STi 6 Front Lip
18 Inch Prodrive Alloys

The bits they couldn't see :
Whiteline Suspension Mods
Full Stainless Decat
VF28 Turbo
Apexi Power FC ECU
330mm Brake Conversion

The £6.5K was offered against a 06 STi demonstrator marked up at £24,495. If I wanted the Prodrive pack, then another £1,700. So £26,195 in total.

Considering my car is pushing out 320BHP, I think the Prodrive pack for sure would need to go on.

I only popped in for some parts and a 06 STi brochure, but got a test drive out of it......

Needles to say, I'm not going to let mine go for £6,500 and pay them a few hundred quid shy of £20,000. Not to mention being tied in to a 3-year service contract to maintain the warranty.

Oh! and on the test drive the salesman asked me if mine was a 6-Speed, doh! and when he tried to price is up, he was looking for a UK Spec STi
Old 27 April 2006, 08:32 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott,

Thats is pretty much the same reason that I have't changed my MY00, i know i would get offered a stupid PX price on it.
Old 27 April 2006, 09:01 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

How much were you expecting?
Old 27 April 2006, 09:12 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They have a standard 'V' reg with 42,000 mile on it, up at £9,995. I didn't look at it, but I'm pretty sure the bodywork on mine would be as-new in comparision.

If I put the standard ECU, Turbo and Cats back on, I think you could safely expect them to put mine up for at least £10,995.

How much profit do they expect to make. Dealers used to want about £1,500, now it would appear they want at least £3,500.
Old 27 April 2006, 09:24 AM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scott.T
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9.../IMGP1765a.jpg

The bits that were obviouse to the dealer :
UK Spec
'X' Plate
37,500 miles
3 Owners (me for 3 years)
Prodrive WRC Spoiler
STi 6 Front Lip
18 Inch Prodrive Alloys

The bits they couldn't see :
Whiteline Suspension Mods
Full Stainless Decat
VF28 Turbo
Apexi Power FC ECU
330mm Brake Conversion

The £6.5K was offered against a 06 STi demonstrator marked up at £24,495. If I wanted the Prodrive pack, then another £1,700. So £26,195 in total.

Considering my car is pushing out 320BHP, I think the Prodrive pack for sure would need to go on.

I only popped in for some parts and a 06 STi brochure, but got a test drive out of it......

Needles to say, I'm not going to let mine go for £6,500 and pay them a few hundred quid shy of £20,000. Not to mention being tied in to a 3-year service contract to maintain the warranty.

Oh! and on the test drive the salesman asked me if mine was a 6-Speed, doh! and when he tried to price is up, he was looking for a UK Spec STi
Thats a lovely looking classic youve got there - one of the best ones ive seen for ages - a credit to you sir!!!
Old 27 April 2006, 09:26 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

As far as they are concerned your car is damaged goods. It's been modded and not with their stuff.

I recently P/X'd my 01 WRX it was standard 38k and got £10K.
Most dealers will be a little reluctant to pay top dollar for a "modded" car.

They will site things like "added stress on the engine" and "non approved parts", irrespective of what you say. No doubt someone will argue the point on here but that's my experience.
Old 27 April 2006, 10:22 AM
*AL*
Scooby Regular

Dealers are not really bothered if it has mods or not............they just look up the trade price and adjust on condition and miles.

Trending Topics

Old 27 April 2006, 10:44 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
As far as they are concerned your car is damaged goods. It's been modded and not with their stuff.

I recently P/X'd my 01 WRX it was standard 38k and got £10K.
Most dealers will be a little reluctant to pay top dollar for a "modded" car.

They will site things like "added stress on the engine" and "non approved parts", irrespective of what you say. No doubt someone will argue the point on here but that's my experience.
It's not damaged goods.
The only mods they saw were the Prodrive/Subaru goodies i.e Genuine P-WRC's, Prodrive rear spoiler, STi Front Spoiler and colour coded skirts.

That's what their price was based on. The fact that it's running 320BHP, a different Turbo and Apexi ECU didn't come into the equation or was even mentioned.

As far as they were aware it was a standard UK car with Subaru/Prodrive extra's.

They did ask if it was a 'Sunday Car' as it was so clean and commented that they could not fault it and that it was in showroom condition.

I'm sure if they were to sell it they would 'up' the price due to the Prodrive extra's. They certainly did when I was looking at MY99/00's 3 years ago.
Old 27 April 2006, 10:55 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Scott, the Dealers (in majority) want a standard car as it's far easier for them to sell. Even official upgrades like the Prodrive wheels, spolier and STI front lip count against you come tradein thesedays.

I was offered £8.5K for my RB5. The Salesman sold me the car originally back in 99 and he said that I should put it back to how it left the showroom back then.

If I were you I'd sell all your bits seperately and then trade-in the basic car. You'll get at least an extra £1500 on the extras alone.
Old 27 April 2006, 11:01 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Playing Devils Advocate:-

And at the end of the day you have a 6yr old car, so is a potential buyer going to pay £10K for one from a Dealer when they could get a 3yr old WRX for the same money?
Old 27 April 2006, 11:02 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Our local Dealer logs into Scoobynet regularly and watches the forums.
The issue that I wanted to raise was that you have said the car is modded and they will find out unless you remove everything.

The implecations to the dealer if the car is subsequently bought by someone else and god forbid is involved in a crump and the mods are not declared or know about. Litigation????

Slightly off thread I know but............

The added costs post PX to the Franchise dealers for onward sale are Warranty, service before sale, MOT, haggling etc, these are the hidden costs, rubbish I know and it does not justify the increase in price

My mate has the same MY and model as you bought from a Subaru Dealer in November for £9995, Warrantied etc and was offered £6500 on a P/X by the same dealer only 3 months later!!!!!!!!!

You will never get what you want for your little precious. Unless another Scoobynut wants it. Hope you get what you want. Goodluck
Old 27 April 2006, 11:03 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Considering the looks, mods, low mileage etc... of your car, why would you want to spend £20K to get something uglier and slower, then have to keep it standard and not be able to mod it to your liking for 3 years ??? ( Essentially driving exactly the same car as every other person who's gone in and bought a new STi ).

Personally I'd keep the car you've got, its got loads of miles left in it and you've got it set up how you want, you're not going to lose loads in depreciation, and if you're worried about it 'only' being an X plate, stick a £250 private on on there.

In fact - wait 18 months, then buy an 06 Sti, the amount it will have depreciated will be about the same as the dealer offered you part ex for your classic - that way you get both cars !
Old 27 April 2006, 11:07 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

That's what the book price is for the car...so you can't knock the dealer for asking £6.5K part ex, as that is the trade in value....Blame Glass's

Nice car though presuming it's as good in the flesh. Just don't go thinking it's worth too much. It would sell for £8-8.5K (advertise at 9K ono )...take off the mods, to make a few more quid on eBay beacuse it makes little difference to the cars value....There are too many overpriced scoobs in autotrader as it is.

Last edited by ALi-B; 27 April 2006 at 11:12 AM.
Old 27 April 2006, 11:07 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
Scott, the Dealers (in majority) want a standard car as it's far easier for them to sell. Even official upgrades like the Prodrive wheels, spolier and STI front lip count against you come tradein thesedays.

I was offered £8.5K for my RB5. The Salesman sold me the car originally back in 99 and he said that I should put it back to how it left the showroom back then.

If I were you I'd sell all your bits seperately and then trade-in the basic car. You'll get at least an extra £1500 on the extras alone.
When I was looking 3 years ago, dealers were adding considerable sums to the asking price if they had any Prodrive add-on's. Almost to the point of adding the Prodrive options new price to the asking price.

I don't even want to sell it. I only went in there for a STi 8 intercooler bracket and a few weather strip clips.
I honestly don't know what I'd replace it with........

Besides I've just stuck a new set of Prodrive P-FF7's on it

It may be 6 years old but if someone wants a 'Real' Subaru then it's certainly one of the last registered.
Old 27 April 2006, 11:14 AM
wizgti
Scooby Regular

Just to make everybody feel slightly better. I just had my 10k service at my local dealer and noticed that they still have my old car ( non scooby) on sale for 1k less than they gave me in px .

Tiny bit of revenge for us

Ta
Andrew
Old 27 April 2006, 11:15 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
Our local Dealer logs into Scoobynet regularly and watches the forums.
The issue that I wanted to raise was that you have said the car is modded and they will find out unless you remove everything.

The implecations to the dealer if the car is subsequently bought by someone else and god forbid is involved in a crump and the mods are not declared or know about. Litigation????
Too right I would remove most of them. The only mods left would be the Front/Rear spoiler, maybe the wheels and maybe the back box.

But as mentioned above, and in the 1st thread. I only went in there for a few parts and a brochure.
Old 27 April 2006, 11:18 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
Considering the looks, mods, low mileage etc... of your car, why would you want to spend £20K to get something uglier and slower, then have to keep it standard and not be able to mod it to your liking for 3 years ??? ( Essentially driving exactly the same car as every other person who's gone in and bought a new STi ).

Personally I'd keep the car you've got, its got loads of miles left in it and you've got it set up how you want, you're not going to lose loads in depreciation, and if you're worried about it 'only' being an X plate, stick a £250 private on on there.

In fact - wait 18 months, then buy an 06 Sti, the amount it will have depreciated will be about the same as the dealer offered you part ex for your classic - that way you get both cars !
Exactly...............
Old 27 April 2006, 11:20 AM
BLACK V5
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by wizgti
Just to make everybody feel slightly better. I just had my 10k service at my local dealer and noticed that they still have my old car ( non scooby) on sale for 1k less than they gave me in px .

Tiny bit of revenge for us

Ta
Andrew
No. that just means they made so much on the one they sold you they can afford to sell your old one at a loss.
Old 27 April 2006, 11:26 AM
wizgti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BLACK V5
No. that just means they made so much on the one they sold you they can afford to sell your old one at a loss.
I bought my 05 stippp ex demo with 125 miles on it for £22k in august last year - they sacked the salesman afterwards for selling it so cheap! I looked round and most other dealers we're selling them for £25k+ and privately they we're £23-£24k with at least 10,000 miles on them!
So I don't think this was the case!
Old 27 April 2006, 11:58 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Realistically, the dealer wil have to add VAT and a fee to clean/check etc. the car, so before 'profit' it would need to sell for over £8k, even if you only have £6.5k. Crazy I know
Old 27 April 2006, 12:30 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
Realistically, the dealer wil have to add VAT and a fee to clean/check etc. the car, so before 'profit' it would need to sell for over £8k, even if you only have £6.5k. Crazy I know
Judging by the rest of their cars on the forecourt, they certainly wouldn't have to clean it. They would probably have to dirty it up a bit and put a few pin dents in the doors

In order to maximise profit, don't they usually leave the checking to the new owner i.e if he don't spot it we won't fix it.
Old 27 April 2006, 12:51 PM
Daniel-S
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
Playing Devils Advocate:-

And at the end of the day you have a 6yr old car, so is a potential buyer going to pay £10K for one from a Dealer when they could get a 3yr old WRX for the same money?
My point mate as well

No offence meant to anybody that is a lovely classic but just look at the equivelant prices here

http://pistonheads.com/sales/74723.htm

http://pistonheads.com/sales/73587.htm

http://www.enginetuning.net/news_item.asp?ID=108
Old 27 April 2006, 01:09 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

I dont even bother using Traders cars as price reference ...Ive seen cars sit on their forcourts for literally years!!!

A good rule of thumb is expect to lose 50% every three years
Old 27 April 2006, 01:11 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gpssti4

VAT on used cars works differently. Scheme called 'margin vat'. They only pay VAT on the profit element of the sale.
Old 27 April 2006, 01:19 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

I'd have to say remove every single mod you can and then sell (if you were going to sell that is). As we say, regardless of whether the mods and Prodrive etc or not, just look at the amount of brand new cars Subaru try to sell with Prodrive parts attached and they are still not selling. As any dealer will do is look at the standard price and 'maybe' increase it a bit for things that are aesthetic like wheels or a spoiler, but they will not increase the price for things that a) cannot be seen, because just because you and I know what they effect is, many do not and b) more additional things means any warranty they sell with the car, more potential to go wrong, and of course, most things they will try to fix in their own workshop - so a boost gauge that stops working means they have to fix it, even though they are not used to fixing it.

Far better to return most or all to standard as the cost of selling the parts on ebay and the money gained will far outweigh the small increases in money offered by the dealer.

Don;t you love it when you see people selling cars on ebay or Autotrader with all these mods, and they expect the car to sell with a large premium - if it sells at all. Strange mentality....
Old 27 April 2006, 01:22 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Car looks lovely. Cant see why you would want to change?
Old 27 April 2006, 01:34 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

my thoughts exactly.
Old 27 April 2006, 01:45 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
Car looks lovely. Cant see why you would want to change?
I don't.....
But if a salesman offers you a drive in an 06 STi, you don't say no now do you .
But obviousley after the drive, he tried 'very poorley' to sell it to me.

He even tried to book my wife in for a test drive (of the car that is).
She won't even drive mine let alone a £25K STi.

The only person I think he sold it to was my son. But then he is only 5
Old 27 April 2006, 04:38 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Yep I'd agree with most - keep the classic.

If you trade in and add £20k to get the MY06, you'll probably end up trading that in for something else in a year or two and only get offered £6500 for that the way the depreciation is going with scoobs
Old 27 April 2006, 07:26 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Nice looking motor mate,sales people know ****, all they know is what they read. To get a price they read their little pricing guide, thats why it's best you go down your local news agent and get a used price guide and find out how much there going to kick you before you get there, it's a standard guide they all use.