Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dengerous driving what do the police actually do !

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2006, 11:05 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dengerous driving what do the police actually do !

Around two weeks ago I had a heart stopping moment as I narrowly avoided bing in the middle of a huge accident when a big Merc overtook without indication going about twice the speed limit and overtaking on a road with blind crests. Luckilly the cars coming the other way saw him and avoided collision by nrealy driving off the road. Real scarey stuff, I was convinced that was it I'm dead kind of thing.

Reported it to the police who said they would send a car out to speak to the driver.

Around 10 days later some clown pulls out infornt of me making me jump on the brakes to avoid hitting him and I thought this car looks familiar. The clown then proceeds to overtake without indication on the same bit of road on the blind crest again but this time almost forces other cars off the road he is overtaking.

This guys clearly wants to die and kill other people. What are the police actually meant to do ? Seriously if this carries on he will kill someone as his driving defies beleif !

Allan
Old 21 May 2006, 11:10 AM
gotmashed
Scooby Regular

not alot unless they see him seen it loads of times ****
Old 21 May 2006, 11:19 AM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

Too difficult and time consuming for the pigs to do anything about it. Far easier to catch you accidently doing 36mph in a 30 or nab you for parking wrongly.
Have you considered the Merc may'be a pig testing out the handling ability of his car?
Old 21 May 2006, 11:20 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Reported it and they linked it to the last report. Didn't seem very interested though.

At least they did not say " well what do you want me to do about it " like when I reported some maniac on Xmas day a few years ago who nearly took me out doing about 70 in a 20 zones going airborne over speed humps !

AllanB
Old 21 May 2006, 11:23 AM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

they wont do anything

even if someone pulls out on you and you crash into them and they say im really sorry they wont do them for driving without due care and attention when they could of killed someone!
Old 21 May 2006, 02:00 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Angry

The Police will do absolutely nothing . . .End of . .In future, please let the infirm gentelman pass you in his Merc, so that he may have an accident and perhaps either injure or kill himself . .Yes . .This sound harsh - but only fair, and there is no reason for you to get involved . . .

Really bad joke, but did the driver of the Merc, by any chance resemble Naseem Hamed?
Old 21 May 2006, 02:54 PM
New_scooby_04

It's always worth reporting it.

The only thing that IS certain is that if you don't say anything, no-one CAN do anything.

At least you'll have done your bit, even if others don't follow up on it!

Ns04
Old 21 May 2006, 03:13 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Doubt they will do anything really. They get loads of calls from people accusing other's of dangerous driving / Speeding etc.

I fell out with a bloke that lives in the village my mother lives in. About 3 years ago when I had my Focus RS, I overtook him on a straight road, nothing coming the other way. Now, he was doing 50mph, I wasn't on his bumper or anything like that. I just overtook quickly & safely. Next thing I know, I'm getting accused of trying to ram him off the road and kill him. When I got my scoob. The day I got the PPP put on, I was driving through the village (30mph) but I had my window down, and the car in a low gear (second) listening to my new exhaust note. Next thing I know, the police are at my mothers house wanting to talk to me for speeding through the village. I was apparently doing 70mph !!!!!!!!!!!!
After I'd explained everything to the police, they understood and agreed that some people hate and resent being overtaken, and they get calls all the time from idiots accusing other drivers of speeding & dangerous driving. So when a genuine call come through it's not taken too seriously.

Funnily enough, this bloke drives a Merc too. Say's it all really.
Old 21 May 2006, 03:18 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by stilover
the police are at my mothers house wanting to talk to me for speeding through the village. I was apparently doing 70mph !!!!!!!!!!!!
So they did do at least something in this example then. Glad the police listened to your side of the story. If you'd answered the door wearing Burberry, you'd have been nicked on the spot though!!!

It's worth a shot, as I said, the only certainity is if no-one says anything, no one can do anything!
Old 21 May 2006, 03:22 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

you arnt the law im afraid! they will do nothing unless they see him doing it!
Old 21 May 2006, 03:58 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

most merc drivers r t**ts they think they own the road well i drive a van so i own it instead ha ha ha
Old 21 May 2006, 03:58 PM
chucky1502
Scooby Regular

The police should do somthing about it, I know in the south they will!!

There is such thingalled a section 59, of the police reform act 2002 which if the driver of a vehicle is causing harrasment alarm or distress to other road users then he should be issued a section 59 warning for his driving.

On the second reported incident the car/van would be seized under the act, which causes inconvienience and a huge bill from the recovery agency.

This courseof action is standardacross all uk police forces and should be enforced.

I agrees that idiots on the road, who nearly cause us proud owners of scoobs, to near crash and smash up our pride and joys, should be dealt with robustly.
Old 21 May 2006, 04:06 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

chucky, there is no way that should happen, how can the police believe just anyone that rings them up, the public cannot decide what is right or wrong on the road!! that is why we have police, what if someone says you were speeding just because you have a loud car, they then report you again later the same week, and oh, your cars been towed away!!!!

i dont think so.
Old 21 May 2006, 04:36 PM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chucky1502
The police should do somthing about it, I know in the south they will!!

There is such thingalled a section 59, of the police reform act 2002 which if the driver of a vehicle is causing harrasment alarm or distress to other road users then he should be issued a section 59 warning for his driving.

On the second reported incident the car/van would be seized under the act, which causes inconvienience and a huge bill from the recovery agency.

This courseof action is standardacross all uk police forces and should be enforced.

I agrees that idiots on the road, who nearly cause us proud owners of scoobs, to near crash and smash up our pride and joys, should be dealt with robustly.
only applies if the cop see's it that act
Old 21 May 2006, 04:57 PM
DannyW
Scooby Regular

It only takes 2 witnesses to get you a conviction i'm afraid. A mate of mine was done a few months ago for apparently overtaking dangerously before a blind bend. He denied all knowledge of the incident, and would have been arriving at work (nearly 8 miles away) at the alleged time of the offence.

He got 4 points and a fine (cant remember how much exactly) because the police had 2 witnesses (who happen to be related to each other).
Old 21 May 2006, 04:57 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Mmmm I think I'll be mounting my video camera in my Scoob then.

AllanB
Old 21 May 2006, 05:22 PM
chucky1502
Scooby Regular

59 Vehicles used in manner causing alarm, distress or annoyance
(1) Where a constable in uniform has reasonable grounds for believing that a motor vehicle is being used on any occasion in a manner which-
      he shall have the powers set out in subsection (3).
      (2) A constable in uniform shall also have the powers set out in subsection (3) where he has reasonable grounds for believing that a motor vehicle has been used on any occasion in a manner falling within subsection (1).
      (3) Those powers are-

I have highlighted" REASONABLE GROUNDS"
              Hence persons reporting the incident on two occasions!!! I KNOW that would give reasonable grounds to suspect.

P.S this was taken from the acts of parliment website.
              Old 21 May 2006, 07:50 PM
              TDoyley
              Scooby Newbie

S59 is set up to combat anti-social driving in respect of yobs driving around council estates with stolen cars or 'pool' cars. It is not meant for the police to stop and seize the car of people who habitually drive dangerously. If you think about the number of single incidents of dangerous driving that occurr in any one place at any one time, the Police would end up with thousands of seized cars every day.

If there is enough information or 'intelligence' in relation to a specific car that has been reported driving dangerously on a number of occasions, the Police have a duty to pro-actively respond to that 'intelligence'. This may mean some form of covert operation but this will not happen unless there is a significant problem. Think of the number of comlplaints the Police get on a daily basis and think of the types of people that are complaining. Some (like yours) are probably justifiable, some are absolute nonsense. The Police therefore treat such reports of 'dangerous driving' accordingly.

It is for this reason that usually ownly incidents that are witnessed by a patrol car or that come about as a result of an accident or an occurrence, are investigated. It is not possible to follow up every random report of bad driving, apparently ?
              Old 22 May 2006, 02:05 PM
              chucky1502
              Scooby Regular

It is not meant for the police to stop and seize the car of people who habitually drive dangerously.
              ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??

I think your talking utter rubbish, this is the exact reason for this act and why it was put into place.

Lets face it, some police forces will deal with these sort of complaints, some will turn a blind eye or ignore them, but if you shout loud enough, you will be heard.
              Old 22 May 2006, 04:42 PM
              Gary C
              Scooby Regular

At least this will build up some sort of evidence if he does kill someone.
              Old 22 May 2006, 04:46 PM
              SamUK
              Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brother was out on his Harley afew weeks back, and some van driver tried to run him off the road, and then turned back round to get him again...for no apparant reason. The bike was not damadged too much as he was not riding very fast....

Reported it to the Police, who came back 6 weeks later and said, "The van driver said you came out of a No Entry" The missed the fact that he tried to run him off the road, or the fact that he turned back to try again....also the damadge on the bike They are ****ing useless! 6 Weeks!
              Old 22 May 2006, 05:25 PM
              Tanuki
              Scooby Regular

Hmm...what we need is one of those cop cockpit cameras fitted. You turn it on to record at the beginning of a journey, then at the end, if there is nothing to report, then you wipe it ready for the next day.

Wonder where you can get one.

I needed one last year when some australopithecus in a white van on the phone (probably to kin back in the savannah) drove into my lane head on (i had right of way...he was going around a string of cars parked on his side) and nearly took me out. Then had the audacity to flip me the bird after I yelled abuse.

he should have been caught and sent to Iraq to try that sh*t over there.