Sponsored by:

Grinding going into 1st

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2006, 01:56 PM
DarkStar66
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Grinding going into 1st

I've got a bugeyed WRX and for the last month or so I sometimes get a grinding vibration and noise going into 1st gear from neutral when stuck in traffic (ie, hot engine/gearbox).

The thing is that it's not that terrible that I feel I need to take it to a garage. More of an embarrasment when it makes the grinding noise. But I have noticed a burnt oil smell recently when I reverse with the window open. Does it sound like the gearbox oil need to be replaced?

I had it serviced by Xtreme (40000 mile) only a few months ago.

Marc
Old 24 May 2006, 02:09 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

check the fluid levels in the g box, also if this was changed find out what to. Do a search on gearbox oils on here and you should find a few posts about boxes crunching on different types of transmission oils
Old 24 May 2006, 06:48 PM
stair
Scooby Regular

I wander if it is the oil xtreme use, I had a very similar problem for a while after they did the transmission oil change. It is much better now but I still think the gear change is a bit sticky, especially going in to 1st

If I remember I will ask about it next time the car is in

Stair
Old 24 May 2006, 06:51 PM
jay knowles
Scooby Regular

Sounds like the clutch is on its way out,does it crunch into reverse as well
Old 24 May 2006, 08:40 PM
kgt
Scooby Regular

Ive just noticed a short grinding noise when dropping into 4th at relatively high revs. Never heard it before today. Doesnt happen in any other gear. My car is MY04 WRX with 12k on the clock. Any ideas ?
Old 24 May 2006, 08:52 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkStar66
I've got a bugeyed WRX and for the last month or so I sometimes get a grinding vibration and noise going into 1st gear from neutral when stuck in traffic (ie, hot engine/gearbox).

The thing is that it's not that terrible that I feel I need to take it to a garage. More of an embarrasment when it makes the grinding noise. But I have noticed a burnt oil smell recently when I reverse with the window open. Does it sound like the gearbox oil need to be replaced?

I had it serviced by Xtreme (40000 mile) only a few months ago.

Marc

Could be a number of causes.

First, try letting out the clutch in neutral then re-depressing just before engaging 1st. If this helps, it maybe the clutch is dragging for some reason, possibly by a leakdown in your clutch slave cylinder or master cylinder.

Could also be syncro problem

Genrally speaking, the old scooby boxes aren't the best for getting into first. It certainly is easier if you enage 2nd, and let upi the clutch BEFORE comming to a standstill. Then when stationary 1st should slot in quite easily with minimal of fuss (trick learnt from old antique 911s )

Smell is probably an oil leak somewhere. Most likely engine oil.
Old 26 May 2006, 10:40 AM
DarkStar66
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.

It's only when I go from neutral into 1st and then only at random intervals so it's hard to demo to Xtreme.

I'm guessing it's something to do with the synrco, I had the clutch/flywheel replaced under warrantee not that long ago. It doesn't crunch going into reverse but it has always been a bit reluctant to engage. I recon Subaru use tractor gearboxes. ;-)

Ali-B, thanks for the 'It's probably leaking engine oil' very re-assuring! I'll be checking the levels this weekend I think.

Trending Topics

Old 26 May 2006, 11:00 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

I think it is just a characteristic of the Impreza gearbox - mine has always been stiff to get into first from 2nd when slowing ( you basically have to wait for the car to almost stop, then it goes in fine ).

If it is a clutch problem, the burning smell could be the clutch overheating maybe ?