Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Visited Prosport today...and......

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2006, 11:19 AM
scooter(WRX03 PPP)
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Visited Prosport today...and......

Just wanted to say (Great service, friendly people and a pleasure to deal with).

BUT

Will everyone give them a break on the prices of the STI panel filters.

1.) They do not advertise the price of the filter (but everyone assumes they will sell at the same price as some of the other places on the net). This is not the case so, don't make that assumption. The fact is I got a great deal (around £75 inc), which (BEFORE YOU ALL START COMPLAINING) is way below the price you would pay from Subaru which is around £103+VAT.

2.) Now I know there are places that sell them cheaper (but not much), but I am happy to pay the extra knowing that the service I get is excellent.

3.) They make virtually NO money out of selling these to you. These had to be imported (Import TAX / duty / postage etc,...). The fact is that if they were to match the price of some of the other online places etc,.. then they would be in fact loosing money on the sale (and have done in the past). They are NOT a charity.

There, I've said my piece.

If you want great service from people who actually care and know what they are doing, then go to prosport.

Regards,

Paul.
Old 20 May 2006, 11:22 AM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

hang on are we talking about the sti panel filter here?
Old 20 May 2006, 11:24 AM
scooter(WRX03 PPP)
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neilo
hang on are we talking about the sti panel filter here?
Yes, as stated in my post.
Old 20 May 2006, 11:26 AM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

just curious, i thought they were £40 odd, like the one from green...£75 quid (and more so the 103+vat) is ludicrous for a panel filter than does next to bugger all surely!
Old 20 May 2006, 11:28 AM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

hmm yeah 47+vat from scoobymania, and slightly more from zen...

anyhoo, glad your happy
Old 20 May 2006, 11:30 AM
scooter(WRX03 PPP)
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neilo
just curious, i thought they were £40 odd, like the one from green...£75 quid (and more so the 103+vat) is ludicrous for a panel filter than does next to bugger all surely!
Yes, in some ways I agree, however don't forget that it's not Prosport that sets the prices. The STI panel filter does make a noticable difference though (and gives around 12bhp extra over the standard filter that gets fitted by the subaru garages as standard). So in a way, £75 is worth the extra output, but in another way, for what it actually is, it's overpriced.

But like I said, it's not prosport that set those prices to start with.

Regards,
Old 20 May 2006, 11:44 AM
wrxtreme96
Scooby Regular

Perhaps this is a similar dilemma to comparing most items...Out on the High street you can go and view an item and then back home source the identical item throuh the 'net' and pay less...?

It is however important to support trusted suppliers..and sometimes face to face communication and contact is so much better than annonymous purchasing...??

Despite this there does seem to be a big difference in the price of this particular item......?

As you say though
Great service, friendly people and a pleasure to deal with
speaks volumes for repeat business and support...?

Old 20 May 2006, 11:48 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by wrxtreme96
As you say though speaks volumes for repeat business and support...?

Yup, probably THE best subaru garage in the UK

Tony
Old 20 May 2006, 11:53 AM
Tony MY03WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooter(WRX03 PPP)
The STI panel filter does make a noticable difference though (and gives around 12bhp extra over the standard filter that gets fitted by the subaru garages as standard).
Regards,
12 BHP are you sure for just replacing an air filter uhhhm doesn't seem right to me.....can anyone confirm this statement..therefore this must be one of the cheapest performance mods
Old 20 May 2006, 11:54 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Yup i can confirm this, my car was tested on the rolling road, 2 runs before and 2 runs after, increase of 12bhp and 15lbs of torque, but take note that my car is a JDM MY03 STi and this filter is designed specifically for it

Tony
Old 20 May 2006, 11:58 AM
wrxtreme96
Scooby Regular

Never visted them Tony but what a superb recommendation if was needing to 'choose' a garage...

I personally have found its best to look at overall cost comparisons... you may pay slighlty more on one item and then less on others..same for servicing labour costs...

Its the overall cost that matters and whether or not work carried out needs attention 'again' a few miles or months down the line..?
Old 20 May 2006, 12:00 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

They probably have one of the lowest, if not THE lowest servicing costs on Subaru's for an official garage, and their customer service is fantastic, plus you can see your car getting serviced

Tony
Old 20 May 2006, 12:12 PM
scoobie elf
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't trust anyone else with my car. The service Prosport provide is first class and I'm glad I've got a garage on my doorstep that I can trust.

Pete is a fantastic bloke and is someone who cares about your pride and joy as if it was his own.

I've also spoke to Claire on a few occassions recently aswell as she has just dealt with a warranty claim for me and she sorted everything out with IM for me. Thanks Claire.

Old 20 May 2006, 12:27 PM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

I bought an STI Panel filter from Prosport recently at a rolling road day . My car did 272 bhp in the morning which I wasn't too happy with Pete suggested trying the STI filter as the original was a bit dirty, Prosport put in the new filter and reset the ECU , Pete put the car back on the rollers at the end of the r/r day and it gave 285.5 bhp and a considerable increase in torque. Dont know if it was the filter or the ECU reset that made the difference but I got 12.5 bhp for next to no money
I was always very happy with any work done by Prosport but went elsewhere for my last mods as Prosport were so busy at the time, however I wish I had been patient and waited until Pete and the guys could do the work because I have been severely messed about by the other place and will definately be going back to Prosport for any future work
Old 20 May 2006, 12:49 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Prosport is a great place to trust your Subaru to, you wont find a more straight forward and knowledgable person than Pete, he will always goes the extra mile to help you.

I wish back in the day i had started to sell these panel filters myself, as i was the first person on scoobynet to get one specially imported and test them out. At the time everyone was selling oiled performance panel filters, which flow well but kill the MAF sensor in the process. The STi Filter works extremely well, especially on STi's which rev higher than a UK spec classic. The UK filters strangle the engine above 6Krpm in particular.
Old 20 May 2006, 01:02 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

And if you'd been a SMACS member, you'd have got a discount on your parts
Old 20 May 2006, 02:43 PM
scooter(WRX03 PPP)
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Yup, probably THE best subaru garage in the UK

Tony
Tony, you were mentioned and they had nothing but good things to say about you. Very friendly people.
Old 21 May 2006, 12:18 AM
rolski
Scooby Newbie

i regularly made a 200 mile round trip to prosport ,you get great service ,sound advice, and no bull##it.
Old 21 May 2006, 12:30 AM
scooter(WRX03 PPP)
Scooby Regular

I have a 03 WRX with PPP and STI panel filter fitted and I'm thinking of getting a down pipe decat done there and a remap, but want to keep my existing PPP ECU to sell on (as advised by Pete).

I have a few questions which I'm hoping the experts on here can answer:

1.) What ECU should I buy for the remap and where can I get it from.

2.) My 03 WRX is supposed to be 265bhp according to PPP, but is this a realistic figure? Do cars that are PPP'd really come out at that figure or is it usually less at around 255 or so? I'm going to have the car on a rolling road in a couple of weeks to find out.

3.) How much difference in performance will I notice from a down pipe decat and a remap? Currently it has no centre decat as this is removed as part of the PPP pack.

4.) What kind of bhp output can I expect after these changes.

5.) Is the remap essential after the decat downpipe? Or will I get a noticable improvement even with the remap?

6.) Is it safe to do in stages as I'm not sure if I can afford the remap straight away. I heard of people having trouble with the cat disintegrating? Is this true?

7.) How much louder would the car get after the decat? (Don't want to annoy the neighbours too much. lol)

Many thanks for anyones help on this.

Last edited by scooter(WRX03 PPP); 21 May 2006 at 12:33 AM.
Old 21 May 2006, 10:33 AM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds

And I thought things were meant to be cheaper up norf.......

Come on guys open your eyes, Prosport maywell be the very best of the best but there's no way you should be expected to pay that sort of money for a panel filter and then be told that they make no money out of selling them <rollseyes> What do they do get them shipped one at a time from Japan?

OK sell them at that price if that's what you need to do but be honest with it
Old 21 May 2006, 10:49 AM
scooter(WRX03 PPP)
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mo
And I thought things were meant to be cheaper up norf.......

Come on guys open your eyes, Prosport maywell be the very best of the best but there's no way you should be expected to pay that sort of money for a panel filter and then be told that they make no money out of selling them <rollseyes> What do they do get them shipped one at a time from Japan?

OK sell them at that price if that's what you need to do but be honest with it
Pete was quite honest with me and told me that he makes £10 from selling at that price (WOW, he can retire on that!!!). He also spent 30mins of his owm time showing me what can be done with my car and giving me good advice. And that is something you don't get over the internet. He doesn't expect anything. The price is what it is. It's your choice if you go elsewhere to get the filter, but my point is don't ask them to price match or expect to get the filter at the same price as elsewhere. They don't even advertise the prices. Go to Subaru and they'll charge you 103+VAT for the same item. So although you are not getting the best possible price, you are in fact getting a good price. Are we really that tight in the UK that we're going to argue over a few quid and wait longer for the item to arrive?

And in answer to your question, no he doesn't buy them in bulk. He bought a few in for a rolling road day and now has some left in stock.

Regards,
Old 21 May 2006, 10:51 AM
scoobimax
Scooby Regular

I have a 03 WRX with PPP and STI panel filter fitted and I'm thinking of getting a down pipe decat done there and a remap, but want to keep my existing PPP ECU to sell on (as advised by Pete).

I have a few questions which I'm hoping the experts on here can answer:

1.) What ECU should I buy for the remap and where can I get it from.

2.) My 03 WRX is supposed to be 265bhp according to PPP, but is this a realistic figure? Do cars that are PPP'd really come out at that figure or is it usually less at around 255 or so? I'm going to have the car on a rolling road in a couple of weeks to find out.

3.) How much difference in performance will I notice from a down pipe decat and a remap? Currently it has no centre decat as this is removed as part of the PPP pack.

4.) What kind of bhp output can I expect after these changes.

5.) Is the remap essential after the decat downpipe? Or will I get a noticable improvement even with the remap?

6.) Is it safe to do in stages as I'm not sure if I can afford the remap straight away. I heard of people having trouble with the cat disintegrating? Is this true?

7.) How much louder would the car get after the decat? (Don't want to annoy the neighbours too much. lol)

Many thanks for anyones help on this.

I'm no expert but I think I've heard you'll need an uprated Turbo to take the 03 WRX much more beyond 265bhp. I may well stand corrected so apologies if I'm wrong.
Old 21 May 2006, 10:53 AM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

.....however don't forget that it's not Prosport that sets the prices.
Well who makes up the price then ?

They buy them in, they sell them out. = Profit.

Now, their either not buying them from the same source as the other companies out there (scoobymania/zen etc), or their making a hefty profit for them. Or perhaps, everyone else makes a loss when selling them.

£75 is a lot of money for a filter that isn't a reusable item...

But, as long as your happy at the end of the day......
Old 21 May 2006, 10:58 AM
scooter(WRX03 PPP)
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marklemac
Well who makes up the price then ?

They buy them in, they sell them out. = Profit.

Now, their either not buying them from the same source as the other companies out there (scoobymania/zen etc), or their making a hefty profit for them. Or perhaps, everyone else makes a loss when selling them.

£75 is a lot of money for a filter that isn't a reusable item...

But, as long as your happy at the end of the day......
The manufactures set the price. Now they don't buy in bulk and so they will not get the best price. And yes, they might not buy from the same source, but they are not a shop, they are a service centre. I agree £75 is a lot, but you have a choice where to buy the item from.

Regards,
Old 21 May 2006, 11:00 AM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds

Maybe next time they'll source them from in the UK
Old 21 May 2006, 11:00 AM
scooter(WRX03 PPP)
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobimax
I'm no expert but I think I've heard you'll need an uprated Turbo to take the 03 WRX much more beyond 265bhp. I may well stand corrected so apologies if I'm wrong.
ECUTek reckon that you can 285bhp from a 03WRX wih no problems and without an uprated turbo simply using a chip replacement for the PPP ECU!!!. So I'm going for an up pipe decat as well an STI panel filter and a remap which I hope will take me somewhere nearer to 300bhp. I could be very wrong though.