Sponsored by:

Modifying from scratch

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2000, 03:17 PM
manny
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen, and ladies of course.
I am fairly new to the world of the scooby, i have an MY99 impreza.
Basically i would like some advice, i am planning to start modifying the car from standard to get upwards of 250Bhp, what is the best and most reliable way of obtaining that kind of power, and who can supply the parts,
Thanx in advance
Ian.
Old 20 October 2000, 03:33 PM
JohnS

The safest and most warranty friendly way of getting that sort of power, would be to fit the Prodrive Performance Pack.

This includes a new ECU, some changes to the intercooler piping, and a new exhaust system.

This will increase power levels in excess of 240bhp, but still retain your warranty, and leave the car completely road legal (ie Cat still in place).

You probably could get close to the same levels of power by fitting a de-cat downpipe, exhaust, replacement air-filter or inductiuon kit (be careful with the MY99/MY00 cars here though as many MAF sensors have failed).

You could also speak to BR Developments, about getting a Link ECU fitted (as well as some other goodies) which should take you above that power level (why 250bhp ?).

Others worth considering are the Unichip available from Powerstation.

Search out the articles here and on
Old 20 October 2000, 04:00 PM
manny
Scooby Regular

Thanx for the advice john.
I need 250bhp plus because my mate in his Evo 6 keeps leaving me for dead, i need to give him more competition, after all the scoob should be king and not the ugly Evo
Old 20 October 2000, 08:02 PM
SCOTTY
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hi Manny,

I've read the first mod you should make is an oil cooler!

Scotty.
Old 20 October 2000, 08:10 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Manny
Totally agree with your comments about EVO6 (as a MY00 owner) as I am sure will Blowdog. This is the only thread he'll keep OUT of the Muppet forum.

My MY00 (and my wife's similar car) are both fitted with Scoobysport full exhaust system from turbo back plus ITG panel filter (which Pete Croney of SS says is perfectly safe with MAF sensor) and they make a noticeable difference to power and torque - and sound GREAT!!

You will get loads of conflicting advice on here about what to do - but in the end it's what you are happy with.

Welcome to Scoobynet and enjoy!!
Old 20 October 2000, 09:19 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ok, fact,a DP, exhaust and air filter wont give the same performance as a PPP

2) why is the oil cooler so essential?

Sunil
Old 20 October 2000, 09:21 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Sunlip

Too slow boy, you're behind me on all the posts - you're getting old
Old 20 October 2000, 10:00 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Well, i take my time with your missus so i will be

At least some of my posts are constructive
Old 20 October 2000, 10:06 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Sunlip
I heard you have premature traction (or is that a two wheel drive car?).

Yes I agree some of your posts are constructive - having checked the archives, 2 out of 1302 to be precise.
Old 21 October 2000, 12:59 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
A Prodrive PP makes a bigger difference than the figures suggest. It's bloody quick, and goes even better with SUL fuel and Millers Octane Plus. It'll hold on to a P1 except right near the red line. Stick a good downpipe on it and I reckon they'd be neck and neck.

Sunil, isn't that what you run? How do you compare to an Evo/P1 in a straight line?

Hoppy
Old 21 October 2000, 01:06 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Oh, one more thing. If you're going for some serious speed, and it looks like you are, you must upgrade your brakes. The Prodrive replacement pads and discs as a minimum (I hear good things about an EBC/Greenstuff upgrade, too).

If you're going on track, make that the full Monty Prodrive/Alcon kit for 17in wheels, or AP for either 16 or 17in wheels. Not cheap, but absolutely top grade stoppers.

Hoppy
Old 21 October 2000, 01:39 PM
CharliePsycho
Scooby Regular

Talking

Carefull on the old P1/EVO6 comparisons... I met a black one on the road the other day... Saw it from the slip road as I came onto the motorway/large-A-Road... He saw me and nailed it...

Needless to say caught it (not terribly easily), passed it on the bendy bits, where-upon he followed me (remember it's always easier to follow someone else)

Met a guy at Castle Coombe with a white EVO 6 who pissed on everything, including a fairly heavily modded MY98 (I think) running slicks and fully adjustable suspension...

I had no problem on the straights, but he could out-brake and out-corner me.

Now of course this is entirely subjective, I admired the EVO cos it had all the right bits as standard (like decent brakes!!) but I do 25,000 miles a year in mine, easily, without losing fillings or getting a sore back...

The things that made me get a P1 and not an EVO was:
They had one in the dealership, so I didn't have to wait.
I could test drive the P1, I never even saw an EVO.
I really like blue
I only know one Mitsubishi dealership.
Subaru keep getting the JD power award or service.

As far as performance goes... The first mod I did was fit a full harness, now I don't rattle around the inside of the car and I can really *feel* what is happening underneath me.

Who is it who keeps saying 'It's the nut behind the wheel that you need to upgrade first'?
Old 22 October 2000, 12:39 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sunil,

Sorry, you are right, reading my post, I didnt quite say what I meant.
What I meant, was that there really is no difference between most of the Imprezas and the Evos. The only time one car grabs a lead on the other is if you have a short geared Impreza. That doesnt make it any more pwerful, but the application of the power is different.
I often go out with the Impreza boys and they regularly state that they have trouble keeping up.

But then, I just rock
Cem

Old 22 October 2000, 04:23 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The only Imprezas that give Evo's a hard time (in a straight line) are those with short gears. A Type R will cane an Evo 100MPH +

Cem

(Evo's are still better though)

Old 22 October 2000, 09:59 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Bollox, there is a yellow S Reg EVO VI in Sutton and i can draw up on him with ease in 1st, 2nd and 3rd....road conditions did not allow more.

Hoppy, i used to run PPP, now run Possum Link, VF23, SS DP, SS Back Box, Magnex centre, HKS plugs, HKS Induction and AP 6pots amongst things

Sunil

Old 22 October 2000, 10:18 AM
CharliePsycho
Scooby Regular

At this end of the scale the only difference is the driver...
Old 22 October 2000, 11:03 AM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Smile

I agree with Hoppy.

If you have money to spend on your car spend it on the best quality brakes/tyres you can afford first.

You are then less likely to fall off the road when you up the power.

DJ
Old 22 October 2000, 12:57 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Manny, here are a few numbers for you. If you want more, check out the Dynomite Scoobies run on the PowerStation rollers. Stacks of data and graphs on every imaginable modification up to 346bhp! Site at http:/dyno.scoobynet.co.uk
Try these for starters:

MY99 UK, standard car, 98 RON. 240bhp@6050rpm, 227lb/ft@4170rpm.

MY99 UK, standard car plus Prodrive Performance Pack, 98 RON. 252bhp@6380rpm, 249lb/ft@4130rpm.

MY99 UK, standard car plus Prodrive Performance Pack, Falkland downpipe, 98 RON. 270bhp@5940rpm, 269lb/ft@4550rpm.

P1, Scoobysport back-box, 95/97 RON mix. 287bhp@7090rpm, 249lb/ft@4000rpm.

EVO-6, standard car, 98 RON. 289bhp@6730rpm, 263lb/ft@4050rpm.

Of course, all the usual caveats apply about the accuracy of rolling roads and different cars on different days/time of year etc, but a few 'facts' are consistently clear.

If you're lucky, a standard car will give more power than stated.

The Prodrive Power Pack lifts peak power considerably and torque even more so. Look at the graphs and the PPP car packs the biggest punch of all below about 4,000 rpm. (And it also sounds wonderful on full noise.) The other cars' power advantage only shows above 5,000-plus rpm and you have to rev their **** off to get at it, ie probably slower on 'real world roads' etc.

The Falkland downpipe (I believe the Scoobysport pipe is very similar, but not 100% certain) adds more and more power as revs rise. Said to reduce turbo lag, too. (I've got the PPP and a downpipe is next, so I can't speak from personal experience of the pipe just yet.)

The P1, Evo-6 (and STi's for that matter) all produce more ultimate power, but it's all at the top end. A standard UK Scoob plus PPP beats them all on bottom-middle pulling power.

Ermm, that's all.

Hoppy

[This message has been edited by Hoppy (edited 22 October 2000).]