Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STI V Type R

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2001, 06:05 PM
tarmacterrorist
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interested to hear from people that have the STI V type R with regards to the comfort & ride factors.
Is the car a harder drive compared to STI V ?
I have the STI IV at the moment & am happy with the comfort & ride so would I be happier with the STI V or the STI V Type R ?
I am also interested in what you think of the noise of the type R with the ratio of the gearing.

I have read up on some of the facts on the SIDC but the best views are from people who drive the cars.

Thanks, Andy.
Old 30 October 2001, 07:25 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Ive just recently brought a STi V6 coupe R and totally enjoy it. Hand on heart though, it is a bit of a bone shaker over bumpy ground. However ,the close ratio gearbox is a dream but the clutch takes a while to get used to.

I reckon the 2 door model looks the dogs bollocks and the performance is tremendous even though the car has been modified with a wider down pipe and extra fueling.

Overall, I give it the thumbs up !
Old 30 October 2001, 10:06 AM
tarmacterrorist
Scooby Regular

Thanks. It sounds like I should definately take one for a test drive. I am just a little bit worried about the ride at the mo.
Totally agree that the 2dr looks the dogs danglies.
Old 30 October 2001, 10:49 AM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Just recently I upgraded from a 94WRX to a 99STiV typeR and was really worried beforehand about the ride & noise as I regularly do a good few motorway miles (Woking-Kielder) with my other 1/2 who has a bad back.

Anyway Its not as bad as people make out, after a 10 min test drive I knew it would be fine . The ride is firm but its not a boneshaker and its an absolute dream on the twisty roads . Even with a full s/s system I reckon its too quiet and the best bit is that its more economical than the old WRX, Ive seen over 30mpg on the M1.

Just get one, you wont regret it, thats assuming you can find one in the 1st place.....

Dan
Old 30 October 2001, 10:51 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Dan, how much did u pay for your car ?

Is yours a version 5 or 6 ? Any mods ?

SBK
Old 30 October 2001, 10:59 AM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Simon,
I paid £16250 (8 weeks ago private sale) for a sonic blue T reg MY99 STi5 TypeR V-limited with 22K miles.
It had a full exhaust system with magnex backbox (too quiet hence now a scoobysport one), and 18" Raceline wheels (now 17" ST2's).

There were very few 5's around at the time and I'm so happy I got one in my fav colour....

Dan

ps am just plumbing in scoobymania ultralite gauges which look ace, will post pics asap
Old 30 October 2001, 11:01 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

eeerm, to my knowledge there is no difference in the suspension between a type r and a four door sti unless its the 22B.

Even the 22B's suspension is fine (works beautifully on track).

Noise wise there isnt much in it.

Final drive means 19.8 mph per 1000 rpm in top instead of 21.8.

It certainly shouldnt be a factor in deciding whether or not to buy the car.

The gearing does give it frantic acceleration, but the noise on cruise is fine. Dont let it bother you.

PS. If the suspension does bother you, mellow yellow was selling his P1 suspension for £650 in the private forum, that would be ideal for you.

Trending Topics

Old 30 October 2001, 11:07 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Dan,

Nice colour!!!

Mine is a 1999 V 30K Cool Grey Sti V6 Coupe R.

Its got a modified Scooby sport down pipe and Fuel controller.

17" Oz gold wheels

Paid £16K last week for it.

SBK
Old 30 October 2001, 11:47 AM
tarmacterrorist
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. Makes me feel a whole lot better about getting one although I am currently looking for one with ABS so it will make life more difficult (not bothered about waiting for one).

Some of your purchase prices are nice as well. Were they from dealers or private ?

Interesting point is that my insurance goes down instead of up with the type R (currently insured for STI IV).

Andy.
Old 30 October 2001, 11:58 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

tarmacterrorist.

I dont think you understand, you will not find one with abs.

There is a remote possibility that one out of all of them will have abs.

I know of one 22B that does, but this is spurious, and we arent entirely convinced.

Airhead is selling a very rare WRX type r which has abs but is not an sti. Dont know if it has gone or not, btu I think he was leaving the country.

If that is what you are waiting for you will be a long time.

The best thing for you will be a P1.

In the process of getting ABS though, you will lose a lot of type r advantages, make sure this is really what you want from the car.
Old 30 October 2001, 12:10 PM
tarmacterrorist
Scooby Regular

Hi Adam

I know of one type r with ABS (apparently) but would need to check it out beforehand.
I thought that having the ABS replaced just the diff. Do you know what the advantages I will lose ?

Out of interest: advert is for STI V Type R, mentions ABS but not the diff.

Andy.
Old 30 October 2001, 12:48 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

After owning my V5 Limited (RA) for 6 months, i pulled the standarsd suspension off and replaced it with P1 suspension (paid £350 of a 500 miler).

What a difference!!!

The ride is more compliant, tho body roll is still negligible. But the biggest difference is that the overall effect seems to be to somehow "soften" the harsh action of the rear diff - its more controllable on the throttle now - and in the wet it's a totally different car.

I'd definitely reccommend this as a mod - the "cheeky" rear diff and P1 suspension is a spot on combo.

Russ
Old 30 October 2001, 01:06 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Tarmac, teher are some cars with abs, but they are so rare that waiting to find a specific one could be very tiresome.

ABS is not comaptible with the the electronic diff, but also the abs sender require hubs which support them. Since no type r or type ra is supposed to have these hubs, the senders are only mountable on standard hubs. This is only a problem at the back of the car where the brakes are mounted on the hubs. The ABS hubs do not allow for the type r and ra 2 pot calipers. Equally the standard hubs dont allow type r or ra rear drive shafts (thicker and stronger) and the corresponding type r and type ra rear mechanical lsd instead of viscous coupled lsd.

The P1 has had all these changes for the same reason.

The type r you have seen with abd. Are you sure it is an sti?

equally, are you sure the seller knows the car well enough to know, because a lot of dealers just assume that stis under a certain age all have abs even though this is not the case.