Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Road Tax Q

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2001, 11:33 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there any 'grace' given these days guys for tax disk that has only just run out? Missus is in a situation where she's lost the MOT due to a house move, but needs to show it to get the tax renewal. New MOT is booked in next week.

Do traffic wardens book or report you for no tax, since as you know in London the inhabitants are outnumbered by them 2:1...

Cheers
Old 30 October 2001, 11:39 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Don't think there is officially any grace given when it comes to road tax. Friend of mine who lives in Kingston had her car clamped and eventually towed away because she had no road tax.

I seem to remember being stopped by the police many years ago and my road tax was about 3 days out of date. I was given a producer but was basically let off.

Old 30 October 2001, 11:48 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

You have to tell them if your car is not taxed or else you have to pay "back tax" I think.
If it's off the road you have to fill in a SORN, or else you will be liable.
Old 30 October 2001, 12:08 PM
SeanG
Scooby Regular

You can get a replacement MOT certificate from the original testing station but they may charge for rewriting it.

Sean
Old 30 October 2001, 12:19 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

In the good old days, the Police would normally give you up to 2 weeks grace when your tax run out. Nowadays, I doubt they would for anything more than a day or two (with a producer for your trouble).

Traffic Wardens/Parking attendants are a different matter. Most of them are now on bonuses if they meet certain targets (I'm sure many local authorities would go backrupt without earnings from parking tickets). They get more points for spotting out of date tax discs. Where I live they will not even give you one days grace. There is also a big clamp down (no pun intended) at the moment on "road tax evasion" and they are clamping cars found without tax. They take off the clamp when you get the tax.

Personally, I wouldn't take the chance, and I'd keep the car off the road until the MoT date. As mentioned before, you need to get a SORN if the car is even off the road for 1 day (it would seem from the form). Amazingly, you can't get SORN (V890) from the Post Office, but you can get them online from the DVLA website:

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/forms/frms_vehicles.htm

Old 30 October 2001, 01:22 PM
jamesa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Diesel

No grace - official ! (never was)

Cheers