Sponsored by:

Ive just brought a STI V6 Coupe R

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2001, 07:12 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gents,

Picked up my STI v6 coupe r last night. First scooby, all I can say is "F**KING HELL" :-)

Several things though

1) Do all impreza sound like they misfire ? Ticks over lumpy. IS this normal ?? Im used to the silky smooth in line 6

2) Is ur 4-wheel drive system noisey ? First 4-wheel drive car so Isuppose Im just not used to it, but if I accelerate hard, but dont use the clutch properly, I can think a metal to metal shutte in the rear, like ht rear diff is being whacked into drive.

3) How do u adjust the angle of the head lights ? Looking down at the lights, from an open bonnet, I see a metal shaft coming out of the light, it has a a screw head and a nut like body, do I adjust this ?

4) Tyre pressures ??? I think they areeither 16 or 17 in wheels ?

5) Looking at the engine, slight left from centre, in the middle on the engine is a metal resivoir ?(sp). Yellow cap. What goes in here ?

6) Advice on the water spray ? leave it manual or auto ??

and finally .......

The round rotating power altering switch next to the gear stick, the one that adjust the amount of drive from the back to hte front. Can some explain that to me. What should I have it on ? on dry roads ? wet roads ? etc. Even when this switch is on 0, the car is still in 4 wheel mode ? yeah ???

Many thanks gents.

SBK
Old 25 October 2001, 07:48 AM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

Talking

Welcome aboard m8, only able to answer question 1...all scoobs
sound like this, well mine does anyway

CRAFT
Old 25 October 2001, 08:16 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi Simon

1, Yes, it's all to do with the flat four engine layout and the unequal lenght manifold.

2, That banging you heard is the diff 'winding up' and maybe even the exhaust clunking as you drop the clutch between changes - you can't do that with these cars. You have to be a bit smoother and slip the clutch a little. Full bore changes aren't quite as easy as in other cars.

3, The headlights are probably OK, it's just that they are poor to start with. You will need a double headlight conversion or perhaps better bulbs.

4, Tyre pressures, I think, are about 32ish all round but you'll get a lot less tyre wear at 35+ for lttle loss in grip. Try 40-45 on track - yes really!!!!

5, I think that's the power steering fluid bit.

6, Water spray is probably best left for the track as it is used up quickly, but as I don't have that perhaps someone else will answer it.

7, You've got to be careful with the diff control, too much one way and it could cause problems. Ther is a FAQ's page on the SIDC site that should answer most questions that you have. There's probably one around here somewhere as well!

Make sure you use Super unleaded fuel (SUL), come to the meets and have fun (but be really poor from now on).

F
Old 25 October 2001, 08:18 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Leave spray on auto.
Make sure the centre diff is not rolled forward...except in very slippery conditions I have mine full back - ie on the dash indicator it is green, in torrential rain I click it forward maybe 2 notches if I'm scared. You will get a nasty noise and a dead diff if you lock it up and try and go round corners.
Always run on SUL...japanese import is mapped for 100 ron, NUL can
kill your car. Get some octane booster and carry it in the boot for when u are caught somewhere SUL is unavailable.
Enjoy it, Type R;s are mental fun, the short gearing really makes them frantic!
Chuck
Old 25 October 2001, 08:21 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Simon,

I'll do my best:

1) Do all impreza sound like they misfire ? Ticks over lumpy. IS this normal ?? Im used to the silky smooth in line 6
All scoobs with standard exhaust headers sound "uneven" - this is the signature Scooby "burble"

2) Is ur 4-wheel drive system noisey ? First 4-wheel drive car so Isuppose Im just not used to it, but if I accelerate hard, but dont use the clutch properly, I can think a metal to metal shutte in the rear, like ht rear diff is being whacked into drive.
If you mean there is a kind of bang from the rear of the car when changing gear at high revs, then yes, this is normal (learn to be a bit smoother with your clutch )

3) How do u adjust the angle of the head lights ? Looking down at the lights, from an open bonnet, I see a metal shaft coming out of the light, it has a a screw head and a nut like body, do I adjust this ?
Sorry, I don't know as I've got a UK model...

4) Tyre pressures ??? I think they are either 16 or 17 in wheels ?
Experiment around the 30-33psi mark....

5) Looking at the engine, slight left from centre, in the middle on the engine is a metal resivoir ?(sp). Yellow cap. What goes in here ?
Power Steering resovoir

6) Advice on the water spray ? leave it manual or auto ??
Not sure (owning a UK) but I think you can leave it on Auto (but possibly switch it to manual when driving round town/poodling)

and finally .......

The round rotating power altering switch next to the gear stick, the one that adjust the amount of drive from the back to hte front. Can some explain that to me. What should I have it on ? on dry roads ? wet roads ? etc. Even when this switch is on 0, the car is still in 4 wheel mode ? yeah ???
Wind it all the way back and the car will be in rear bias mode (I think it may be 70-30 to the back). In the wet you may want to wind it forward one or two notches but be very careful, don't wind it further forward than this or you could screw your transmission (those settings are designed for loose surfaces like gravel and snow). This just changes the power distribution, you are always running in 4WD mode.

You could always do a search in Drivetrain for further info.

Matt
Old 25 October 2001, 08:23 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

And in the time it took to type that, half the board also responded...

Matt
Old 25 October 2001, 09:01 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Many thanks gents.

The car is the bollock, faster than my M3 evo, Supra TT. Even though my Supra will take over from about 120mph, but thats due to the scooby's gearing.

Whens the next West Sussex meet ? Love to meet up with you chaps.

How much are you lot paying for insurance ? My brother is paying £1350, BN16 postal address, no points, full no claims ?

I reckon he is being "fu**ed"
Old 25 October 2001, 11:06 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Hiya Simon
Even my PPP'd scoob is faster than an M3 evo but just make sure you run the car on SUL, optimax from shell is better than most as its 98.6ron and will give you more power than 97ron.
Wouldnt reccommend playing with the diff switch just yet, not until your use to the way the car handles and trust me dont brake in the corners, she will step out if your pushing it
You may find that you want to modify your car soon and the best place to start is with the brakes (and upgrade to 17's as the standard alloys are 16's) then go for a nice 330mm 4 or 6pot set up, either AP or Brembo as i rate these best (some others may rate differently thou)
Insurance is a bitch as it depends on age etc but i pay 1189 fully comp protected but i live in a high rated crime area and im 32 (well until 2moro )
Try to run the car up and down, it takes around 5 miles for the oil to warm up properly and dont just turn the engine off as it can fry the oil in the turbo, let it idle for a min or 2, the best thing for this is a Turbo timer, it will run your car down for you
Hope you have fun and dont try to do miracles before you learn to walk!! The subaru is a great car but she does bite if rubbed up the wrong way

Tony
Old 25 October 2001, 12:23 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

where did you bring it from?