Sponsored by:

Test drive; disappointing

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2006, 04:40 PM
Coup20VT
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drive; disappointing

Hi all, I test drove a WRX turbo at the weekend as I'm thinking about replacing my Fiat Coupe 20VT. It was a Y reg with 54,000 and 'Arfur' wanted £8,999.00 Im not an expert on Scoobies yet, but the one I test drove had 215bhp, or at least thats what 'Arfur Daily' told me. I must say, I wasn't overly impressed with the performance and would say that my coupe is faster. On hard acceleration, the car seemed a little hesitant at times and it looked like it may have had some accident damage to one side. However, this is not important as I had little intention of actually buying it, just wanted to see what they are like.

Even though I wasn't impressed with the performance, I loved the driving position, handling and looks. Oh yes, I still want one, with LOTS more power I can't wait to get my hands on one with serious power; an Sti is on the top of my list
Old 24 April 2006, 04:48 PM
robertdon777
Scooby Regular

Personally for £9K i'd look out for a classic shape with PPP fitted. You should get a MY00 for that with low mileage, low owners etc. This will be a much better experience than a standard Bug eye model. UK Turbo PPP MY00 = 240bhp and about 1230kg which will walk away from a standard Bug eye IMHO.

Rob
Old 24 April 2006, 04:51 PM
Coup20VT
Scooby Newbie

I quite agree, but my budget is more likely to be £12,000.00 thats including my car as a trade in.
Old 24 April 2006, 05:28 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

quite agree, but my budget is more likely to be £12,000.00 thats including my car as a trade in.
So the fiats worth £1k is it mate?.................................
dave
Old 24 April 2006, 05:37 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

For £12k you can easily get an 03 (blobeye, shape before current) WRX with PPP. This gives 0-60 in 4.8s and 155mph with 265bhp. I recently had MINE for sale at £12.4k but pulled it as I was sick of timewasters who only wanted to pay bottom buck for a top buck car. If you can find one like mine with similar spec you won't be disappointed. Power isn't everything, and the handling on my very well sorted car leaves most for dead on all but straight roads. The PPP is well worth having, although, as the age of the cars you are looking at are out of warranty there are many other mods which can/will give equal/more power. If they have anything other than PPP then ask on here, with as much detail as possible, to ascertain whether they are good mods or not (eg. dump valves and induction kits are usually a definate nono).

HTH, and welcome to SNet
Old 24 April 2006, 05:50 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by corradoboy
For £12k you can easily get an 03 (blobeye, shape before current) WRX with PPP. This gives 0-60 in 4.8s and 155mph with 265bhp. I recently had MINE for sale at £12.4k but pulled it as I was sick of timewasters who only wanted to pay bottom buck for a top buck car. If you can find one like mine with similar spec you won't be disappointed. Power isn't everything, and the handling on my very well sorted car leaves most for dead on all but straight roads. The PPP is well worth having, although, as the age of the cars you are looking at are out of warranty there are many other mods which can/will give equal/more power. If they have anything other than PPP then ask on here, with as much detail as possible, to ascertain whether they are good mods or not (eg. dump valves and induction kits are usually a definate nono).

HTH, and welcome to SNet
Hi mate,

Just out of curiosity, how much were the timewasters offering? I seem to remember yours being very fairly priced and a very nice looking example too! People will always try it on for a bit of a discount, but was it really that bad?

Ns04
Old 24 April 2006, 06:14 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The worst was a Mercedes/Smart dealer who thought it was worth £8.3k If my G/F hadn't been there he'd have been through the plate glass window Best dealer offer was £10k, but only on a new Scoob. Best private offer was £11k. Told them all to **** off and am very happy I did, as I simply love my car and it was too god to let any of those skinflints have it. May still sell, but only if someone makes a good offer.

Trending Topics

Old 24 April 2006, 06:26 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by corradoboy
The worst was a Mercedes/Smart dealer who thought it was worth £8.3k If my G/F hadn't been there he'd have been through the plate glass window Best dealer offer was £10k, but only on a new Scoob. Best private offer was £11k. Told them all to **** off and am very happy I did, as I simply love my car and it was too god to let any of those skinflints have it. May still sell, but only if someone makes a good offer.
Shocking!! Glad you kept it!!

That said, if you go into a Mercedes dealer with a jap rice rocket, some would say, "what did you expect?"

Ns04
Old 24 April 2006, 06:31 PM
Coup20VT
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by misty
So the fiats worth £1k is it mate?.................................
dave
Very funny Should be approx £3-3500, thats if they dont test drive it, if they did, then I might get 50p
Old 24 April 2006, 06:33 PM
Coup20VT
Scooby Newbie

[QUOTE=corradoboy]For £12k you can easily get an 03 (blobeye, shape before current) WRX with PPP. This gives 0-60 in 4.8s and 155mph with 265bhp. I recently had MINE for sale at £12.4k but pulled it as I was sick of timewasters who only wanted to pay bottom buck for a top buck car. If you can find one like mine with similar spec you won't be disappointed. Power isn't everything, and the handling on my very well sorted car leaves most for dead on all but straight roads. The PPP is well worth having, although, as the age of the cars you are looking at are out of warranty there are many other mods which can/will give equal/more power. If they have anything other than PPP then ask on here, with as much detail as possible, to ascertain whether they are good mods or not (eg. dump valves and induction kits are usually a definate nono).

Thanks mate, that sounds more like it: 0-60 4.8s, 155mph and 265bhp
Old 24 April 2006, 06:45 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

One HERE with PPP, sunroof and leather for £12.5k