Sponsored by:

Colour coding cost

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2000, 05:04 PM
Peter L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My MY99 is in the body shop for a couple of things and I thought I might as well get my side skirts and wing mirrors colour coded.

They are quoting £300 - does it sound reasonable?

Cheers
Peter
Old 18 October 2000, 05:12 PM
Moss
Scooby Regular

Just a word of warning Peter. I did this to my old MY97 and the side skirts were a disaster. If you suffer stone chips in your area don't bother they end up looking horrible in no time. I had mine done professionally with all the prep and primers - but it still came off! Wing mirrors were OK. Just think about it carefully first?

Moss

By the way - £300 sounds pretty cheap, I paid £450 over 2 years ago

[This message has been edited by Moss (edited 18 October 2000).]
Old 18 October 2000, 05:18 PM
adelasalle
Scooby Regular

Smile

£300 is pretty cheap, I got quote £400.. and also have been warned by RB5 owners that side skirts suffer badly from stone chips.. but saying that, I just changed MY00 turbo to a P1 and its side skirts are OK at the moment, but then it is only three weeks old.. but I have done 2500 miles in it already...

Cheers, Alex
Old 18 October 2000, 05:18 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Peter,

To give you some idea;
My skirts,front spoiler etc was colour coded new from Prodrive. Unfortunately some paint has started flaking from the side skirts, the front bumper and spoiler is completely chipped to death and my back bumper is yellow from flameage, oh and one of the side skirts was attacked by the kitty litter at dono.

To have the front bumper/rear bumper/side skirts/front spoiler/rear sills/PIAA spotlight covers and a '99 spec front grille re-sprayed I'm paying £350. I still thought this was steep considering I'm removing and re-fitting all the bits and dropping them off to the spray shop. This is the cost purely for painting. He originally wanted £400. I feel I'm being a little ripped off but I know the quality of his work and I'm sure he'll do an excellent job.

The price you've been quoted doesn't sound too far off. (particularly as prices for materials etc. has gone up quite a lot recently).

Nito
ps. I don't find the side skirts suffer too badly. I've had this done on both my Imprezas and they've been fine. The only place they get attacked is directly behind the wheels on the splash guard bit but that's to be expected. It doesn't really notice though. It depends how much care the sprayer takes too. My first Impreza wasn't sprayed very well, the line that runs down the side skirt wasn't well finished off and had run marks etc. I've just spent an hour with the sprayer while he told me all about how they had to be keyed properly along the ridge etc to stop it from lifting. He's also applying a bit of plastisiser to the front lip to prevent the stones from doing quite so much damage. I'd definately recommend having them done though, if they do a **** job take it back!!

[This message has been edited by NITO (edited 18 October 2000).]
Old 18 October 2000, 05:31 PM
beatle
Scooby Regular

Wink

I imported a tirbo from holland 3 months ago and it was a £130 option to have the side skirts colour coded
Old 18 October 2000, 07:58 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

I havent had any paint chips on my side or rear skirts, although some orange has appeared on the front bumper inserts.
Make sure they detexture the side and rear skirts, if they dont, it'll look crap and dull.

300 notes is very reasonable, some subaru dealers charge 475+VAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sunil

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 18 October 2000).]
Old 19 October 2000, 07:51 PM
SimonM
Scooby Regular

I paid £450 for my colour coding including the door handles. I have had no probloem with paint coming off except for the bottom of the wing mirrors where I have repeatedly folded them back to put the car in the garage.

SimonM

Old 20 October 2000, 12:41 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Another 130 quid (+VAT) from Holland job here. Mine's a year old now, and they are perfect despite being through a few gravelly bits.

Old 20 October 2000, 08:39 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Smile

Another Terzo owner with no problems with his colour coding
Make sure you get the door handles done as well.