Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"How fast have you Driven,Post locked ???

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2001, 09:53 PM
Luke
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why ?????
For ages thousands have posted about how fast their cars are. Do we all expect them to be on a track when they are doing fast speeds??

What was the problem ????? Or is it not very "PC"........

Old 23 October 2001, 10:26 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

luke

i think the answer in this day and age has to be yes.

get on a track and make it clear u were on a track. some of the posts in that thread were perhaps a tad silly / boasting / un-PC.

dont get me wrong i bought mine cos i knew it went quick if i wanted.

u only have to look at tht story in the Mail last week about that impreza owner who killed a friend of his sons. very bad PR for a scoob yet all cars are weapons if used stupidly.

but then so is a pen knife !

sadd state of affairs but SN is having to think a lot more about whats acceptable - see the threads about Meets and anti-social / unwarranted or perhaps just plain stupid behaviour on public highways ?

Old 23 October 2001, 10:35 PM
WillieF
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I am sorry Luke 'so what' IMHO I know my car goes very fast probably faster than my ***** will allow me - even on the track... why the need to boast about how fast we have gone?

I personally think that all threads of the speed nature should be closed automatically.

Just my opinion of course.....

Old 23 October 2001, 11:15 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Angry

Hard Call this one! I can understand why this post was closed but I don't agree with locking it ,political correctness is not IMHO any reason to close a post, send it to the muppet forum if you must maybe but censorship of this type I see as a massive over reaction.
Was the post rude.......no.
was it offensive.........no
did it slander anyone.......no
Strange as it may seem to some I was really interested to see if many people had sustained high speeds on the autobahn without engine problems but there you go!
Old 24 October 2001, 07:40 AM
Luke
BANNED

WillieF

Most of the posts here are some form of boast. I 've got this...
I can afford that..... My car has done......

There was NO reason to lock this post.

Some of the Moderators must have been "Prefects "at School !!!

I just believe that it was a valid post.
Old 24 October 2001, 08:05 AM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

Question

How can you ban people from talking about speed? After all that is one of the fundamental things that this forum is about.
Old 24 October 2001, 08:22 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK..

When threads are locked, it has nothing to do with what I, the moderators or ANY one individual personally wants. It has to do with either a) legalities, or b) what the *community* wants.

I did not close that thread, but I have personally received a number of complaints about it.

So it *did* offend people.

We're only here to do what you all want and to look after the site / legal issues. It's a thankless task at times, but rest assured we like nothing less than closing or deleting a post on scoobynet, so it will only EVER be done with VERY good reason.

All the best

Simon
Old 24 October 2001, 08:37 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Well said Simon... wizzy red writing btw
Old 24 October 2001, 09:00 AM
Dave!
Scooby Regular

Never before have i been wound up enough to reply to a thread like this but what the hell...
I Reckon if your intention of buying a Scoob was to be PC then it's time to rethink and sell it.
If you're never gonna speed then you're obviously never really using the car so what's the point. As for only really using the performance to it's fullest when you're on a track well thats just plain sad, surely you bought the car for road use?
Wake up - just what attracted you to a Scoob in the first place? More than likely it was the cars reputation for speed, handling and excitement and now some of you are saying you won't use that on the open road cause it's not pc? Well not me - and, Big brother if you're watching, i'm still using it for the purpose it was designed and using it HARD!
No flamesuit required (obviously).
Old 24 October 2001, 09:06 AM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

If this topic offends people then they should stick to other forums that just cover technical issues etc. Everyone knows that from time to time you exceed the speed limit and there is nothing wrong with telling people about an experience you had. In terms of legality, theres no way anyone could prosecute you based on what you post on this forum unless you post a video or highly revealing picture.
Old 24 October 2001, 09:12 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Who cares how fast you can go in a straight line? Scoobies ain't that fast anyway, aerodynamics of a brick. They are quick though, accelerating and cornering are where they excel.
My Audi could go faster in a straight line than my STi, but I'm selling the Audi/keeping the STI.
I found the thread offensive.
Chuck
Old 24 October 2001, 09:23 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
What a bunch of idiots. How can the bbs be seen to condone breaking the legal speed limits, by in excess of twice the legal limit..... Allowing these type of threads to continue, would make it appear that the Webmaster/owner condones speeding.

I'm no saint, but I guess being a little older than the average owner, negates the need for me to boast about how fast my car goes, or how big, and brave I am (yes, this is supposed to be sarcastic, and condesending

Use some common sense.

Mark.....
Old 24 October 2001, 09:35 AM
JohnS

I closed the thread for a number of reasons:

a) These threads appear every so often, and have done for the past few years. They almost always end up in flame wars, with people boasting that "my car is faster than you", or "I've got bigger b*lls than you because I drove my car 3mph faster"

b) no-one (apart from a few who have done timed top speed trials) will have accurate data to back up their claim.

c) All the cars owned by 90% of the owners on this BBS will have cars capable of a top speed in the region of 140 - 150mph.

d) We all know the cars are capable of going that fast, and many owners and magazines have proved so.

e) I'm not suggesting that no-one on here ever speeds, but boasting about it (ahem, on private roads of course ) doesn't make you a more respected member of the community.

f) A casual observer of the website could get the wrong impression that all Scooby owners are obsessed about top speed, and regularly boast about driving at 150+mph. This image might appeal to a few owners, but I would guess this is a small percentage.

g) There is always a chance that someone will try and beat someone elses top speed claim (whether on private roads or not). How would you feel if you found out that someone's engine blew up, or worse still they crashed their car at those sort of speeds when trying to better your claim of a top speed.

h) I think I'm out of reasons now
Old 24 October 2001, 09:36 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

I think you can condone breaking a "legal speed limit" and still advocate safe driving.Safe driving has nothing to do with sticking within a preset limit but driving to your ability,the location,the conditions and the car itself.I don't condone someone going 29 mph in a 30 if it is in a dangerous area ie near a school,when 15 would be the safe speed.I also happen to believe that you can "break" limits perfectly safely.

So I think your opinion on "condoning" breaking speed imits is rather out of place in a forum such as this.I respect your opinion,but respectfully suggest you take a trip to the ABD website.No offence mate,just disagreeing.

And imo,if a thread offends or gets the site into trouble,either with bad PR or even with the internet inpectors,then it should be locked.I doubt anyone has the right to insist on this site being totally non-pc when it isn't their livelihood at stake.

ps disagreeing with the previous post but one,the one about "speed limits"!!

[Edited by dba - 10/24/2001 9:38:24 AM]
Old 24 October 2001, 09:46 AM
mook
Scooby Regular

As Dave says above, I've never felt the need to reply to such posts before either, but in this case I feel an exeption can be made.

Would it not be fair to say that locking a thread because a few members of the BBS object would be pandering to lobbyists, which is hardly fair or PC to the rest of the community who are not offended or bothered by the topic??

In choosing what vehicles to purchase, I consider many aspects, and one is straight line speed, so it was interesting to know what people had experienced with their cars. Especially with turbos and the threat of damage given the increase in inlet temp that sustained acceleration/top speed would entail.

Back to the point, as said above, a lot of posting does invole a certain amount of 'boasting' - let's face it, we post pics of our motors and mods in the Members Gallary because we want everyone to see them and express an opinion, hopefully a good one. I personally feel it is more a case of pride in our vehicles rather than boasting. Lets be honest, we're not in the playground now are we (apart from the muppet forum )

The Scoobynet BBS has a huge disclaimer at the bottom of pretty much every page stating that opinions are not necessarily that of Scoobynet etc. which covers legal positions.

I'm a long standing member of a mailing list in which we have a 'protocol' for such stories. If we wish to recall stories of exessive speed, and such like, we start the story with, 'In this dream I had...' or some such. We realise that openly encouraging breaking of the law is not ideal but unless a post has content which is blatently offensive, racist, promoting illegal activity, it is left alone.

basicly, with so many members off this BBS, you will not please everybody, but I feel that taking actions on the request of the few will spoil it for the majority.

As a general notw I also feel that the whole world has become far too PC, and if people can't express their opinions for fear of social outcry then the opinions will go underground and end up causing the kind of problems we see on the news today. Let's not be like that here, live and let live I say.

Phew, now, back to the Muppet Forum for me
Old 24 October 2001, 10:04 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Although not offended by the thread in question, I was uncomfortable with it. I expected it to get locked eventually. Despite the fact I speed (when appropriate) myself.

I was once a passenger in a BMW 535i Sport being driven by a mate of mine. He was averaging 140mph for some time on the M1 during the day on a Saturday. It was a ludicrous speed to be doing at that time. The differencial in speed was extremely dangerous. It is very rare for over 100mph to be safe on British motorways, mainly because most roads users cannot comprehend people doing these speeds and do not account for it.

Apart from that, Scoobynet cannot afford to be associated with people boasting about a level of speeding that would probably result in a custodial sentence, any more than it could condone a thread on "Tips for an effective burgulary". Apart from the legal standpoint, imagine a well known member of this BBS being in court for a serious speeding offence. The prosecution could well use subscription to this board as evidence towards proving that said defendant was an irresponsible motorist if this BBS was seen to condone serious speeding.
Old 24 October 2001, 10:06 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

I'd guess it was locked because it is junior school playground talk. The sort of topic my 7 year old son shouts about with his mates. (I know I did at his age too.)

And as for the "gentleman" who waxes lyrical above about not using the car so why have one etc. holy man who knows it all. Mind your own business. And for God's sake never drive anywhere near me or my family, please.

With freedom comes responsability. Similarly adulthood.

[Edited by BarryK - 10/24/2001 10:07:03 AM]
Old 24 October 2001, 10:18 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Angry

I'll crawl out of the hutch to air my view as well.
If I went to the Isle of man and took the Cossie out of built up areas I would be legally allowed to go as fast as I damn well pleased as long as I was in control of the car. If it was safe to do 150mph, I would do it. Its what the car was built for. Simple as that. However, If I go 60 miles due west onto the mainland then I would have to cope with a blanket 70mph limit be it in summer sun or a blizzard.
Which is the more sensible?
My personal opinion is that the 70mph limit is for numptie drivers who dont know the limitations of their cars and do not know how to control them. People who have the machinery capable of going faster and the comptence to do so and still be in control of the car, should not, In my opinion, be bound by the same limit.
Most people on this board take their driving seriously. I would be perfectly happy to be thrown round the nurburgring by Mr. Felstead at whatever speed he chose simply because I know that he has the experience and competence to do so and keep control of the car.
Speed is not dangerous. Ingorance about what your limitations are as a driver is the real danger.
Sorry to get so heavy, but I feel strongly about this.
astraboy.
Old 24 October 2001, 10:38 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
dba,

You're taking what I said out of context. I didn't mention speeding, relative to safety, I'm talking purely about speed, the law, and the implications to the bbs, when such childish threads are started.

I'm NOT being holier-than-thou, on the odd occasion, I've been known to exceed the 70 limit , but I don't feel the need to contribute to the ever increasing "Max Power" threads that are appearing.

Mark.

Old 24 October 2001, 10:43 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
astraboy
It's not about how much control you have over your car. I am sure I could make through the S bend in my village at about 90MPH and be in complete control of my car at the same time.. But I do 25 - 30 MPH through there as I need as much time as anybody to react to a branch falling off a tree, or padestrian falling into the road, or a deer running out, etc, etc.

Everyone.
This thread was not locked to say "speeding is bad", and I agree that 70MPH is not always the safe speed, sometimes it is higher. but...

saying "how fast have you gone" and bragging about it, is not a demonstration of safe drivers conversing about their responsability on the road. I'm not going to get into a long one about all this, but if you REALLY can't see why it had to be locked I don't think anything I can say will change that.

All the best

Simon
Old 24 October 2001, 10:46 AM
mook
Scooby Regular

I suppose we all know that Scoobies are better at taking corners anyway
Old 24 October 2001, 11:05 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Red face

Yeah simon, fair point. What i meant to say was control of the car as well as taking into account the surrounding conditions. I.E. where it is safe to do the kind of speeds being discussed.
Engaged fingers before brain.
I'm off back to the hutch
astraboy.
Old 24 October 2001, 11:12 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Surely a more interesting and entertaining thread would be "How fast have you gone in your fave car in GT/GT2/GT3 on PSX/PSX2"

Actually, i will start that one..........see Non Scooby related

Dave
Old 24 October 2001, 11:15 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Question

Simon,

I 'dont' see why it 'had' to be locked, surely a better way would have been the for the 'community' to frown upon such actions and thus educate (as has happened in previous threads), rather than the heavy handed approach which 1. sounds like my Dad, and 2. infers "Its my ball"

And if threads containing references to 'top speed' are going to be locked, does that mean threads involving th word 'slide' or 'oversteer' are going to be locked too? as they could be interpreted as condoning 'dangerous driving'
Old 24 October 2001, 12:06 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

R19ket,

fair point!! It was 50/50 which side of the fence you were on,and I got it wrong,soz.

These threads happen in every forum and one got locked in Evo as well,prolly for the same reasons.Seems fair enough.
Old 24 October 2001, 12:13 PM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I would usally agree that deleating these type of non PC threads sucks, but like JohnS says all the scoobys do about the same top end anyway, so why bother with the thread?
Old 24 October 2001, 12:24 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Talking

....and maybe Subaru should stop putting the top speed spec in their brochures then
Old 24 October 2001, 12:35 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Red face

This thread should be dumped in the Muppet forum
Old 24 October 2001, 01:31 PM
Kosy
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Simon/John,

Much as i respect you and the comments you made i am a wee bit surpirsed/disappointed that the thread was locked.

I mean i've seen loads of these types of threads before and im pretty sure they didn't get locked. There was even one with a guy that had a pic of his speedo reading 160mph. I think they are just a bit of lighthearted fun.

Correct me if im wrong but it seems that these threads are now getting shut because of recent events like that Scooby meet with the cyclists and stories mentioned above in the press.

At the end of the day i want what everyone here wants ("whats best for Scoobynet"). So if it has to be done to cover our backs and keep this bbs running then so be it. Its just a sad day when that happens though.

Thanks for reading this,

Kos

PS Please don't think im having a go at you in any way. I just wanted to add my thoughts. Keep up the good work that you are doing!!
Old 24 October 2001, 01:47 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Angry

I posted in the original thread.

Not about top speed (no idea cos I ain't been that fast)but the "oh do you realy think we should mention top speed on a car forum dedicated to proformance cars" PC rubbish. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Next you won't be able to say 0-60 in 6 secs or understear or tyre with best grip or what bhp cos they all have some innuendo as the proformance of you killer car.

This is the first time that a locking a thread has got me genuinely annoyed [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Ian

ps where is the spol chock?

Quick Reply: "How fast have you Driven,Post locked ???