Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Penalty for "misuse of foglights"

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2000, 12:04 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember, you've now had your warning. Get caught again and they will hit you with the maximum force of the law.
Old 16 October 2000, 08:18 AM
Alan McCaskie
Scooby Regular

Talking

For those of you who saw the post on 30th September after I got stopped by the police for the above offence, the majority will no doubt be pleased that I got a very favourable response from the Chief Super at Traffic - main Glasgow Branch (there was one or two of you who indicated that it served me right!!). Their reply reads as follows: -
"Thank you for your letter of 2nd October relative to the above, which has been passed to me in my capacity as Head of the Traffic Department.
I have considered all the circumstances and I am of the opinion that a warning would have been appropriate in this instance. Accordingly, on this occasion, I have directed that the offer in question be withdrawn. No further proceedings will be taken in respect of this matter.
I am sure you are aware that the Highway Code is quite explicit on the correct use of all the lights fitted to a motor vehicle and would ask that you take full cognisance of these guidance notes in the interests of road safety."

So, a result. Hopefully hacked off the two boys who stopped me as every complaint has to be brought to their attention. Only downside is that the very same boys will be looking out for the car in future. We'll see.

Alan
Old 16 October 2000, 08:40 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Congratulations, however, I feel that you may be correct in that the officers may now take an unhealthy interest in you and your car.
Hopefully not though.
Old 16 October 2000, 11:08 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Congratulations Alan. Notch one up for common sense over ham-fistedness. I hope you don't get too much attention from them in future though - depends on whether they were the vindictive sort or not.
Old 16 October 2000, 01:05 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

I am happy for you that you have been let off, and it is fair enough you have "learned your lesson" having taken the trouble to write the letter.

Personally people who drive with foglights on annoy me, yours was a mistake ,but the copper that pulled you over diddnt know that.

I remember that you said that coppers doing people for cycling on the pavement was excessive. I think the opposite, its about time there was as much enforcement of that and cycling without lights, and crossing the road in stupid places etc. These are dangerous and should be persued with the vigouir that speeding is.

Anyway, I am glad you were let off, but watch your mirrors........
Old 16 October 2000, 04:00 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

Front Fogs dont bother me too much, a quick flash as they go by, unless its the spanners who park on my side of the road facing me with all light ablazing.

The others are the 'Oooooh a cloud in the distance must use rear fog lights' mob, who blind the hell out of you on clear dark nights, these people then olny turn them off by mistake or when the car goes in for its anual service/MOT test
Old 16 October 2000, 10:02 PM
Mr555
Scooby Regular

Shame on you, Mr M!

Last edited by Mr555; 27 July 2005 at 10:43 PM.
Old 16 October 2000, 11:19 PM
CC
Scooby Regular

every one mistakes leaving lights, indicators on etc but people who purposely drive around with their fog lights on are just a bit sad. Apart from looking daft (which is only a my opinion of course) they DO dazzle other road users (thats NOT an opinion), some cars fogs dazzle more than others...
Old 16 October 2000, 11:34 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no hard feelings,

glad for your result as long as you remember to extinguish the fogs as soon as visiblilty is above 100 yards!!

Old 20 October 2000, 08:54 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Alan,

that is good news all round. Not only are you being treat _correctly_, but hopefully future "offenders" will now be handled in a similar manner (by that i mean those that are borderline - not prats who drive for *days* with their fog lghts on!).

mb