Sponsored by:

Tickets for the 2002 British Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2001, 04:27 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I have today rung Silverstone about tickets for next years race to be told that you can now only buy a 3 day ticket at the price of £299 This I have been told is to cover for the 30,000 people that they are not letting in because of congestion of traffic to the circuit......Are we being ripped off or what????......Pi55es me right off that they can hold us to ransom like that.
Cheers
Colin
Old 24 October 2001, 04:30 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
just turn on the tv to itv colin, its free and there no hassle and u see a lot more! save the £300 and get the back box youre after instead!
Old 24 October 2001, 06:28 PM
Bad Bads
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have just got back from the USA and an indy champ car race at Laguna Seca in California.Ticket prices were $50 for entry,$25 for grandstand seat (opposite pit's) and this included entry to the paddock where all cars were available to be seen.I doubt whether F1 will ever offer this sort of package and I doubt if the racing will be as exciting.
Cheers Paul.
Old 24 October 2001, 06:56 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Agree it is a shame.

I have been to Silverstone on the Friday twice now as I love the spectacle but prefer to watch the 'race' on TV anyway.

Given this 3-day ticket situation it looks like this wouldn't be possible next year but fear not....

If all you want to see some F1 cars in action then head up there to one of the numerous testing days that are organised each year.

These are generally free to enter and on a good day you may see more on track activity than on a GP friday anyway.

See the silverstone-circuit.co.uk website for more details

Having been stuck in the car parks for hours before I can see why they had to do something but it seems a little drastic as they have already cut the nummbers down significantly from previous years.

I am not sure but wasn't there circa 200,000 there on race day when Mansell won (some time back in the Eighties) and the subsequent track invasion forced the FIA to limit numbers in the following years???

Old 24 October 2001, 07:39 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Silverstone is one of the most expensive F1's and in my opinion not worth the money. Unless your watching it on TV

If the FIA pulled their heads out of their a$$es they would realise that Rockingham would be a better venue...

Rant over

Nath
Old 24 October 2001, 08:07 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Cool

I agree with Stephen - go to one of the test days. I went this year and all but Minardi were there testing. As we walked through the paddock Michael Schumacher popped out from behind the Ferrari motorhome and further along I ended up standing next to Jean Alesi

It was great, really informal and loads of action but the best bit was that it didn't cost a penny I went to the BGP too and had a brilliant time and that was free as well 'cos we won a competition

What Silverstone need to be doing is sorting out access to the circuit a little bit faster than they have been, cutting ticket numbers sucks [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

As much as I love Silverstone I wouldn't be sad to see the GP moved to somewhere with better access on race day.

Sal
Old 24 October 2001, 09:08 PM
Mike M
Scooby Regular

This is truly eye-opening for me, as us Yanks have been told for the last two years what a bargain the USGP is, but have been given nothing to compare it to.

So, if you'll excuse my rough math, here it is:

1 Pound = approx. $1.50, so 299 Pounds is about $450.00. I bought a three day ticket to this year's USGP (including grandstand seat on raceday) for $110.00.

Guess ol' Tony George there at Indy has been telling the truth after all.

I'm really sorry to hear that you all have to pay so much. Silverstone is a great track, but they just can't seem to get the logistics right to host the race. Such a shame that the only move they can make is to reduce attendance by jacking ticket prices.
Old 24 October 2001, 09:25 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Unhappy

I thought I was hearing things. This is crazy.

I can remember turning up at the main gate at Silverstone, handing over my £3 admission and in I went.

In case you're wondering, £3 would also buy a lankful of petrol in those days.

No more family days out at the grand prix then.

Old 25 October 2001, 12:46 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Flying to the US for the race is probably a darn sight cheaper plus you get hours of free food and booze there and back.

I only ever go to testing - I hope that's still free??
Old 25 October 2001, 12:56 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Flying to the US for the race is probably a darn sight cheaper plus you get hours of free food and booze there and back.

I only ever go to testing - I hope that's still free??
Old 25 October 2001, 10:06 AM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

I used to go camping to Silverstone for 4 days every year - stopped in 2000 when they switched to April, and went to the Spanish instead, and again this year.

Comparison: Camping at the British for 4 days, tickets, beer, food etc. would cost about £300. This year went to Spain for a week (flying), cost about £400 including 3 days at the GP !!!!

Silverstone is a huge rip-off, but you cannot get the atmosphere on the TV. Every year the price goes up, but does the average punter get anything more ? Unfortunately not.
Old 25 October 2001, 10:36 AM
bigrex
Scooby Regular

Wink

Just go and watch an interesting form of racing instead like
Touring Cars
GT Racing
NASCAR !!!!
Champ Car
Caterhams
Tuscans
Formula Ford
Formula Renault
Mini Miglia
just about anything in fact. F1 is SO boring.

Flame suit on !!!
Old 25 October 2001, 04:24 PM
Slippy Diff
Scooby Regular

Todays Autosport will give you the Silverstone pricing details. Up until the 15th November a Sunday Grandstand seat is £165. After the 15th you can only buy a 3 day pass at £299 or £199 without a grandstand seat. Car parking will be £45 at the circuit or free park and ride.
My advice...........jump in your car and go to Spa. Three hours from Calais.
Failing that , save up and go to Rockingham next year. Do not be put off by this years event. At least you felt as though they wanted you there !!
Slippy
Old 25 October 2001, 04:33 PM
Slippy Diff
Scooby Regular

Todays Autosport will give you the Silverstone pricing details. Up until the 15th November a Sunday Grandstand seat is £165. After the 15th you can only buy a 3 day pass at £299 or £199 without a grandstand seat. Car parking will be £45 at the circuit or free park and ride.
Failing that , save up and go to Rockingham next year. Do not be put off by this years event. At least you felt as though they wanted you there !!
Slippy
Old 25 October 2001, 04:42 PM
Beemer_Deano
Scooby Regular

Talking

TV doesn't compare to the atmosphere of being there on race day, but £300 is way too much and would go a fair way towards a convenient holiday in the US (cunningly timed to coincide with race weekend). Hope the GF isn't reading this

Plus the problem with ITV is:-

"So here we are in the closing laps of the race, with Schumacher firmly in the lead. And we leave you now for a short commercial break."

3 minutes later "Well it's all change here. Michael Schumacher's race ended in dramatic fashion when his front left wheel overran the curb on turn 11, sending him into the tyrewall. Meanwhile in an incredible display of driving skill, Coultard has fought his way up from 5th to 1st place".

Maybe they could do like the Superbowl, and pause the race when the adverts come on

Dean

Old 25 October 2001, 05:04 PM
Slippy Diff
Scooby Regular

Slippy
Old 25 October 2001, 05:31 PM
Slippy Diff
Scooby Regular

Slippy
Old 25 October 2001, 05:57 PM
Slippy Diff
Scooby Regular

Slippy
Old 25 October 2001, 06:11 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
third time lucky slippy?
Old 25 October 2001, 06:27 PM
Slippy Diff
Scooby Regular

Slippy
Old 25 October 2001, 06:53 PM
Slippy Diff
Scooby Regular

Slippy