Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why does every one say after de-cat you reed a re-map??????

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2006, 04:29 PM
stoney dooby doo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question why does every one say after de-cat you reed a re-map??????

i rang scooby clinic up last night to ask a few questions about re mapping my 95 sti 555. they said for best gains they reccomend full de cat plus maybe an up rated fuel pump. i then asked him is it right you need to re-map a car thats been de catted cos thats what everyone on scoobynet says. he said and i quote "thats bollocks yor car will not be harmed by being fully de catted the only thing that sometimes happens is over boost" I just wondered why people say get a re map straight away??? thanks all advice welcome
Old 27 April 2006, 04:33 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stoney dooby doo
i rang scooby clinic up last night to ask a few questions about re mapping my 95 sti 555. they said for best gains they reccomend full de cat plus maybe an up rated fuel pump. i then asked him is it right you need to re-map a car thats been de catted cos thats what everyone on scoobynet says. he said and i quote "thats bollocks yor car will not be harmed by being fully de catted the only thing that sometimes happens is over boost" I just wondered why people say get a re map straight away??? thanks all advice welcome
The remap will adjust all different sort of timings maximising the current set up of your car so that you get the best gains possible while leaving the car as reliable as possible.

You dont have to have a remap, it just makes a bit more sense to do so.
Old 27 April 2006, 04:34 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well i can tell you this,

On my 02 STI i had her fully decatted ad drove around fine, no problems at all. That was untill we went to map her and got it on the data logging software only to find out that it was very lean up the top and had det after 5.5rpm!!

Enter a 255 fuel pump and all was sorted for the map.

This aint somethin ive made up its my experience with scooby tuning
Old 27 April 2006, 04:35 PM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Over boost must be a good thing then
Old 27 April 2006, 04:36 PM
stoney dooby doo
Scooby Regular

cheers mate. 700 quid is a lot of money for two hours on a roller and a bit of extra performance. i just wondered if peoples cars had been blowing up after de cats or something.
Old 27 April 2006, 04:37 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

keep an eye on the group buy section, normall a remap gb going on some time or another.
Old 27 April 2006, 04:39 PM
stoney dooby doo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stoney dooby doo
cheers mate. 700 quid is a lot of money for two hours on a roller and a bit of extra performance. i just wondered if peoples cars had been blowing up after de cats or something.
he said over boost is rare though not an every day thing. obviously a re map is best but its very very expensive in my eyes.
Old 27 April 2006, 04:40 PM
antonm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by frayz
Well i can tell you this,

On my 02 STI i had her fully decatted ad drove around fine, no problems at all. That was untill we went to map her and got it on the data logging software only to find out that it was very lean up the top and had det after 5.5rpm!!

Enter a 255 fuel pump and all was sorted for the map.

This aint somethin ive made up its my experience with scooby tuning
I have a '02 STi Uk Type fully decat and no remap and she runs fine
Old 27 April 2006, 05:04 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So did mine mate, there was no signs at all of any problems, get it on some propper software and see what shes really doing, get some det cans on there too and just check.

Id rather be safe than sorry.
Old 27 April 2006, 05:12 PM
stoney dooby doo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by frayz
So did mine mate, there was no signs at all of any problems, get it on some propper software and see what shes really doing, get some det cans on there too and just check.

Id rather be safe than sorry.
whats a det can mate??
Old 27 April 2006, 05:15 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Originally Posted by antonm
I have a '02 STi Uk Type fully decat and no remap and she runs fine
You think your car is fine, have you done a delta dash, what is your multiplier at, do you add octane booster, have you done a rolling road session?

I can't speak for pre-bugeye, but 02 and later car's with full decats will boost spike without restrictors or a remap, this subject has been done many times by people that have far more knowledge and experience than me.
Old 27 April 2006, 05:26 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

After having replaced downpipe and up-pipe on my sti 1 i rather wished id gone for the re-map .. - because without it its a pointless exercise , it just makes it louder. - and run leaner thus putting you engine in even more danger if you dont fuel it properly.
Old 27 April 2006, 05:32 PM
McWRX
Scooby Regular

I have spoken to 3 of the main tuning companies that advertise here and not one of them have said you "Will" need a remap. Its advisable to make the most out of your mods but its only import that have the main issues due to the fuel they ran on over there.

As stated above, its worth having the car looked over after just to make sure but no one i know of have had issues (WRX's or STI's)
Old 27 April 2006, 05:32 PM
McWRX
Scooby Regular

I have spoken to 3 of the main tuning companies that advertise here and not one of them have said you "Will" need a remap. Its advisable to make the most out of your mods but its only import that have the main issues due to the fuel they ran on over there.

As stated above, its worth having the car looked over after just to make sure but no one i know of have had issues (WRX's or STI's)
Old 27 April 2006, 05:42 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Originally Posted by McWRX

You need to make clear what model of STi you are refering to, JDM/EDM 02's and onwards will boost-spike with full decats, that's a fact.
Old 27 April 2006, 07:16 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by McWRX

"It's only imports" - and the original poster talks about a 95 STi. First STi available in the UK (not an import) was ~2002

Work it out for yourself . . .
Old 27 April 2006, 07:31 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The Ecutek GB I set up @ Powerstation is still ongoing if anyone is interested - £499+VAT:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=492944

My write up here:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...=492944&page=4
Old 27 April 2006, 07:44 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G00ner
You need to make clear what model of STi you are refering to, JDM/EDM 02's and onwards will boost-spike with full decats, that's a fact.
STi's from 02 onwards will boost spike with decats, unless they have changes made to the diameter of the restrictor (in the boost solenoid pipework). With that change, they can be made not to boost spike. However, making that change is really a "frig", and reduces the power gains. Therefore, the re-map will signficantly improve the (safe) gains you can make.

There have been many cases with people running standard UK turbos (pre '01) or WRX's (01 on) with decats and no re-map with no real problems, and some healthy gains. However, the gains by adding a remap to the mix are still significant, and IMHO well worth it.
Old 27 April 2006, 07:53 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Talking

This same old song again. FWIW I think remapping for a decat is bollocks too. Ive decatted all my Imprezas straight away and driven in total over a 100,000 miles without remaps (also my old P1 decatted day 1 from new, 60k now). IMHO it's just scaremongering to make easy money, it'll be a Cocklink and det can **** thread now
Old 27 April 2006, 08:13 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Decatting is obviously going to give you some power gains but a remap will double the amount of power and torque.

What will a full decat give you on a WRX, an extra 20-30bhp?

Follow that with a remap and you'll get another 40+bhp on top. It'll also ensure your car is running correctly to avoid any potential damage.

Remapping my car completely transformed the way the car drove (MY01 WRX). Not just more power statistics (bhp and lb/ft) but the car is so much more responsive and pulls superbly.

Maybe you don't always NEED a remap, but if you're after imroved engine and performance characteristics, it's a no-brainer. IMHO.

Old 27 April 2006, 08:24 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

bit of a difficult one this. certain models will have problems with decatting due to the change in back pressure and free flow of air causing overboost. Resetting ecu can solve this on some ocasions allowing it to re-learn the cars settings.

however, i had mine decatted and remapped and it went like a bat out of hell, made huge amount of difference to performance and also pops and bangs all over now lol

maybe you'll be lucky and have no problems but my question would be, can you afford to have the engine rebuilt if it does cause damage? if not then personally i'd have it mapped, no matter who you get to map it.

Was scoobyclinic who decatted and mapped mine by the way, and i would recomend them.
Old 27 April 2006, 08:39 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

FWIW most newage cars do not produce any more power (well maybe a few bhp..?) as a result of a decat alone. The ECU just re-compensates for the changes resulting in virtually stock performance.

IMHO if you're not going to get the ECU remapped it's a waste of time doing a full decat..!

Do it and with the 50+ bhp (and vastly improved drivability) you should get with a decent map you WON'T regret the cost..

BTW those that talk of myths and cocklinks have obviously never had a car mapped..!
Old 27 April 2006, 09:06 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fit a boost gauge for a few quid, you don't have to spend a fortune on a full defi set-up. If it boost spikes then reduce the size of the restrictor (MY92 - 96) or increase the size of the restrictor (MY97>). Just get a bit of brass and a few drill bits from B&Q and have a play.

Getting a remap helps, but getting a remap without a decat will also help. As the majority of the improvment is due to the remap increasing the boost control and boost target few psi. Insome cases the remap may even set it to run leaner as the standard maps can be quite rich at the top.

Some of the V.early STi i.e STi 1 and STi RA do run quite lean as standard, so IMHO are the ones to be carefull with after a full decat.
Old 27 April 2006, 09:10 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

What do a lot of people mean by decat - partial decat or full decat?

I've taken one cat off (middle cat) and the difference was amazing. Wouldn't risk removing the down pipe without getting it remapped.

I've got 243bhp on a newage blob WRX from a Blitz back box/middle decat pipe and a bigger intercooler...('clinic's rollers)

I wonder what the gains would be with a sports cat (dp) and a remap...
Old 27 April 2006, 10:33 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

I haven't taken any cats out yet, just fitted an H&S backbox and Magnex straight through centre (removing the resonator), fitted a new panel filter and had it remapped at Powerstation.

Made 265bhp and 256 lb/ft torque.

I've got a lagged decat down pipe and decat up pipe to go on, with a map tweak on the rollers I should be looking at 280bhp+ and a good increase in torque.

Happy days.
Old 27 April 2006, 10:44 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I've just had mine remapped today after a full decat, also had an uprated fuel pump to be honest it has made a good increase especially in the midrange
Old 27 April 2006, 10:54 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you all know what I think ................

Re-mapps are an expensive, VERY expensive, waste of money ....... now they wear DetCans to try and make it look ever-so special and high tech. its utter bollox - change a few streams of DATA in the ECU Map?? **** easy with a laptop and correct lead and program.

Shouldn't cost more than £30 ..... and thats the truth!!

Pete
Old 27 April 2006, 10:55 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Your not dead then.
(see earlier thread)

Originally Posted by pslewis
Well, you all know what I think ................

Re-mapps are an expensive, VERY expensive, waste of money ....... now they wear DetCans to try and make it look ever-so special and high tech. its utter bollox - change a few streams of DATA in the ECU Map?? **** easy with a laptop and correct lead and program.

Shouldn't cost more than £30 ..... and thats the truth!!

Pete
Old 27 April 2006, 10:57 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

Jesus Pete, I ALMOST agree with you

I wish remaps were £30...

How's your chest Got any crushing chest pains running into your jaw/left arm
Old 27 April 2006, 11:35 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Taking the fact that they are "only" changing a relatively small amount of data on a chip with a laptop and the relevant interfaces, yes it's true that the material value of a remap is poor. I'll leave the mappers themselves to put forth the arguments about the skill and experience of knowing what data to change and how, cost of licensing the software to cover R&D etc. I'll just comment that you'd think that if it was really that easy and really only £30 worth of work, wouldn't someone have started doing it for say £300 and get a lot of business / profit by majorly undercutting everyone else?

Either way, taken from the context of power, torque and "drivability" gained per £ spent, they are still a hell of a lot better value than most engine mods you care to mention. There aren't many other tuning items where you can get that significant an improvement to engine performance - with no significant bad side effects - for that little money.

Quick Reply: why does every one say after de-cat you reed a re-map??????