Driving Techniques

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2006, 12:07 PM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving Techniques

Anyone use them?

Having cricked my neck on more than one occasion (and having to performing an emergency stop whilst left foot breaking which lead to me staling) I now use left foot breaking ever day

However, WTF is heel and toeing?? Evo tryed to explain it but what does it mean in the real world?
Old 27 April 2006, 12:23 PM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by terzo204
Anyone use them?

Having cricked my neck on more than one occasion (and having to performing an emergency stop whilst left foot breaking which lead to me staling) I now use left foot breaking ever day

However, WTF is heel and toeing?? Evo tryed to explain it but what does it mean in the real world?
It means using your heal to brake while you blip the throttle when changing gear with your toe. What it does is match the revs of the engine/gearbox to the speed of the car. Its what your syncro does however matching manually creates a real smooth gear change with little loss of revs.
Old 27 April 2006, 12:42 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by terzo204
Anyone use them?

You use left foot braking every day?

Why?
Old 27 April 2006, 12:49 PM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
You use left foot braking every day?

Why?
Fair point. It's a little bit stupid as I could be caught out, but Picking your line and left foot breaking in the clio (the everyday car) makes the drive more challenging/fun
Old 27 April 2006, 02:03 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

H&T is to match the drive train with engine to stop the driven wheels locking.

Left foot braking, it has many uses, the main one is to balance the car during cornering and can have excellent results on lap times if you know how to use it and conditions are right. Can also be used to build boost on turbo cars but not going to be good for the brakes.

To be honest neither are much use on the road unless you are going for a proper blat down a deserted (private) road Out of the two I use H&T in the wet as my car has LSD and is RWD and can lock up in the wet.

If you want to learn these techniques properly you need to spend some time with an instructor. Take a look at www.cadence.co.uk

But for road driving you would be much better to learn advanced road craft such as overtaking, urban vs rural techniques, car control etc
Old 27 April 2006, 03:21 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy.downes
It means using your heal to brake while you blip the throttle when changing gear with your toe. What it does is match the revs of the engine/gearbox to the speed of the car. Its what your syncro does however matching manually creates a real smooth gear change with little loss of revs.
Surely that's the wrong way round

I use the ball of the foot on the brake, and shift the heel across to the accelerator to blip the throttle. It does help to make down-shifting smoother in everyday driving, and well as when pressing on.
Old 27 April 2006, 04:12 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Toes cover the brake. Then depending on how big your feet are and the setup of the accelerator your heel / mid sole area for gas (race drivers can often use the outside edge of their heel between their small toe and ankle IYSWIM). Modern road cars have hanging pedals too, which means you cant use your heel so much..

Trending Topics

Old 27 April 2006, 04:15 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...nd+toe&pl=true

Only thing I can find right now, I have a great clip of Hyla Breese driving an Elise with a camera in the pedal box showing heel and toe.
Old 27 April 2006, 04:43 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy.downes
Do you walk like a duck?
Old 27 April 2006, 05:30 PM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
H&T is to match the drive train with engine to stop the driven wheels locking.

Left foot braking, it has many uses, the main one is to balance the car during cornering and can have excellent results on lap times if you know how to use it and conditions are right. Can also be used to build boost on turbo cars but not going to be good for the brakes.

To be honest neither are much use on the road unless you are going for a proper blat down a deserted (private) road Out of the two I use H&T in the wet as my car has LSD and is RWD and can lock up in the wet.

If you want to learn these techniques properly you need to spend some time with an instructor. Take a look at www.cadence.co.uk

But for road driving you would be much better to learn advanced road craft such as overtaking, urban vs rural techniques, car control etc
Thanks!

I tend to use left foot breaking to balance the car when at travelling at speed over a bumpy surface and when needing to break without shifting down.

I am keen to lear about driving techniques to exploit the true ability of my scoob. A lot of peaple on here think that to go faster you need better BHP and this is not always the case.

Billythekid - your knowledge in this area suggests to me you have had driver training yourself. Have you been on any courses?