Sponsored by:

Newbie! - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2006, 08:31 PM
Bicco
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie! - Questions

Hi all, firstly nice site, plenty of usefull info!

Righty my story - I am looking to buy a scooby within the next couple of months, but having spent my motoring life so far driving Vauxhalls, i have little idea of what im looking for! I test drove a 52 plate UK spec WRX on Sunday and was mightly impressed with handleing, interior and overall build quality of the car comparred with what i am used to, however the straight line speed was nothing to write home about. The dealer where i got the test drive from told me that there was an option of a Pro Drive kit that would take engine output up to around 260bhp and transform the drive.
Now having done alittle more reasearch i am wondering what my best option would be, i have a budget of around £12K max, so could get hold of a alightly older STi, or would it be worth keeping with the newer car and going for the prodrive pack and then maybe some aftermarket modifications to get the car somewhere near 300bhp.

Any help and info greatly apprecaited, i really am out of my depth here! Also any usefull sites with something of an Impreza history or buyers guide could be usefull!

Thanx, Mark.
Old 24 April 2006, 08:33 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

www.sidc.co.uk and go to faq link m8
Old 24 April 2006, 08:53 PM
charshaun
Scooby Regular

For 13k, I can get you a P1, mint condition, 20k on clock. Untouched. Urs for the taking!!! Very Sexy Car!!! .
Old 24 April 2006, 09:03 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

£12k will get you an 03 (blobeye) WRX with PPP (265bhp, 0-60 4.8s, 155mph) or an 02 STi. The STi benefits from having the better Suretrack diff, faster steering rack, slightly better suspension, uprated engine internals able to cope with more power and some cosmetic upgrades. I personally prefer the 03 WRX PPP to the 02 STi. I much prefer the 5sp 'box over the 6sp.
Old 24 April 2006, 10:02 PM
antoine
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Bicco. Welcome to the site. Working for a Subaru dealership myself the Prodrive upgrade is well worth the money. A very noticeable increase in power and performance, and an aggresive exhaust note make all the difference with a wrx. Apart from maybe fitting a dump valve and a panel air filter I'd leave the rest of the engine as it is. Currently I am rebuilding an engine on a 53 Plate wrx, due to it producing 380bhp. This particular engine block with pistons was never designed to produce this power. (unless you upgrade them of course.) ie Forge Pistons etc. If you want 300bhp+ then I would definately buy the STi with PPP.
Old 24 April 2006, 10:48 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I can't believe someone who is rebuilding an engine and thus technically knowlegable and also works for Subaru advocates the fitment of a (presumably) VTA dump valve
Old 24 April 2006, 11:59 PM
Eckmcmann
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
I can't believe someone who is rebuilding an engine and thus technically knowlegable and also works for Subaru advocates the fitment of a (presumably) VTA dump valve
was thinking that myself mate
Old 25 April 2006, 07:17 PM
Bicco
Scooby Regular

Thanx for the response guys, spent all last nigth reading through the FAQ from the owners club!

Really can`t afford to go up to 13K, Gonna take me a while to make my mind up on this one i think!
I most likely wouldnt bother with a VTA dump valve, from experience with vauxhalls turbos, although the sound is addictive they tend to cause more grief than anything else!
The handelling of the WRX i test drove is far superior to anything i have driven in, so doesn`t really need to be any better than that, i don`t really attend many track days but i do enjoy the 1/4 mile strip down at Santa Pod pr Avon Park.
Out of curiosity, what would a WRX with PPP be like down the strip compared with an STi?
Old 25 April 2006, 07:23 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

WRX PPP is quicker to 60 than an STi (without PPP) due to the need for one less gear change, but in the mid range the STi will claw it back due to the torque being more useable with the shorter ratio's. You may be impressed with the standard handling, but you would be amazed how much better it can be. Even if you only put £160 or so into the rear ARB and droplinks you will be much happier.

Last edited by corradoboy; 25 April 2006 at 07:30 PM.
Old 25 April 2006, 08:54 PM
antoine
Scooby Regular

I've had a Bailey dump valve on my 99 impreza since I've had (2 years) and never had any problems. Well saying that just one MAF sensor.
Old 25 April 2006, 11:53 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by antoine
I've had a Bailey dump valve on my 99 impreza since I've had (2 years) and never had any problems. Well saying that just one MAF sensor.
And if you don't spot the symptoms of the MAF failing, which when your car runs erratically you might not, it could be just one engine
Old 26 April 2006, 10:47 PM
antoine
Scooby Regular

As somebody who has had over 5 years of experience as a technician of Scoobys, I think that there are risks of fitting anything aftermarket on any car. But if we were constantly worried about the risks of fitting anything onto a car, every car would be standard. There are a lot of 'what if's in the mechanics world! The trick is not to go OTT and to get everything fitted professionally.