Sponsored by:

PPP on Euro imports

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2006, 07:52 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPP on Euro imports

Last I read was that putting PPP on a Euro import invalidated the 3 year pan European warranty.

Anybody know if this is still true?
Old 01 May 2006, 09:38 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

It's not true.
Old 01 May 2006, 09:40 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it is.. the PPP has to be fitted in the country of origin doesn't it?
Old 01 May 2006, 09:50 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fizz
I think it is.. the PPP has to be fitted in the country of origin doesn't it?
But surely it would still then be covered in the Pan-European Warranty if you got it fitted in country of purchase.

Mac
Old 01 May 2006, 11:02 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I thought PPP was warrantied by IM and not FHI so therefore it can only be fitted to UK dealer supplied cars.

But not sure. will ring a dealer when i get a chance and see if they know.
Old 02 May 2006, 08:51 AM
room 512
Scooby Regular

I was at Goldens in Huddersfield a couple of weeks back and was told that they had relaxed the rules on PPP as the country of origin realised it was not practical to travel back to Malta/Cyprus to get PPP fitted.
Old 02 May 2006, 10:45 AM
Jolley
Scooby Regular

I think we need someone who actually knows the answer to this to post.....

I had been led to believe it would void my warranty, which was going to make me go to Powerstation. I may reconsider PPP if I can keep my warranty.
Old 02 May 2006, 11:08 AM
room 512
Scooby Regular

It was the service manager at Goldens who told me this.

I have a Euro Import WRX with PPP BTW.
Old 02 May 2006, 10:29 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

well it makes sense if they relax the rules as at least they will make some profit out of having the PPP fitted even if they didnt sell the car.

Otherwise you go outside the dealer network for a mod like the TSL333 and then as the warrenty is void you dont even get it serviced at the dealers!
Old 03 May 2006, 07:43 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

So if not PPP what are the options for a Blob eye?
Old 04 May 2006, 01:09 PM
Jolley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by room 512
It was the service manager at Goldens who told me this.

I have a Euro Import WRX with PPP BTW.
I would just rather base my decision on more concrete evidence. Having had some bad experiences af people telling you one thing to sell it to you, only to deny it when all goes wrong, I would rather something more concrete (i.e. copy of a memo to dealers confirming this).

Out of interest, what year is your WRX, as I am after speaking to someone that has had PPP on a MY06 WRX for a review.
Old 04 May 2006, 01:11 PM
room 512
Scooby Regular

I have a MY05 which has just had a leaking front shock replaced under warranty.
Old 04 May 2006, 02:46 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adrian F
I'm just doing this myself. I've decided to opt for my own route instead of a "package".

1) To save a few quid
2) because the "package" companies are too far away and don't do saturdays, so would need a day off work - paid daily so adds more to the cost.
3) i already have a backbox and high-flow filter, so don't want duplicate components

I'm going for:

Walbro 255 Fuel Pump £81
Decat Downpipe £190
Decat pipe £105
Centre £100
Andy F remap & fitting the parts £830

£1306 compared to PS & TSL £1880. £500 saving, cherr-ching!

So with the saving, i bought Harveys Option 2) Headers & Uppipe £398

Can't wait to get it all done!!!!!
Old 04 May 2006, 02:55 PM
mikepaul
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Jolley
I would just rather base my decision on more concrete evidence. Having had some bad experiences af people telling you one thing to sell it to you, only to deny it when all goes wrong, I would rather something more concrete (i.e. copy of a memo to dealers confirming this).

Out of interest, what year is your WRX, as I am after speaking to someone that has had PPP on a MY06 WRX for a review.
Both local dealers asked me for the chassis number amd inicated they would only fit to a UK sourced car.

Maybe ask your original supplier, to see if they can fit the PPP on your behalf thus retaining the warranty, otherwise I think any problems and they will could potentially refuse any warranty claim. Also check with your insurance company as they get funny about imports and especially mods (well Directline and Churchill do)

I purchased a UK car for this reason, I bought a demo car with 24 miles on the clock for the same price as motorpoint sell a euro import (with factory alarm and Tracker included), the car was 3 months old but in effect unused.

Cheers,

MP
Old 04 May 2006, 04:27 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Jolley
I think we need someone who actually knows the answer to this to post.....

I had been led to believe it would void my warranty, which was going to make me go to Powerstation. I may reconsider PPP if I can keep my warranty.
But I already posted !

I had my MY02 euro import PPPd by Goldens (which was, I think the first euro import they'd done). Unsurprisingly the men in black from IM didn't come round to my house and ceremonially burn my warranty documents.
Old 04 May 2006, 08:35 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Well I spoke to IM today and they said about PPP that I have to contact the dealer in Malta as any warranty claim would go back to that dealer for a decision.

They did indicate that they believe there would be no warranty until I persisted about the Pan European then they admitted that existed but that the warranty would void if PPP is fitted at a UK dealer on things affected e.g. engine and power train.

I also spoke to a UK Dealer who claimed to know nothing until I mentioned that if PPP voided the warranty I would properly just get a remap and servicing else where then, then he was a bit more encouraging but nothing that would stand up when it all goes wrong.

I am not the first owner of the import but looking at the possibility of buying it privately 2nd hand.
Old 04 May 2006, 09:48 PM
Jolley
Scooby Regular

now I am thoroughly confused!
Originally Posted by mikepaul
Both local dealers asked me for the chassis number amd inicated they would only fit to a UK sourced car.

Maybe ask your original supplier, to see if they can fit the PPP on your behalf thus retaining the warranty, otherwise I think any problems and they will could potentially refuse any warranty claim.
Spoke to Wilson's (Chadwell Heath) today and they said they would fit it and that it would not affect the warranty!!

Originally Posted by mikepaul
Also check with your insurance company as they get funny about imports and especially mods (well Directline and Churchill do)
Green light are ok with everything up to Nitrous on my policy (not that I will go that far!!), so not a worry.

Well I spoke to IM today and they said about PPP that I have to contact the dealer in Malta as any warranty claim would go back to that dealer for a decision.

I also spoke to a UK Dealer who claimed to know nothing until I mentioned that if PPP voided the warranty I would properly just get a remap and servicing else where then, then he was a bit more encouraging but nothing that would stand up when it all goes wrong.
Is that what happens?! In that case I can see why it would not be covered. Despite Wilson's assuring me the warranty would be ok, I am not convinced when people actually have to start paying for things!

The official line does seem to be that the warranty will be void, with only dealers assurance that there would not be a problem.

Powerstation, PPP, Powerstation, PPP, Powerstation.......
Old 04 May 2006, 10:28 PM
patkin
Scooby Regular

Speak to your friendly dealer, not many will turn away a customer about to part with £1600 in readies. they will probably agree that the PPP will not affect the car adversely and will "help" you should any warranty issue arise post fitting.........
Old 05 May 2006, 11:21 AM
Jolley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by patkin
Speak to your friendly dealer, not many will turn away a customer about to part with £1600 in readies. they will probably agree that the PPP will not affect the car adversely and will "help" you should any warranty issue arise post fitting.........
£1700 + VAT on MY06!!

Relying on goodwill is just a bit of a gamble.
Old 05 May 2006, 12:22 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

A very expensive gamble if it doesnt work out.

I liked the bit Today where IM told me i have to service the car every 6000 miles if it comes from Cyprus and 10000 miles if UK! Does this mean that Subaru's made for Cyprus are not as well made?

No wonder the Dealers are struggling, the answer about PPP seems to be it voids the warranty so if i mod the car i wont go down that road i will choose another option that is cheaper and then get the servicing done else where as well. Therefore the dealers lose my servicing business and i save money.
Old 05 May 2006, 01:37 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

The service intervals for cyprus scoobies are in Km's and in order to maintain the warranty you have to follow the cyprus service schedule. As they are made in the same factory as UK ones (as far as I know) they should be just as reliable the reason for the different service intervals is to allow for climate differences. In reality the cyprus ones are probably more reliable as they offer a 5 year transmission warranty as standard.

I wouldn't trust a UK dealer saying its ok to fit PPP as IM say that the warranty work on EU imports has to be approved by the supplying EU dealer not them! However I would be interested to know whether the cyprus dealer would be happy to honour the warranty if a PPP was fitted in the UK? After all if PPP is available in the EU surely they must fit some in cyprus, so whats the problem?

I liked the bit Today where IM told me i have to service the car every 6000 miles if it comes from Cyprus and 10000 miles if UK! Does this mean that Subaru's made for Cyprus are not as well made?

No wonder the Dealers are struggling, the answer about PPP seems to be it voids the warranty so if i mod the car i wont go down that road i will choose another option that is cheaper and then get the servicing done else where as well. Therefore the dealers lose my servicing business and i save money.
Old 05 May 2006, 03:42 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

This is one reason why I am not going to buy another subaru in a hurry, all the dealers tell different tales for the same question...

My MY03 was an EU import and I was told by 1 dealer "no cant fit PPP on an import" and another said "sure bring it down".... makes you wonder eh!

In the end I did the same thing as MrHat, re-map, exhaust and filter - £1k vs 1600..
Old 05 May 2006, 05:59 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

That is the point though. The cars are made to the same spec hence the certificate of conformity!

Therefore should have the service intervals set by where they are used. If not then can you take a UK supplied car to Cyprus and only service it every 10,000 miles and it will be ok?

Anyway this attitude just makes me angry it certainly doesn’t encourage me to buy a Scooby from a UK dealer! I might give up and buy another type of car like a CTR.
Old 01 June 2007, 02:42 PM
dave_sw1
Scooby Regular

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email,

For peace of mind all Subaru cars bought from Malta include a 3-Year (12-Year
anti-perforation) manufacturer warranty with pan European (Cross Border)
acceptance.

Kindly be advised, that any modifications or fitting of parts and accessories
which are not approved by the manufacturer will VOID the provided warranty.

Since Prodrive Performance Packs are not approved by Fuji Heavy Industries
(Manufacturer and warrantor of Subaru vehicles) once fitted the manufacturers
warranty will no longer be valid.

We hope we have answered your query completely, correctly and to your
satisfaction.

Kind regards,
Aftersales Department

Liaco Limited
Lia Buildings, Mosta Road, Lija LJA 9012 MALTA
TEL: (+356) 2141 8111 * FAX: (+356) 2141 8589
SUBARU Malta | Home
Old 01 June 2007, 02:54 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Powerstation, TSL333 and all the other package deals available.

Or......Own route & map.
Old 01 June 2007, 03:00 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Amazing aint it, they are miles away and not english but can give you a much straighter answer than a UK dealer.

The mails I have exchanged with Malta have been equally informative.

Like importing your own WRX for 12.5k inc shipping. (plus VAT)
Old 01 June 2007, 03:30 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
I'm just doing this myself. I've decided to opt for my own route instead of a "package".

1) To save a few quid
2) because the "package" companies are too far away and don't do saturdays, so would need a day off work - paid daily so adds more to the cost.
3) i already have a backbox and high-flow filter, so don't want duplicate components

I'm going for:

Walbro 255 Fuel Pump £81
Decat Downpipe £190
Decat pipe £105
Centre £100
Andy F remap & fitting the parts £830

£1306 compared to PS & TSL £1880. £500 saving, cherr-ching!

So with the saving, i bought Harveys Option 2) Headers & Uppipe £398

Can't wait to get it all done!!!!!

Mine cost £499 + VAT for re-map PS.
£40 JDM STi Fuel Pump
£32 HKS Panel filter
£200 ST i Intercooler..269BHP and 343Nm of Torque with a WR Sport BB and everything else normal

Graph is in "View My Scoob". You'' see that was with the standard exhaust. But now one cat gone and de-resonated so who knows
Old 01 June 2007, 03:53 PM
dave_sw1
Scooby Regular

wanted to do the ppp because,

A) its easy to sell - i.e. known quantity, and someone can tell its not been overly fettled with
b) its not that crazy a remap that it shouldn't affect reliability.
c) my insurance company knew about it and wanted to charge £17 more!

but don't think i can risk chopping in a warranty on a new car and although PS is highly regarded, insurance would probably go up, resale would go down compared to an un-modded and warranty is gone completely
Old 01 June 2007, 03:54 PM
dave_sw1
Scooby Regular

no chance of getting fuji heavy industries to reckognise prodrive I guess?
Old 01 June 2007, 03:59 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
Mine cost £499 + VAT for re-map PS.
Why you comparing apples & oranges?

At the time of me modding, "own route" was cheaper than packages.

I know the packages have come down on price, but mentioned that as an option to the person wanting modification routes, so he has an alternative to just taking a garages deal.

Quick Reply: PPP on Euro imports