Sponsored by:

Hello and Parking Ticket Dispute

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2006, 04:55 PM
Hustla
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello and Parking Ticket Dispute

Hello I hate to introduce my self to the board like this but I am hoping that someone on here might be able to help me. Today I have received a parking ticket off the Police for leaving my Impreza for a short time on the one way two lane road outside of my house. There are double yellow lines on this street however they are not crossed off at the ends of the road, and they are faded and broken. I have been parking my car like this for a year and I have never received a ticket before, many other residents of this street park their cars down this street in a similar fashion. I just think its odd to receive a parking ticket off a policeman, as the local traffic wardens just ignore our street as there is no resident or other parking in the area.

Would any one know if I have a right to dispute this ticket or am I best just bending over and taking it?

Old 21 April 2006, 05:11 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

there is a dispute system, not sure what the condition of the lines are, you may have a case, try posting pics, it may be a little easier to advise.

But i would have to say it would be a case hard getting to go in your favour TBH.
Old 21 April 2006, 05:12 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Not worth it mate.

Think about all that free parking you've had for the last twelve months and just hope if you park there again a traffic warden walks down rather than the police.

Not worth the stress and time of disputing IMO

Oh and welcom btw.........
Old 21 April 2006, 05:15 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

If the lines are not in full compliance of the 1991 Road Traffic Act then they may as well be pink or not there at all. Do some research, take some photographs and fight it, you will probably win. If the lines are not terminated by a solid yellow bar at 90˚ to the double line then they are not within the regulations. There was a TV show recently which highlighted many of these situations, it is also worth getting in touch with "hedgehog" on here as he is well clued up on traffic law.
Old 21 April 2006, 05:16 PM
Hustla
Scooby Newbie

Default Thanks

Cheers folks, I suppose at the end of the day its only £30 and if it goes to dispute in court it could cost a lot more... Nevermind.

Cheers for the advice.
Old 21 April 2006, 05:18 PM
Hustla
Scooby Newbie

Cheers Corradoboy I'll see if I can post some pics.
Old 21 April 2006, 05:27 PM
Hustla
Scooby Newbie

Default pics

Hope this works, I've never tried posting pictures before.

Trending Topics

Old 21 April 2006, 05:31 PM
Hustla
Scooby Newbie

Sorry I'm not sure if that worked this is the address:

http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?i...mage0113ud.jpg

Any help or advice would be appreciated, The lines do not end with a 90 degree line.
Old 21 April 2006, 07:21 PM
Crosstalk
Scooby Regular

Well that's pretty obviously double yellows to me, if I was from out of town I would not choose to park there... never mind whether they are stopped off with the correct perpendicular lines or the paint is cracking or not.
Old 21 April 2006, 07:30 PM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

i had a similar thing wer i just went for change, if they give out a parking ticket they should wait for 5 mins, i wrote to them then never heard anthing back, that was a year ago, so i aint paid it.

have also been told that the yellow lines can not be broken, so u should get away with it
Old 21 April 2006, 07:33 PM
nufc1892
Scooby Regular

or am I best just bending over and taking it?

[/QUOTE]
ohh eeerrr Daveyboy will be along soon
Old 21 April 2006, 08:47 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Hustla
Hello I hate to introduce my self to the board like this but I am hoping that someone on here might be able to help me.
You make it sound like a venture into Alan Sugar's boardroom

Your real name isn't Syed by any chance is it
Old 21 April 2006, 09:21 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The pic isn't loading up at work but if it's as I think and the lines don't conform then write to them explaining that the road marking aren't as prescribed in the 1991 Road Traffic Act and therefore this penalty cannot be upheld. Enclose photo's and I am certain you won't hear any more. They may then make the effort to get the lines re-done so they can try and get you at a later date though
Old 21 April 2006, 09:25 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Right, the pic just loaded, but I cannot see either end of the lines. If, as you say, the end lines don't comply then you can fight it and should win. The fact that the lines are worn and/or cracked is irrelevant as long as they can be easily distinguished as double yellows. It is if the lines do not conform that you need to ascertain. Do some research online for the 1991 Road Traffic Act, particularly on the prescribed road surface markings.
Old 21 April 2006, 09:59 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Not just as simple as the 1991 RTA.

The regulations are laid out in Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002. However, that is only a bit of it as you also need section 64(2) of the RTRA 1984 which is the legislation dictating that the lines must be as described in the regulations.

You also need two bits of case law if you are to be sure of a win and also to make it clear to them that you mean business they are: McLeod v Hamilton SLT 305 [1965] and Davies v Heatley.

Given an attack on all those fronts they don't have a leg to stand on if the lines are not exactly as described. I would guess, and it would certainly be the line I would take, that writing to them pointing out where the lines are described, the legislation that outlines their implementation and the case law to support this might be sufficient to make them realise you know what you are doing and to go away. I would guess they don't want a lot of publicity about this, I was looking at some double yellow lines today and discussing why you could park on them if you wished and I would say at least half of all double yellow lines in the country to not meet the requirements.

Why give then £30 when I've done all the hard work for you?
Old 21 April 2006, 10:09 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

^^^ Ain't he a star