ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

P1 vs 320 bhp uk turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2006, 10:47 AM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1 vs 320 bhp uk turbo

How would a standard P1 compare (performance wise) to a uk turbo with around 320 bhp?

Not really interested in 0-60 stuff, more how they'd compare in real terms on the road.
Old 07 May 2006, 11:44 AM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

i have had 2 p1s, 2 evos, one a fq330 and test drove my friends wr1 for half a day. Cover 500 miles a week so use to all the cars.

p1s are fantastic cars. But on both my p1s, I took the decat route and both suffered from lost of torque immediately after - i never got them remapped, just added a knocklink. It seemd that they both lost bit of 'urgency' low down. But hell they sounded like nothing else. Perhaps a remap is the only safe option here.

The wr1 was very quick, more modern, and very loud, but to be honest it never seemed any quicker than the p1 in either cat or decat state. The fq330 evo was also amazingly quick but considering the money I lost on it, the P1 was the best value for money wise. I also had a fq340 for a day, and choose the 330 over it as it was £10k less and I couldn't tell the difference.

I remember having had a fq300 evo7 for 6 months and then test driving my second p1 straight from the dealer with no mods whatever and without a doubt the p1 was the quickest car of the lot, even beating the wr1. But it is looking dated in the cabin and that steering wheel is awful.

Spec c or a tsl 333 might be the best bet. Time again, has to be the p1. Totally love them.
Old 07 May 2006, 05:59 PM
Jap Import
Scooby Regular

I was wondering a similar thing.

I test drove an STi RA running just below 350 bhp last weekend and some fool was pushing me through roads I'd never been on (built up areas) when we hit the dual carriage the sti acceleration left him pretty quick.
On acceleration this RA eats em up, However its only good for 125ish MPH
Old 07 May 2006, 06:04 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone actually plan on answering the question?
Old 07 May 2006, 06:09 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I've owned a P1 and a UK turbo. On crappy bumpy potholed roads I actually preferred the softer suspension and smaller 16" wheels of my UK turbo, it gave far more feedback than I got driving the P1 on the same roads. While the P1 had more outright grip due to harder suspension, bigger wheels etc, I could go faster over the same roads but needed a lot more concentration to go fast - and when it decided to let go there was a lot less warning than in the UK turbo.

Performance wise I'd imagine a 320bhp UK (classic) car would be faster in a straight line, but the P1 has a stiffer shell and lots if STI bits so I'd expect it to handle better.
Old 07 May 2006, 06:47 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
I've owned a P1 and a UK turbo. On crappy bumpy potholed roads I actually preferred the softer suspension and smaller 16" wheels of my UK turbo, it gave far more feedback than I got driving the P1 on the same roads. While the P1 had more outright grip due to harder suspension, bigger wheels etc, I could go faster over the same roads but needed a lot more concentration to go fast - and when it decided to let go there was a lot less warning than in the UK turbo.

Performance wise I'd imagine a 320bhp UK (classic) car would be faster in a straight line, but the P1 has a stiffer shell and lots if STI bits so I'd expect it to handle better.
That's what I thought really. I think i'll stick with my uk and concentrate on the handling side of things rather than any more power for the time being.
There's just something about the P1 that i've always liked
Old 07 May 2006, 09:24 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With regard to performance, do some 30mph - 90mph times in 3rd and compare them against a P1 (the figures for a P1 are in the Brooks Road test Book).

You'd be quite suprised at how quick a 320BHP UK is......I Know I was.

Last edited by Scott.T; 07 May 2006 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07 May 2006, 09:46 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How would a standard P1 compare (performance wise) to a uk turbo with around 320 bhp?

Not really interested in 0-60 stuff, more how they'd compare in real terms on the road.
The UK turbo well setup will be faster in a straight line than the P1. Don't forget the effects of the P1 gearing and rev limit - they are stunning. The P1 suspension is just in a different league to a UK turbo. It absorbs bumps well whilst retaining comfort.

My comparisons are based on owning a UK MY00 previously at various power levels from 215 BHP to over 450 BHP, and having standard then P1 suspension. Whilst owning the car I also had the pleasure of tuning several P1s and felt their performance as standard and then when remapped with exhausts.
Old 08 May 2006, 05:11 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

I've got a 320 bhp uk at the moment which does the job nicely in the performance stakes, but the handling could be better. Just with the number of P1's that are cropping up lately, I was considering changing, but I've already started with the mods on the one i've got now, so no point really.

I imagine they'll be quite rare, but any ideas where I can get hold of P1 struts and springs, or would I be better opting for something like KYB adjustables with Eibach springs?
Old 08 May 2006, 05:25 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Ended up in the same boat mate. Had a UK97 with 320/310 and suspension mods (coilovers/alk etc etc). Always fancied a P1 so when the time came to look at a "newer" car I gave the P1 a good test drive.

No doubt the P1 was the better looking car with a nicer interior but it just felt nothing like my current one. No where near as quick and the handling felt a bit skittish. I realised I'd have to throw cash at the P1 to get it to the capabilities of the 97. It would have cost me an extra £7k at the time to upgrade and I just decided it wasn';t worth considering.

Held out another six months and finally bought a 53 plate sti with ppp. Still miss the classic that I had which I guess speaks volumes.
Old 08 May 2006, 05:44 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Matt, the P1 was a UK car so in theory you should be able to order spares for it from Subaru UK, i.e. all the suspension components. Might be worth asking over on www.p1woc.co.uk to see if anyone has the part numbers - we did have a big thread running with all the useful part numbers in it arranged into different sections.

Might also be worth checking if anyone has upgraded recently and is selling their old springs/shocks. I know one or two guys have upgraded to Tein adjustables recently, so could be worth asking.

Maybe also ask David at API how much he can get you a set for, he carries stock of most stuff from Jap/UK cars that hes broken. Also worth asking grade A as well.

Deffo go and ask on www.p1woc.co.uk though, some very knowledgable folks on there and generally less "noise" than you get on scoobynet.
Old 08 May 2006, 06:06 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
Matt, the P1 was a UK car so in theory you should be able to order spares for it from Subaru UK, i.e. all the suspension components. Might be worth asking over on www.p1woc.co.uk to see if anyone has the part numbers - we did have a big thread running with all the useful part numbers in it arranged into different sections.

Might also be worth checking if anyone has upgraded recently and is selling their old springs/shocks. I know one or two guys have upgraded to Tein adjustables recently, so could be worth asking.

Maybe also ask David at API how much he can get you a set for, he carries stock of most stuff from Jap/UK cars that hes broken. Also worth asking grade A as well.

Deffo go and ask on www.p1woc.co.uk though, some very knowledgable folks on there and generally less "noise" than you get on scoobynet.
Thanks alot mate, I'll get on to it
Old 08 May 2006, 06:10 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RLE
Ended up in the same boat mate. Had a UK97 with 320/310 and suspension mods (coilovers/alk etc etc). Always fancied a P1 so when the time came to look at a "newer" car I gave the P1 a good test drive.

No doubt the P1 was the better looking car with a nicer interior but it just felt nothing like my current one. No where near as quick and the handling felt a bit skittish. I realised I'd have to throw cash at the P1 to get it to the capabilities of the 97. It would have cost me an extra £7k at the time to upgrade and I just decided it wasn';t worth considering.

Held out another six months and finally bought a 53 plate sti with ppp. Still miss the classic that I had which I guess speaks volumes.
Glad to hear someone else had my experience aswell. I don't know if it's the looks or the fact that it's a bit more 'exclusive' that appeals, but at the back of my mind, I know it would be kind of starting again, and I don't really want to lose what I've got, especially when I got a good low-mileage car in good nick after a long time of looking.
Likewise with the newage, I've been looking recently, but i've never driven one, so I don't know how they compare to rawness of the classic, which is why I bought the car in the first place.

Just the 'itch' I suppose and that feeling of getting a new car!