Sponsored by:

panel filters

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2006, 02:23 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default panel filters

does the newage sti come with the sti panel filter?
if not, where do i buy one and are there any better ones on the market.
Old 19 May 2006, 03:51 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

No, standard paper filter.

The STi one is available from various places such as HERE but I think others have it cheaper, IRO £45. I didn't see the article but I believe there was a test recently in Scoobymag comparing various replacement panels and the STi one had lower flow rates than even the OE paper one. The Green, K&N and JR Racing panels are highly regarded. There has been some concern in the past over ITG filters. I have a JR and am more than happy with it. Also worth bearing in mind that the STi is a serviceable part and would need to be replaced every 10k, whereas the others I mentioned are lifetime items and warrantied as such.
Old 19 May 2006, 04:03 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

tsl use green filters spot on filters do not cause any maf issues which were mainly on classics anyway,a lot of people like the stri filter though i was surprised by result of test!
martin
Old 19 May 2006, 05:59 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

thankyou
Old 19 May 2006, 06:35 PM
danwrx1980
Scooby Regular

got a jetex green high flow filter on my 02 wrx, makes a world of difference, just need the remap now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 19 May 2006, 08:34 PM
Rajaman
Scooby Regular

I haev got an ITG panel filter you can have for £20 if you want, new age fitment
Cheers
Old 19 May 2006, 11:11 PM
P1 NUT
Scooby Regular

I'm using the TSL Green grp N filter which is dry so you won't get any maf issues.
Old 19 May 2006, 11:39 PM
rob_yorky
Scooby Regular

heres the sti one for £47 - http://www.scoobymania.co.uk/performance_info.asp?c=1
Old 19 May 2006, 11:55 PM
gogsie
Scooby Regular

Wished I had asked this same question a few days ago! Had car on rolling road on Thursday - 288.6bhp at the flywheel. OK for a standard 04 sti JDM but was expecting closer to 300bhp. Plan was to then fit H&S exhaust system and ITG panel filter . Couldn't fit exhaust as wrong flange so just installed the ITG filter and put it back on rolling road. Made no difference.

Corradoboy - what problems have you heard off with the ITG, got me worried.

After rolling road I wished I had gone with the Green panel from TSL.
Old 19 May 2006, 11:59 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The ITG were (in)famous for killing MAF's on classics, particularly 98-00 cars with hotwire MAF's. They seem to be much oilier than other mesh/fabric filters such as K&N, Green and JR Racing leading to a build up of sludge in the intake pipes.
Old 20 May 2006, 12:06 AM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

another vote for Green here.
Old 20 May 2006, 12:12 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by gogsie
Wished I had asked this same question a few days ago! Had car on rolling road on Thursday - 288.6bhp at the flywheel. OK for a standard 04 sti JDM but was expecting closer to 300bhp. Plan was to then fit H&S exhaust system and ITG panel filter . Couldn't fit exhaust as wrong flange so just installed the ITG filter and put it back on rolling road. Made no difference.

Corradoboy - what problems have you heard off with the ITG, got me worried.

After rolling road I wished I had gone with the Green panel from TSL.
JDM's have a different exhaust to a uk car
STi panel filter will increase your bhp and torque, your car was similar to mine when she was new (MY03 JDM STi Spec C) and that put out 288bhp and just under 300lbs of torque, the STi panel filter pushed me upto 299.8bhp and 312lbs of torque, the car now runs (with just the panel filter and a like for like backbox) a mere 318bhp and 356lbs of torque, though she does have 17k on the clock now
How many miles does your 04 have on the clock??

Tony
Old 20 May 2006, 12:39 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
STi panel filter will increase your bhp and torque, your car was similar to mine when she was new (MY03 JDM STi Spec C) and that put out 288bhp and just under 300lbs of torque, the STi panel filter pushed me upto 299.8bhp and 312lbs of torque, the car now runs (with just the panel filter and a like for like backbox) a mere 318bhp and 356lbs of torque, though she does have 17k on the clock now
Tony, it would be interesting to try a run on your car with as many available filters as possible. I'm sure I could get people to lend me a K&N, Green and I've got my JR. When you're next due on the rollers give me a shout and we can do our own group test. Could be interesting.
Old 20 May 2006, 12:58 AM
gogsie
Scooby Regular

JDM's have a different exhaust to a uk car
How many miles does your 04 have on the clock??

Tony
Yeh my initial order requested DP for JDM but after a few more e-mails with questions/answers/quote, somehow the JDM bit got missed and H&S supplied me with a UK flanged DP c/w 100 cell cat. Called Ian at H&S and give him his due - great service, tried to fit it on Thursday and Ian had it collected on Friday and should have it back for Tuesday. Without any hassle he also agreed to re-emburse me for labour costs as had to re-install old exhaust. Mines has just reached 15k. Once I get exhaust back I will get it installed then a call to Andy F for a remap. Need a new 3 port solonoid and probably upgrade fuel pump and waste gate too. Car was over fuelling heaps when it was on rolling road!
Old 20 May 2006, 10:07 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by gogsie
Yeh my initial order requested DP for JDM but after a few more e-mails with questions/answers/quote, somehow the JDM bit got missed and H&S supplied me with a UK flanged DP c/w 100 cell cat. Called Ian at H&S and give him his due - great service, tried to fit it on Thursday and Ian had it collected on Friday and should have it back for Tuesday. Without any hassle he also agreed to re-emburse me for labour costs as had to re-install old exhaust. Mines has just reached 15k. Once I get exhaust back I will get it installed then a call to Andy F for a remap. Need a new 3 port solonoid and probably upgrade fuel pump and waste gate too. Car was over fuelling heaps when it was on rolling road!
You wont need to upgrade anything on a MY04 JDM, the fuel pump is more than adiquate and the wastegate, and these do run rather rich
What fuel are you running her on also?
And depending on where you are in the country, id take the car to Richard Bulmer or Bob Rawle, if your in Scotland then yes, Andy F, but ive not seen anyone get as much out of one of these cars as Richard Bulmer has

Tony
Old 20 May 2006, 10:17 AM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

With Gogise over fueling would this cause the low bhp reading? and what would cause it to over fuel.I thought the newage jdm with twin scroll was just over the 300bhp mark.I must be over guessing my 05 jdm sti at 305bhp with useing optimax and millers octane booster
Old 20 May 2006, 10:25 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by DIPSY
With Gogise over fueling would this cause the low bhp reading? and what would cause it to over fuel.I thought the newage jdm with twin scroll was just over the 300bhp mark.I must be over guessing my 05 jdm sti at 305bhp with useing optimax and millers octane booster
Depending on which fuel he's using it could be the fact that the car detected det and reduced the multiplier, that would make the car run richer and reduce the bhp a fair bit (nearly 40bhp when mine did it )

Tony
Old 20 May 2006, 10:43 AM
sang_my02_wrx
Scooby Regular

anyone using the new 3 layer HKS panel filter?
Old 20 May 2006, 04:37 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over two full half days this week I have been doing experiments with various pannel filters and snorkle removal on an STi 3 Wagon. This car produced 335.5 BHP at a RR day at TEG Sport 08 04 06 with HKS Green Panel Filter and snorkle in place. Fueling was around 11.0:1 at full boost which is a bit too rich. No sign of DET.

I removed the snorkle and fitted a K+N Filter and Walbro pump.
The car has an O/E ECU, turbo and injectors.
I was immediately aware the car was running richer.

18-05-06 I obtained the following results on the same TEG Sport rollers.
K+N panel. 325.2 bhp. No DET.
O/E Subaru panel. 326.7 bhp. No DET.
STi panel. 325.2 bhp. No DET.
HKS Green panel. Run aborted. DET. Engine probably breathing more air but not happy even at 10:1.

AFRs were going off the scale at 10.0:1.
Difference from max boost profile (K+N) to min boost (STi) was less than .04 bar and probably exhaust and turbo temperature related.
K+N gave the richest AFR with little in it between the O/E subaru and STi but STi leanest overall. Differences overall in AFRs were consistent but not signifigant.

I concluded the car did not like running without the snorkle as air flow was disrupted and it was refitted.

19 05 06 the car was run with the snorkle in place and HKS Green Panel before other testing was done.

334.9 bhp and 10.5:1 AFR. No trace of DET.

I will now refit the O/E Subaru fuel pump to compare AFRs.

Conclusions.
Contrary to poular belief the removal of the snorkle in this case was a bad move.
More power will come with weaker AFRs.
Do not replace the O/E fuel pump unless the original is tired or suspect unless you can adjust AFRs or are going for big power which will necessitate a remap anyhow.
There will only be small power differences on the filters tested but the HKS probably produced most power.
While the HKS produced best power it probably had the least filtration.

Further tests will be done in the near future with all four filters, back to back to confirm the conclusions. Other work prevented a retrial of the filters used the previous day.

Just to add, anybody experiencing oil on the MAF Sensor issues with a K+N filter is grossly over oiling it.

Last edited by harvey; 20 May 2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old 24 May 2006, 12:58 PM
gogsie
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the feed back guys. Might try Green panel at a later date.
Using Shell Optimax. Exhaust was delivered on Tuesday as promised. Won't be home for 4 weeks so will have to wait to get exhaust fitted.

Might hold off on the Walbro FP & waste gate but still want to install Boost controller. Does it make any difference if I installed pro or post re-map?
Old 24 May 2006, 01:03 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

HKS Hybrid panel filter, no oil, but top quality £34
Old 24 May 2006, 01:09 PM
svennard
Scooby Regular

Hi

Can someone just clarify for me;

I have a STi06 UK Spec D - PPP'd yesterday - see my thread 'PPP delays'

When you talk about panel filters, does this apply to my STI 06 having a paper filter, and if so, would if be worth me upgrading this -? should I notice any difference if I do

Gotta stay within warranty, but happy to do minor tweaks and such to squeeze optimium performance - and fuel economy from the engine

If by changing just the filter, whilst keeping the enclosure itself, I can get more from the car, then of course - I'll do it!

Thanks

Svennard

Last edited by svennard; 24 May 2006 at 01:15 PM.
Old 24 May 2006, 01:12 PM
gogsie
Scooby Regular

You wont need to upgrade anything on a MY04 JDM, the fuel pump is more than adiquate and the wastegate, and these do run rather rich
What fuel are you running her on also?
And depending on where you are in the country, id take the car to Richard Bulmer or Bob Rawle, if your in Scotland then yes, Andy F, but ive not seen anyone get as much out of one of these cars as Richard Bulmer has

Tony
Running on Shell Optomax and Octane booster if doing a track day.

Yeh I live in Aberdeen so I reckon it will be Andy F. He has a good rep too and not looking to tune too much. Looking for more torque and driveability!

Seems concensus is don't need FP and Waste gate change so will hold off on that and see how the re-map goes.
Old 24 May 2006, 02:01 PM
P1 NUT
Scooby Regular

Svennard, i think the filter would be changed to an sti one as part of the ppp m8.
Old 24 May 2006, 02:17 PM
svennard
Scooby Regular

PI NUT

Don't think so mate - long story but when I had my PPP done yesterday, I actually collected all the parts (and had the ECU re-mapped) from Subaru UK

Definately no air filter or any mention of it at all in any of the accompanying info.

I haven't had the lid off it yet but I would assume that the STI UK 06 comes with an STI filter, and that filter is effectively a basic filter, although probably better than that in the WRX

On the assumption that the STI comes with an STI filter, is there any benefit upgrading to the 'Green' panel filter?
Old 24 May 2006, 02:29 PM
Robocop
Scooby Regular

The air filter is not changed when PPP is fitted of that I'm 100% certain.

I use a K&N in my MY06. Apart from it doing it's job, it'll also last the life of the car and is thus cost effective along with any other benefits I may gain.

The genuine STi filter, good as it is, still has to be replaced every 10,000 miles I believe and at £40+ a pop.

Last edited by Robocop; 24 May 2006 at 02:32 PM.
Old 25 May 2006, 09:46 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

You can't beat paper filters for filtration, that's why I'm running 300hp on a std filter. These foam and oiled filters may let in a little more air, but also let in more particulates that quickly turn into grinding paste in the engine.

Keep the std paper filter it works very well.
Old 25 May 2006, 10:14 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

We don't change the filter with any PPP any more. In the engine dyno testing that we did for 06MY STi PPP, the depression across a new paper filter was almost unmeasurable and removing it completely made no difference to power output. Replacing a dirty std filter may get a few horsepower back though if it was particularly bad.

Mike