Sponsored by:

Somthing fishy with Pipeline card??

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2006, 04:59 PM
Buster-WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pipeline card is a con???

I may be paranoid on this but bare with me....

I have just recieved the latest update for Pipeline card and was suprised by the complete lack of information relating to why it was set up in the first place.

Instead there is mention off offers coming in everyday for this that and the other and comparisons for insurance etc etc....

I may be a bit synical but now that this site hase 380,000 members is someone about to cash in on a lot of potential advertising and promotions cash??
If this is the case I am a little bit disapointed.
It also finished off with a nice push for "a bargin sat nav unit".

Not quite the 10% discount on stupidley priced fuel I was hoping for///

Is it just me who is thinking this???/

Last edited by Buster-WRX; 24 May 2006 at 05:26 PM.
Old 24 May 2006, 05:27 PM
saxperience
Scooby Regular

Could be, possibly,might be.......

But he's been on TV abou it.
Old 24 May 2006, 06:51 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I have just received my email. Agreed, sod all to do with the price of petrol.
Suppose he now has a nice little data base full of email addresses just ready for exploitation.
Thought it was too good to be true.
Nik
Old 24 May 2006, 07:07 PM
struv
Scooby Regular

lambs to the slaughter , if it sounds too good to be true it probably is ect ect!! i got home the other nite and this flyer thing had been posted through the door it was from thorntons chocolates. and if you filled in this market research thing they were doing and left it on your doorstep by nine the next day theye would give you a 125 grm bag of chocolates free!! when i looked at the questionare it was full off do you have double ****ing glazing. had i ever considerd buying a ****ing conservatory. would i be more inclined to buy a new house if it had a new kitchen or laminate ****ing flooring!! MARKET ****ING RESEARCH !!! and a 125grm bag of chocolates would have had about four in if i was lucky.it went in the bin the kids were upset.
Old 24 May 2006, 08:22 PM
redragon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by struv
lambs to the slaughter , if it sounds too good to be true it probably is ect ect!! i got home the other nite and this flyer thing had been posted through the door it was from thorntons chocolates. and if you filled in this market research thing they were doing and left it on your doorstep by nine the next day theye would give you a 125 grm bag of chocolates free!! when i looked at the questionare it was full off do you have double ****ing glazing. had i ever considerd buying a ****ing conservatory. would i be more inclined to buy a new house if it had a new kitchen or laminate ****ing flooring!! MARKET ****ING RESEARCH !!! and a 125grm bag of chocolates would have had about four in if i was lucky.it went in the bin the kids were upset.
crikey that thorntons bloke gets about quick was in nottingham the other night
Old 24 May 2006, 08:57 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

I think it's far too early to tell, I say give a chance.
Old 24 May 2006, 10:17 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

I believe the guy is genuinely trying to set something up, and one of the mags/tv shows did point out that a similar idea has worked in other parts of Europe - although the discounts were more typically in the region of 5% rather than 10%. They also suggested that there was no "done deal" with any of the fuel companys as yet, but obviously there is some bulk buying type bargaining power if 380,000 people have signed up. I think it will be a case of the guy spending some time trying to get a deal with various fuel companys, and ultimately manageing to get some discount, but I'd be amazed (but pleased) if the final deal comes out at 10% discount.

Of course, if it really takes off, everyone will want one, the fuel companies will just slap an extra 5p a litre on to cover the discount, and all that will happen is the price will go up for people without a card . . . .
Old 24 May 2006, 10:18 PM
Hepy
Scooby Regular

What do you expect. The guy who runs pipeline is an Evo owner.
Old 24 May 2006, 10:49 PM
Edward
Scooby Regular

The big discounts the pipeline card is mentioning are impossible, I've been involved in running a few petrol stations until recently. If you buy from the cheapest site in your area the total margin from refinery to pump is only a few pence per litre, this has to cover the costs of the petrol station and delivery.

At best the pipeline card will offer something like a few pence per litre discount off the national average price (if it ever happens), in most cases this will be more expensive than the cheapest site in an area.
Old 24 May 2006, 11:03 PM
chrisola
Scooby Regular

best marketing scam ever.
Old 25 May 2006, 12:07 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Thought it was genuine to start with but the guy is now seeing the opportunities his large motoring orientated database will provide.
Shame really.
Old 25 May 2006, 03:26 AM
saxperience
Scooby Regular

His name says it all..
Old 25 May 2006, 08:29 AM
Beefy
Scooby Regular

Location: Wagons rolllllll yippee kai ayyy ..errrr ...etc ..etc

I think its easy to be suspicious of something like this, but everything Ive seen and heard leads me to believe its a genuine attempt to try and make a "group buy" on fuel.

Bulk buying works for many things if you have enough people and deal with companies that are interested in doing a deal, my main concern is that none of the fuel companies will be bothered enough to do anything as they already make so much money as it is.

Still time will tell, and I would recommend everyone signs up for the card. The more signups there are, the better the chance of it happening. And lets face it, what has anyone got to lose.
Old 25 May 2006, 09:17 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by saxperience
His name says it all..
And he drives an Evo
Old 25 May 2006, 09:29 AM
Gregy
Scooby Regular

I thought exactly the same as you Buster.

A nice long email saying exactly nothing in relation to why (supposedly) the data base was set up, namely, group buying power to reduce the price of fuel.

It may be that he's pestered for updates and has to put something out, even if he hasnt got anything new to say. I have to agree that the last email was the wrong message to send out.
Old 25 May 2006, 09:38 AM
pete1976
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by struv
All you have to do with those is put down that you've already got double glazing, laminate floor, conservatory etc etc then voila, free chocolate!

I think the pipeline card scheme was set up with good intentions but I very much doubt we'll ever see significant fuel savings out of it due to the ultra thin profit margins on fuel. The oil companies are making billions but they're not making it from selling fuel on their forecourts.
Old 25 May 2006, 04:05 PM
Buster-WRX
Scooby Regular

Good to see I am not the only sceptical basteward here!!
I wait with baited breath...........................................: )