Sponsored by:

Warranty Renewal

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2006, 12:27 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Warranty Renewal

Just had my renewal for my car. Subaru want £900 for 1 year. As the car will be 5yrs in July. Is it worth it?? I think not.
Any views

Last edited by Lee247; 23 May 2006 at 12:35 AM.
Old 23 May 2006, 12:53 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I got mine through recently as the car was nearly 3 years old and it made interesting reading as it gave a very good idea of the risk. Some vehicles they just wouldn't touch for example and the money involved for others was amazing. Clearly at a certain age there must be a significant failure rate of some expensive bits.

I'd guess that, on average, you can expect your car to cost £900 per year in broken bits. My STi was going to cost me a guestimated £3k in worn out bits (brakes, shocks, tyres etc.) in the coming year as well. It really worries me when we see new owners come on here buying a car on a really tight budget that they don't take into account the potential costs. I sold my STi so someone out there is facing a £3k bill in the coming year no matter how they look at it. I hope they allowed for that when buying the car.
Old 23 May 2006, 08:33 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hedgehog
I hope they allowed for that when buying the car.
I hope you reduced the price by that amount to help see them through!?

You DID tell them it was knackered didn't you??

I don't expect my car to cost me £3k over the rest of its life!!

And in answer to the question ..... don't bother with the warranty and chance your arm!

Pete
Old 23 May 2006, 08:48 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Well, I've got a few weeks to think about it
It's only got 30k miles on it, so I would hope it wasn't going to croak just yet
Old 23 May 2006, 09:43 AM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

All the more reason to get rid of a car before it gets to the end of its manufacturers warranty.

Originally Posted by hedgehog
I got mine through recently as the car was nearly 3 years old and it made interesting reading as it gave a very good idea of the risk. Some vehicles they just wouldn't touch for example and the money involved for others was amazing. Clearly at a certain age there must be a significant failure rate of some expensive bits.

I'd guess that, on average, you can expect your car to cost £900 per year in broken bits. My STi was going to cost me a guestimated £3k in worn out bits (brakes, shocks, tyres etc.) in the coming year as well. It really worries me when we see new owners come on here buying a car on a really tight budget that they don't take into account the potential costs. I sold my STi so someone out there is facing a £3k bill in the coming year no matter how they look at it. I hope they allowed for that when buying the car.
Old 23 May 2006, 01:06 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

3k seems a lot for brakes, tyres and shockers
What have you been doing to require new shockers after 3 years ?

I'd guess that, on average, you can expect your car to cost £900 per year in broken bits. My STi was going to cost me a guestimated £3k in worn out bits (brakes, shocks, tyres etc.) in the coming year as well. It really worries me when we see new owners come on here buying a car on a really tight budget that they don't take into account the potential costs. I sold my STi so someone out there is facing a £3k bill in the coming year no matter how they look at it. I hope they allowed for that when buying the car.[/quote]