Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost of running

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2001, 10:16 AM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is like asking "how long is a piece of string", but I need to have a *rough* idea of how much running a new WRX is going to cost me. I know how much they cost and how much my insurance is, but what I need to know is the following;
1) How much does it cost to fill it up from empty to full?
2) On average how many miles can you get from a full tank? (driving both conservatively and foot to the floor)
3) How much per year do you spend on maintenance (not mods,tuning etc, just required servicing as per the manual)
4) How much will a set of new tyres cost me, (the same as the ones that came standard with the car), and roughly how many miles should they last for?
I hope you can answer these for me as I am in the process of figuring out if I can afford this car or not, and I don't know anyone with a MY01 to ask!
Cheers
Dan
Old 25 October 2001, 10:51 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Hiya Dan
Fuel is an easy one, we will work this out on running super unleaded as its better and making it optimax at 77p per litre, so the cost is 77x60 (as your car has a 60ltr tank)
Total cost = £46.20 for a full tank.
Tyres will cost approx 100-120 quid each (maybe slightly cheaper but depends on what rubber your fitting to your car).
Service costs for the first year at under 15k per year will be around 450 (this will include the annual body wax too but may vary slightly but put this much away anyway) oh and thats 2 services per year as per the manual.
The second year may be a little more as the 22.5k is quite cheap but the 30k will cost you a little more (300-400 quid) bearing in mind that its 6months/7.5k mile intervals.
Year 3 is another big one, you have the 45k servce so put around 700 quid aside that year for servicing as i believe there is also another body check at this time.
Hope that this helps

Tony
Old 25 October 2001, 10:53 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Dunno how long your tyres will last for thou depends how you drive but look at around 15k miles on average but you can get upto 30k out of em thou

Tony
Old 25 October 2001, 11:02 AM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Hi Tony,
Thanks very much, I didn't realise that they needed servicing so often
I'm used to my 306 Diesel going for 12,000 or 12 months
I'll bear this in mind when budgeting for the year.

Old 25 October 2001, 11:10 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

If there is one thing that dirties the whole Impreza ownership thing (Apart from squeeks and rattles, juddery clutches and hesitation) it's running costs. From my experience they are as follows :

Set of tyres (Every 15,000 miles) : £450
Servicing (Needs to be serviced every 7,500 miles or 6 months whichever is sooner) : £500 a year
Fuel Economy : 22MPG although some people struggle to better 20MPG
Insurance : £615 this year (Through Hastings Direct) but was paying £870 last year.
Old 25 October 2001, 11:19 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

I think the servicing costs are reasonable for a performance car (NB: my MY00 has the cambelt service at 60k, so I assume the same for the new WRX?), but the real killer is consumables. I now have 52k on the clock and am on the fourth set of tyres, third set of front pads, third set of front discs and second set of rear pads. The other expensive things are mods and trackdays....
Old 25 October 2001, 11:54 AM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

Question

Tony (or anyone else)

I'm also sizing up the costs, a bit late as I've already ordered but never mind.

Could you break down the cost of the first years servicing a bit more, the reason I ask is that on the SIDC FAQ under servicing it states that

"Costs are approximately £90 for a six month service, with the annual inspection costing about £130. Some of the services after two to three years are more expensive, as timing belts and spark plugs (tricky access, apparently) require replacement."

Assuming the 6mnth is oil, filter and some checks and the 1st annual oil, filter, plugs and some more checks (oh yeh and the body wax you mentioned), why has it cost around £450?

Are the prices on SIDC out of date or just very optimistic?

Cheers,

boultsy.
Old 25 October 2001, 01:18 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Wink

Here are my service costs so far (Just had 18 month service). These are from memory so are not exact (But close enough).

1000 Mile service : £45 (Labour is free)
7500 Mile/6 Months Service : £100
15000 Mile/12 Months Service : £300 (Includes the Bodywork Check)
22500 Mile/18 Months Service : £100

After this it starts to get a little expensive These are approximate costs as I haven't got that far yet!!

30000 Mile/24 Months Service : around £400-£450
37500 Mile/30 Months Service : £100
45000 Mile/36 Months Service : £500-£600 (Guestimate)
Old 25 October 2001, 01:33 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

The cost at 450 quid is about what it cost me for the year (i have a euro import so i paid for labour on my first service) but dont take everything that sidc into account as service costs vary depending where u live.
These are not cheap cars to run and they do get more expensive the older they get but after 3 years your costs should drop back down and start again with the next service at 100 quid and then going up after that (another body service).

The dealer will give you the best prices but they will cost you

Tony
Old 25 October 2001, 01:36 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

You also forgot Scoobynet/SIDC cost of modifying the car.

Once you start reading here, how the PPP/AP 6 pots/Leda/etc etc etc makes SUCH a massive difference and Subaru should have put it on the car in the first place you'll show the first symptoms of modders envy.

That feeling that 'IF only I had such and such on my car it'd be so much better than it was before'

The next stage is going to meets and, looking at someones car and going "ooh that makes it look/sound/go/stop much better, how much?"

You are then told how much and you think "If I sell the wife/cat/house/PC/my soul i'll be able to get it"

In my experience the running costs are slight compared to what you'll want to spend on it, to make it your ultimate impreza.

When I first got mine in December 1999 I thought, no way will I want to change a thing! This car is awesome. Then I noticed in spring/summer the power was slightly down because of the temperature so I bought an intercooler splitter thingy for 25 quid. Ohh that works ok

Went to Brands trackday, and heard the scooby with backbox at full blat for the first time. OHH that sounds good, must have New backbox, but wait a sec somehow the car feels a little slow now.

Oh wow a prodrive performance pack will make a lot of difference and it comes with a backbox. Then it'll be my ultimate scoob. So in Dec 2000 on goes a PPP. WOW WOW WOW. This is superb!!!

Then went out a few times round bedford with DockJock. Oh WOW his car really stops. It's so much faster round a track than a standard P1 because of it's brakes. Must have.. Brakes!!

Hmm best brakes around are AP 6 pots. Oh yes to fit them on I need 17" wheels too. Think about it some more. Then dealer mention i'll let you have PD7's and 2nd hand AP's for 2 grand. Oh WOW WOW this car really goes and stops REALLY well. But now the car needs suspension to do the brakes justice. Needs new suspension... What else can I sell to get it.

etc etc etc etc

Old 25 October 2001, 03:35 PM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

Wink

JoeyD, Tony and Neil

Thanks guys thats great, good to see where all that hard earned cash is going to go and as with Tony mine will be an import so upto an extra 50 for the first 1000 miler. As with Danny I was used to 12000 service intervals but when I started saving for this car about 2 years ago, that's how long I've been waiting, (so 6mnths delivery on an import didn't really phase me) I decided then that I wasn't going to worry about the running costs just like to know what I'll need that's all.

Neil I know exactly what you mean just been reading posts on here over the last month or so and I've got the bug before I've even got the car let alone going to meets etc. One thing that may be a blessing in disguise (although I've had a moan about it) is not being able to have an approved PPP and the restriction on other mods due to the fact that it's a euro import, so maybe I'll have a "cheap" 1st yesr of motoring and then take it form there.

BTW thanks to Danny for asking the question in the first place.

All the best,

boultsy.
Old 25 October 2001, 05:23 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Boultsy,
I also am in the process of ordering a Euro Import, what's this you mentioned about not being able to have an approved ppp?
Do UK dealers not like fitting them to Euro's?
I've spent all afternoon adding up the pro's & con's of getting a WRX and I think I'll just scrape by.
I'm giving up a Co.car and taking the money instead so I don't mind paying £150 of my own dosh extra per month to have the car I like
I know exactly what you mean Neil about upgrades, I am contemplating upgrading the wheels already and I haven't even got the thing yet, God know's what I'll be like when I finally get it.
I almost forgot, does a Euro import car come with a Cat1 alarm? if not how much do these cost as I haven't included that in the cost.
Thanks again
Danny
Old 25 October 2001, 09:24 PM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

Alright Danny, yeh there's been some discussion about this.

Basically Yes, UK dealers will fit the PPP but it will invalidate any non UK warranty or the part associated with the mod, do a search on warranty (there's apparently a number of different ways of spelling it, but I'm no dictionary)

Your car will have an imolibiser but not a CAT1 alarm so yeh you'll need to get one, can't think a price off the top of my head depends what you want.

Cheers,

Boultsy
Old 25 October 2001, 10:41 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

One of the major cost of running the Scoob will be depreciation - this should be considerably reduced because you're buying an import.

Servicing costs on my MY00 so far have been:-

First Service - £75 (you pay for the labour on an import)
7500 Service - £90
15000 Service - £140

I have never bothered with the body work inspection / service.

I got a Sigma M30 alarm for my MY00 import. This is the same alarm that Subaru UK fit to their official imports. It cost £275. Imports don't come supplied with locking wheel nuts (£20 from your local Scoob dealer).

[Edited by Ian E - 10/25/2001 10:42:06 PM]
Old 26 October 2001, 03:50 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dan
Perhaps a simple answer is about 70 pence per mile, unless you start modding it.

Hope it helps
Nick
Old 26 October 2001, 03:53 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Yup I would go along with 70 Pence per mile...

At 1000 miles a month that works out at £700 a month!!!!!!!!

I could probably get Taxis everywhere and still be better off a month...

Old 26 October 2001, 05:28 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well in the 17 months of owning my MY00 turbo ive had a/c fitted, PD7s with SO-2 rubber (215/40/17) protective strips fitted to the side of the car, quite alot of security (live in a high crime area ) PPP fitted, uprated Brembo 4pot brakes, cost me around 7k in 17months so works out about 450ish per month on bits for the car thats excluding fuel but is it worth it????
YUP

Tony (hmmmm whats after those bigger discs/new pads and scoobysport downpipe?? )