Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smokey engine bay... smoke signals anyone...???

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2006, 06:50 PM
adeel.a
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Smokey engine bay... smoke signals anyone...???

I understand it's a known symptom that some classic WRX models around the 95' time of year have an issue with the steering oil to leak a very slow build up of sludge over time...

My WRX has not been driven for over 2 months (I've been recovering from severe pneumonia) but has its engine started every third day for about 10 minutes to keep the battery alive... and maybe taken 'around the block' every week to clean the brakes and discs of dust and rust build up...

Question: The oil has reached towards the bottom of the engine bay but not enough to drip as such... as the engine warms and gets hot the oil burns a white smoke... it will burn off eventually I am sure... I hope...

Is there anything I should be aware of while the oil burns off or can I spray anything to clean this oil off so it doesn't leave a white residue type thing...

Help... Thanks in advance
Old 15 May 2006, 07:14 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Pneumonia - fkin hell mate - gad you are OK!!!

These engines are prone to rocker gasket failure - are you sure this is not maybee the problem?
Old 15 May 2006, 07:38 PM
adeel.a
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stephen Pope
Pneumonia - fkin hell mate - gad you are OK!!!

These engines are prone to rocker gasket failure - are you sure this is not maybee the problem?
Thanks... it was life threatening with a touch of Influenza 'Type A'.

To be honest, as a novice with engines although owning my WRX for 4+ years, I couldn't tell you if it's the rocker gasket or any other... its a 95' Jap WRX with 40k mileage. There is evidence of leakage along the steering oil sump and all below along the wires and along the left side of the engine...

What diagnosis would I give or any elimination tests etc.

Thanks

Last edited by adeel.a; 15 May 2006 at 07:47 PM.
Old 15 May 2006, 09:39 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by adeel.a
Thanks... it was life threatening with a touch of Influenza 'Type A'.

To be honest, as a novice with engines although owning my WRX for 4+ years, I couldn't tell you if it's the rocker gasket or any other... its a 95' Jap WRX with 40k mileage. There is evidence of leakage along the steering oil sump and all below along the wires and along the left side of the engine...

What diagnosis would I give or any elimination tests etc.

Thanks
Just noticed you referred to white smoke, so it is unlikely to be your rocker gaskets (more likely to be blue.) So, in fact, it must be something else. I did not have any such problems with my stering so cannot comment. I would suggest either doing a search or posting in the general technical forum where you would be more likely to get a decent response. This area tends to be used for general banter rather than technical stuff.

All the best in your recovery!
Old 15 May 2006, 11:04 PM
grrrr
Scooby Regular

Hi, my rocker gasket started to let out oil and i got white smoke but just from one side (as the rockers are on each side it depends on which side you are getting the problem) Once you get your car well warmed pull up and let the car run while you lift the bonnet and have a look and listen. If you can hear sizzling and smoke from either side its probably your rocker gasket.
Hope that helps mate.
Cheers Graham
Old 16 May 2006, 12:02 AM
adeel.a
Scooby Regular

Default Thank you

Thanks Stephen and Graham...

I shall have another attempt and even try to take some pics tomorrow of the evidence... it may help a little more with the identification of where this oil is coming from.