Sponsored by:

MY06 2.5 WRX engine harshness

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2006, 10:30 PM
sjp63
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY06 2.5 WRX engine harshness

Bit dissapointed with the first and second gear engine noise - its really harsh - a sort of GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, heavy vibration through the clutch pedal and gear stick you can hear it too. Dealer says no fault found but its not very pleasant. Third gear is an ok turbo whine and fourth is very smooth. Any one else experience this?
Only 1220 miles on the clock but been like it from new
Old 17 May 2006, 08:41 AM
johnnyg
Scooby Regular

This probably doesn't help, but.....

Only done 300 miles in mine..haven't noticed this..in fact I'm surprised at how smooth it is in all gears....it's actually quieter and more refined than the celica that it replaced.

Is there anyone near you with the same car that you can drive and compare the two ?? I am in nottingham if it helps.

Cheers.....
Old 17 May 2006, 08:44 AM
jonjo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sjp63
Bit dissapointed with the first and second gear engine noise - its really harsh - a sort of GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, heavy vibration through the clutch pedal and gear stick you can hear it too. Dealer says no fault found but its not very pleasant. Third gear is an ok turbo whine and fourth is very smooth. Any one else experience this?

drop it at the dealer and tell them to sort it...and ring you when its done....not before
Old 17 May 2006, 09:21 AM
Husaberk
Scooby Regular

MY06 demonstrator I drove was smooth and refined, sounds like your dealer isn't looking hard enough. It had a very similar amount of miles on it as well.
Old 17 May 2006, 10:12 AM
Boxerbhoy
Scooby Newbie

Hi mate,almost identical mileage on mine and it's surprised me how smooth and refined it actually is. get it back to the dealer!!!
Old 17 May 2006, 10:19 AM
sjp63
Scooby Regular

Thanks I will - also get them to lend me a demo so i can compare. I said to them that I didnt remember the demo car being as rough.

Interestingly it sounds alright for the first minute or so from cold then it sets in.

Last edited by sjp63; 17 May 2006 at 11:57 AM.
Old 17 May 2006, 01:36 PM
Benno2
Scooby Newbie

Sounds like I may be having a similar problem. When the cars warmed up I'm getting a GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, sound between 2-3000 revs but apart from that nothing. Not getting any vibration though, mentioned it at the 1000 mile service and they adjusted the exhaust heat shields as thought that may be it. It's still there so am going to get it back to dealer for them to have another look.

I'd be interested to know how you get on.
Old 17 May 2006, 01:44 PM
sjp63
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Benno2
Sounds like I may be having a similar problem. When the cars warmed up I'm getting a GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, sound between 2-3000 revs but apart from that nothing. Not getting any vibration though, mentioned it at the 1000 mile service and they adjusted the exhaust heat shields as thought that may be it. It's still there so am going to get it back to dealer for them to have another look.

I'd be interested to know how you get on.
No vibration through the metal clutch pedal as you change from first to second?
Old 17 May 2006, 04:05 PM
CaptainJohn
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mines smooth aswell , but just wait until you have the PPP fitted and then all you will hear is the lovely burble from the Prodrive exhaust , SORTED !!.
Old 17 May 2006, 04:14 PM
sjp63
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CaptainJohn
Mines smooth aswell , but just wait until you have the PPP fitted and then all you will hear is the lovely burble from the Prodrive exhaust , SORTED !!.
Thats what I'm hoping!
Old 17 May 2006, 05:04 PM
MickeyWRX
Scooby Regular

yeah my turbo makes a grrrrr until you hit the high revs MY05 WRX PPP
Old 17 May 2006, 08:32 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the reality of owning a "raw" fast car. What did you drive before? a VW Passat 2.0 litre?
Old 17 May 2006, 08:39 PM
sjp63
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluto22b
Welcome to the reality of owning a "raw" fast car. What did you drive before? a VW Passat 2.0 litre?

"raw fast car" - get a life!

Its my number 3 car that I use for going to Tesco's. The others I wouldnt park there. I bought it for a laugh. I like it but it isnt right and I want it to be.

Now dont be rude

Last edited by sjp63; 17 May 2006 at 08:59 PM.
Old 18 May 2006, 08:57 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

"raw fast car" - get a life!

Its my number 3 car that I use for going to Tesco's. The others I wouldnt park there. I bought it for a laugh. I like it but it isnt right and I want it to be.

Now dont be rude
Listen Sonny, or should that be "Newbie". I made a constructive statement, don't question it I also have 3 cars but I won't go into that on here. There is no need to try to boost your ego

Follow the advice
Old 18 May 2006, 09:01 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Listen Sonny, or should that be "Newbie". I made a constructive statement, don't question it I also have 3 cars but I won't go into that on here. There is no need to try to boost your ego

Follow the advice
Come on Bluto go easy on him, he is only a newbie. Although he could have been a little more diplomatic but you now how p*ssed off one feels when the car is not right.
Old 18 May 2006, 10:10 PM
sjp63
Scooby Regular

Follow the advice
There was nothing constructive or intelligent about your post. It was rude and stupid just like your second one. I can see you are rattled - dont be, everyone makes Dicks of themselves now and again - this time it was your turn.
Its quality not quantity that counts, now get back in your box boy racer.

Old 18 May 2006, 10:41 PM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

Follow the advice
Constructive statement....you sound like a jumped up ar** ho** to me.

Re-read your own post - then learn some manners
Old 18 May 2006, 11:27 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

LOL... have you driven an MY06 WRX. I wouldn't call it raw by any stretch of the imagination. Campared to my two previous classics it is like driving a limo.

There should be no harshness, the power delivery is more like a BMW 330 than a jap rice box. I'd definately have a drive in another MY06 for comparison and then don't let the dealer fob you off. Since fitting the PPP to mine the power delivery is even smoother

Tony.
Old 19 May 2006, 10:46 AM
sjp63
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tone Loc
LOL... have you driven an MY06 WRX. I wouldn't call it raw by any stretch of the imagination. Campared to my two previous classics it is like driving a limo.

There should be no harshness, the power delivery is more like a BMW 330 than a jap rice box. I'd definately have a drive in another MY06 for comparison and then don't let the dealer fob you off. Since fitting the PPP to mine the power delivery is even smoother

Tony.
Thanks for rescueing my post - owe you one! The PPP was fitted yesterday and has masked the vibration to a certain extent. The third/forth/fifth is nice and smoth with nice turbo whine. However I was loaned a PPP saloon yesterday and it had no vibration in first/second.

I opened the bonnet on mine and listened while reving to about 4000rpm with no load. It sounded pretty rough like the top end or a timing chain rattle (presume it has a belt not chain?? but you know what I mean)

Will leave it a couple of weeks to see if it settles (optimist!) then take it back. It is spoiling my enjoyment and the loan car was very different.

thanks again both
Old 20 May 2006, 11:40 AM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by GrollySTI
Constructive statement....you sound like a jumped up ar** ho** to me.

Re-read your own post - then learn some manners
There is nothing wrong with my manners sonny. When I was your age I was taught how to behave in public I am old enough to be your father so show some respect
Old 23 May 2006, 01:00 PM
sjp63
Scooby Regular

I've found a more accurate description for the noise........I found myself driving an Alfa 147 JTD yesterday and thats exactly how my Impreza sounds - A Diesel!!

Seriously in first and second, (ie very light loads) as the engine spools up quickly under acceleration it sounds and feels (through the stick/clutch pedal) just like a diesel.
Old 23 May 2006, 01:16 PM
LiamWR1(2)
Scooby Regular

They do seem to make curious noises from time to time, my 04 either rattles, GGGRRRRSSSS, hisses, growns, clanks, bangs, wiiiizzzzeeeessss or pops (sometimes all at once)... strange cars!?!?!