year and I have to say I was disappointed with the power. Yes it was faster than my WRX but I just expected more. I've also drove an STI with PPP since and that was very good compaired to the standard STI.

If you don't mind me asking, why go from an FQ340 to a standard STI?

I'll swap you my WRX if you want .

Wolfie.
Old 25 May 2006, 07:59 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wolfie28
If you don't mind me asking, why go from an FQ340 to a standard STI?

Wolfie.
For two reasons, firstly I'd had a STi with TSL333 kit before it and performance wise both cars were very similar but I didn't like the handling of the Lancer when compared to my STi which had the Prodrive spring kit and other geometry adjustments. There wasn't a lot in them truth told and in many ways I preferred the Lancer but the clincher for me was the poor build quality coupled to poor quality service from Colt Car Company and Browns Mitsubishi at Preston.

My FQ had done 18,000 miles and I was the second owner, both of us are in our late thirties and the car hadn't been abused but three weeks after buying it the clutch started slipping and the dealer and CCC wouldn't consider a warranty claim. When the clutch was replaced the garage found out it had already been replaced before so two clutches in 18,000 miles. The brakes were binding on the n/s front and they said it was down to poor maintenance which is rich considering it was being serviced at less than 4000 mile intervals, there were also other things like seat covers coming away from the frames, paint coming off the front grille because it wasn't keyed etc.. this car had cost £36000 when new and I expected more from the dealer and CCC but quickly realised that CCC are only in it for the money, after sales comes way down the order.

I'd always wanted a white type UK STi but they were like hens teeth so I was looking for a Evo IX FQ340 (my old one was an VIII) but ended up finding a white Type UK STi with one owner, 8000 miles DCCD etc.. for reasonable money and snatched their hand off. I'm now deciding whether to void the warranty and have an exhaust and remap etc.. or go with the PPP and lose some the advantages of a bespoke remap but keep the two years peace of mind.

Originally Posted by wolfie28
I had a drive of a mapped 06 2.5 WRX at Prosport yesterday and you don't need a swap, it was a better car than the STi, more comfortable, smoother and just generally more refined, I was quite impressed but the thing is I'm in the middle of my mid-life crisis and I'm not looking for refined just yet
Old 25 May 2006, 09:20 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

i went from a 02 wrx to a 03 sti and the power difference is extremely noticeable. on the test drive (sti) i thought the car could have had ppp but it didnt and the difference is awesome. ive had the car about a month and i am soon getting used to the power and i am looking for more is this normal.
Old 25 May 2006, 09:38 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

Well, I thought there was a big difference between the 2.5Sti and WRX during some test drives recently - the WRX wasn't in the same league. So i bought the sti!

I've also spent a fair bit of time in 02/04 Sti's and the power band is certainly far narrower than in the 2.5.
Old 25 May 2006, 11:04 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leeroy
Well, I thought there was a big difference between the 2.5Sti and WRX during some test drives recently - the WRX wasn't in the same league. So i bought the sti!

I've also spent a fair bit of time in 02/04 Sti's and the power band is certainly far narrower than in the 2.5.
The WRX I drove had been mapped and was a sweet little car, far more softly sprung than the STi which made it more comfortable. I know it sounds like I'm always moaning but the standard STi is heavily sprung and that as well as the standard Bridgestones with rock hard sidewall just makes for a very harsh ride sometimes.

The 2.5 should pull like a train in comparison to the 2.0
Old 25 May 2006, 11:06 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STEVECHAPS
Thank **** for that.
Steve(Very disillusioned ex 03STi333 owner now with a 05STippp).
Well that's made me feel great! I'd just decided on the PPP and now I read this. Why are you disillusioned, I'd be interested to know.

I might be going back to an Evo before I know it at this rate
Old 26 May 2006, 01:17 AM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

I test drove STI and STI PPP and bought the PPP version. No comparison! The PPP kicks u in back from 2600ish RPM and howls like a banshee to rev cut out. It scrabbles for grip and makes u grin every time u go for spin. Standard STI is too restricted and my old MY01 WRX seemed as quick!
Old 26 May 2006, 11:57 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I've just had my STi mapped (with decat & headers etc), the difference is great.

It's much more driveable, the urgency to get on boost is more noticeable, not grabbing for gears to move forward and boost come on full at roughly 3,200, then goes like stink. The sound is amazing!!

I think you're due a trip down to TSL again then. Last thing you wanna do is go the PPP route and still not be happy, having spent the same money.
Old 27 May 2006, 04:12 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by 365
I agree but the difference is massive and that's what's disappointing, like I say the biggest disappointment is how quickly it runs out of steam.
sti map does run out of puff by 5500rpm tsl much higher up esp with chargecooler, evo does more power higher up rev range as well,a remap with standard exhaust would help a lot and keep warranty'ish
martin